• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Where to start with an optic for my precision rifle?

Rate_of_Twist

Rate Of Twist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
www.rateoftwist.com
So, starting with the "tips" thread items

What is the platform for the scope?
BOLT ACTION

What cartridge are you shooting?
6.5 CREEDMOOR

What is your intended use for the scope?
PRS style - PRS production division configuration

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
No specific light condition requirements

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
600 regularly, 1000+ on specific occasion

Are there any specific specifications you would like?
Mil / Mil not sure on other items

What is the price range you can afford?
$2000

After looking around the market for my first precision rifle setup Ive decided to dive in and place a deposit on a PVA J. Hancock in 6.5 creedmoor. While I wait for Production to begin on the rifle, I know have time to begin the search for glass to put on it.

The PVA J.H. being a production rifle, specifically manufactured to be legal in PRS production division has me thinking that I should probably be considering an optic that stays within those rules as well. Frankly, I'm a long way off from being ready to show up at a match and join in, as I lack the experience and matches in my area are not all that plentiful. My original budget for this setup was $2500-$3500, but I can already see going to go over (and that's ok)

So, what is out there that migjt fit into the $2k msrp for Production PRS division that is a good solid optic? $2k msrp seems like a difficult task

Dan

In your price range I would be calling dealers and asking their best price on a Vortex HD Gen II 4.5 -27X. If one meets your price be ready to pull the trigger, don't expect them to hold it while you continue to shop.

In your price range I would be calling dealers and asking their best price on a Vortex HD Gen II 4.5 -27X. If one meets your price be ready to pull the trigger, don't expect them to hold it while you continue to shop.

While I agree if he was just trying to stay at 2k for financial reasons this is a good option, he has to stay under 2k msrp for production division PRS.

The Razor HD gen 1 might be a good option here. The MSRP is 1999.99 and they can be found for much much less. I've only looked through one a couple times and never owned, but from all reports it's a pretty good scope.

I think the athlon Cronus fits into production class rules too but I'm not certain.

Put a Bushnell DMR II-i on the comparison list.

The Athlon Cronus BTR JUST squeaks under by a penny.
The Bushnell DMR II will give you a bit of room.
A Gen 1 Razor, SWFA 5-20, Sightmark Pinnacle, Primary Arms Platinum etc... are all high quality, Japanese made scopes and should work nicely.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I bought the gen 1 razor that came with a spuhr mount from Mile high, couldn't be happier. A friend of mine has the swfa and it's great too. Can't go wrong with either. I'm sure the bushnell are of the same quality

I'd ignore the production division entirely and get what you want. For me, S&B 5-25.

The division you shoot doesn't change your individual standing at a match and it doesn't change your course of fire so I see no point in possibly hindering your ability with an equipment handicap when you were and are willing to drop more money on the optic. Yes your rifle falls into production division but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it or that it's even a good idea. That rifle will compete with anything else out there, you might as well match it with an optic that does as well so you know that your equipment is not the limiting factor. There will be no doubt what YOU did wrong and never have to wonder if the equipment limited your performance and you'll know what you need to improve upon.

My $.02

Some features I personally would never go without on a scope for that would be a FFP reticle and accurate turrets.
If you really have to stick to under 2000 msrp maybe check out an SWFA.

If you don't have to stick under 2000 msrp, but want to stick under 2000$, a Steiner T5XI would fit the bill. I think they're around the 1300-1700 mark or so.

If you could, definitely consider stretching the budget a bit and pick up a 5-25 SB for about 2400$.

The Athlon Cronus BTR JUST squeaks under by a penny.
The Bushnell DMR II will give you a bit of room.
A Gen 1 Razor, SWFA 5-20, Sightmark Pinnacle, Primary Arms Platinum etc... are all high quality, Japanese made scopes and should work nicely.

That's MSRP on the Athlon and they can be found quite a bit cheaper. I like mine so far, glass is good, probably better than most of those listed.

That's MSRP on the Athlon and they can be found quite a bit cheaper. I like mine so far, glass is good, probably better than most of those listed.
Understood, the class goes by MSRP. yes, they can be purchased significantly cheaper.

So, starting with the "tips" thread items

What is the platform for the scope?
BOLT ACTION

What cartridge are you shooting?
6.5 CREEDMOOR

What is your intended use for the scope?
PRS style - PRS production division configuration

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
No specific light condition requirements

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
600 regularly, 1000+ on specific occasion

Are there any specific specifications you would like?
Mil / Mil not sure on other items

What is the price range you can afford?
$2000

After looking around the market for my first precision rifle setup Ive decided to dive in and place a deposit on a PVA J. Hancock in 6.5 creedmoor. While I wait for Production to begin on the rifle, I know have time to begin the search for glass to put on it.

The PVA J.H. being a production rifle, specifically manufactured to be legal in PRS production division has me thinking that I should probably be considering an optic that stays within those rules as well. Frankly, I'm a long way off from being ready to show up at a match and join in, as I lack the experience and matches in my area are not all that plentiful. My original budget for this setup was $2500-$3500, but I can already see going to go over (and that's ok)

So, what is out there that migjt fit into the $2k msrp for Production PRS division that is a good solid optic? $2k msrp seems like a difficult task

Dan

Bushnell LRTSi

http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/elite-tactical/lrts-i-4-5-18x-44mm

John

I'd ignore the production division entirely and get what you want. For me, S&B 5-25.

The division you shoot doesn't change your individual standing at a match and it doesn't change your course of fire so I see no point in possibly hindering your ability with an equipment handicap when you were and are willing to drop more money on the optic. Yes your rifle falls into production division but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it or that it's even a good idea. That rifle will compete with anything else out there, you might as well match it with an optic that does as well so you know that your equipment is not the limiting factor. There will be no doubt what YOU did wrong and never have to wonder if the equipment limited your performance and you'll know what you need to improve upon.

My $.02

The S&B is what I want (i think) but there is also the aspect of I have completely ruined my budget with purchasing one. I'm completely new to this (other than shooting a bit of NRA high power) so I need lots of expensive stuff... ammo and components, bipod and spotting scoppe... all for something I have zero skills and zero first hand knowledge with at the moment.

I'd 86 the spotter out of the budget to put towards the better optic if needed. You'll get more out of the better optic than a spotter. If you go to a PRS match you may see one person in a squad dragging a spotter around. IMO they're really not needed unless you're spotting for someone or they're spotting for you while out shooting.

Reactions: Rate_of_Twist
The S&B is what I want (i think) but there is also the aspect of I have completely ruined my budget with purchasing one. I'm completely new to this (other than shooting a bit of NRA high power) so I need lots of expensive stuff... ammo and components, bipod and spotting scoppe... all for something I have zero skills and zero first hand knowledge with at the moment.
If you shot high power with even a modicum of success, then you have the skills required.
+1 on ditching the spotter.
The S&B would be the cats ass, but there are MANY folks competing with Bushnell and Burris products.
The tier one stuff is awesome, but, as you are aware, you will need lots of other stuff.
This deal is almost impossible to beat a very good scope with a top of the line mounting system:
https://www.milehighshooting.com/vo...or-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-10mrad-free-spuhr-mount/

I've had the Gen I and Gen II Bushnell DMR scopes, and both were just fine for PRS matches.

Even though I upgraded to a Khales, my best match results were with the Bushnell.

I'd 86 the spotter out of the budget to put towards the better optic if needed. You'll get more out of the better optic than a spotter. If you go to a PRS match you may see one person in a squad dragging a spotter around. IMO they're really not needed unless you're spotting for someone or they're spotting for you while out shooting.

Thanks on the spotter advice. I was thinking for more when shooting alone at paper but, it's good advice. And probably a waste at first. Even if I do decide to add one I'll just just go with an inexpensive Celestron now that you mention it's not that useful

If you shot high power with even a modicum of success, then you have the skills required.
+1 on ditching the spotter.
The S&B would be the cats ass, but there are MANY folks competing with Bushnell and Burris products.
The tier one stuff is awesome, but, as you are aware, you will need lots of other stuff.
This deal is almost impossible to beat a very good scope with a top of the line mounting system:
https://www.milehighshooting.com/vo...or-hd-5-20x50-ebr-2b-10mrad-free-spuhr-mount/

So I guess the whole point of the question, is how to best maximize where to spend my money on what is needed.

I get what others have said about not worrying about staying in production division. Shooting high power I guess I kinda viewed it like being restricted into shooting in service rifle

My $.02

I was not aware of this bmxer as I don't shoot PRS, so what is the point of having a production class if you're going to be scored with the rest? I thought it was setup so the Production Division was scored separately and therefore you would compete with others within those constraints, but if that is not the case then I agree, why the heck limit yourself.

Unless the SWFA 5-20 now has zero stop, it's a no go for competition.

Thats BS. It is a good scope with very good glass and tracking. It also has 10 mil turrets, how often are you past 10mil at a comp?

I've owned the 5-20 and a Henny NH1. Got rid of both for same reason. Knock yourself out without a zero stop in competition.

I’ve gone through (2) Gen 1 Razors, (2) Steiner T5XI’s, and then I got a Cronus BTR which is my favorite so far. Of the other ones, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Gen 1 Razor as they are great scopes that can be found for really good prices! I regret getting rid of my last one. But, for the local 1000 yd matches that I’ll be competing in this year, I still prefer the Cronus BTR. Tracks spot on, good glass, nice mag range, not overly long or heavy, and the Athlon guys are great to work with if anything does happen with your scope.

I'd ignore the production division entirely and get what you want.

My $.02

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Look for a good price on a new Razor Gen 2 4.5x with EBR-2C reticle and go from there. And yes, don't bother with the spotting scope. You'll have a fun enough time dragging your gun and pack around the comps that make you hike everywhere. Even if you got a great one for free, you might end up leaving it at home rather than adding ANOTHER bulky heavy thing to drag around/tripod. Most friends/people can spot just fine with their rifle scopes. $$$ is much better off in a rifle scope that does both at $2k over a $1k scope and a $1k spotter which both will be replaced in time because your eyes get blurry

and congrats on the Hancock. it's the rifle I'd get if I was getting a new one now. the price is enticing for a rifle that will flat out shoot. Would make a great backup rifle for guys that can afford customs exactly the way they like as well

I’ve gone through (2) Gen 1 Razors, (2) Steiner T5XI’s, and then I got a Cronus BTR which is my favorite so far. Of the other ones, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Gen 1 Razor as they are great scopes that can be found for really good prices! I regret getting rid of my last one. But, for the local 1000 yd matches that I’ll be competing in this year, I still prefer the Cronus BTR. Tracks spot on, good glass, nice mag range, not overly long or heavy, and the Athlon guys are great to work with if anything does happen with your scope.

Do you have a review, or can you tell me why you got rid of your Steiner? I was trying to decide between that, or the Athlon Cronus BTR for my next scope for a build.

This for me too, only add the DMRII, XTRII, Steiner 4-16, Weaver 6-30 to the list. There is a reason the Cronus costs more than the others.

Cronus BTR is still leading in my list of options for an optic, but some of the pricing on the S&B PMII that are floating around on sale is making it hard to make a choice.

I like to pay for all of my "toys" with cash, so now that ive for the rifle paid for time to start stashing away cash for the optic. Maybe ill get lucky and there will still be deals on the S&B in a couple of months when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

How much am I giving up with the Cronus over the S&B? I as a novice, will I even know the difference?

Cronus BTR is still leading in my list of options for an optic, but some of the pricing on the S&B PMII that are floating around on sale is making it hard to make a choice.

I like to pay for all of my "toys" with cash, so now that ive for the rifle paid for time to start stashing away cash for the optic. Maybe ill get lucky and there will still be deals on the S&B in a couple of months when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

How much am I giving up with the Cronus over the S&B? I as a novice, will I even know the difference?
You'll never know, till you look through and handle both.
Then, you'll wonder why you would even consider something less than the S&B.
I can't afford an S&B, but I've played with them. yeah, they are that good.

Having used/owned both the Cronus, Cronus BTR and S&B's, it's like this. You pay a lot more for slightly higher refinement.

Like the old car vs cars analogy, a new super charged Corvette may not have the refinement of an exotic euro sports car but it still is one awesome ride.

I definitely prefer the reticles in both Cronus scopes but I will always like the H59 in the S&B which costs a bunch more. Cronus BTR, I like the daylight bright illume and prefer the length and weight. The turrets on my BTR are such that I won't compare feel because they are that good and I like the spacing and simplicity of the 10 mil knobs, but yes I still like S&B turrets for what they offer.

The glass in the Cronus is very good, just slightly behind S&B. With the Cronus at 29x I can resolve more detail but the S&B has warmer color.

I hate the thought of selling my S&B's, I hope it doesn't come to that, there's just something about an S&B, but I'm done spending what they cost! If I buy any more new scopes in this category it'll be the Cronus BTR's unless some other scope comes out that is the same price and offers significantly more value.

Last edited:
Just shoot open class gen2 razor,amg,sandb lots of nice scopes around 2k on here