• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to start with new powder? Calculator?

TC308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Hello, i havent been reloading for about 3 years due to my last job being auper busy. Now im ready to start again and start shooting much more and this bwing the great time that it is, i canr find my usual powders anywhere.

Ill have to order obline because literally have foubd no powder locally.

Question is, other tha trying ro find aomething similar on a burn rate chart, where do i start? Is there somewhere online i can put my rifle data and get a couple good starting points?

I have an 18" 22-250 so most of the reccomendations in books are not ideal since they use 24" barrels for their data.

I can't bring myself to pay $150 for quickload just yet because I only load for 3 cartridges at the moment.

Thoughts?

The fact that your barrel is shorter than standard has virtually nothing to do with your powder choice. If you believe you must use a faster powder for your shorter barrel, just pick one from published load data.

The fact that your barrel is shorter than standard has virtually nothing to do with your powder choice. If you believe you must use a faster powder for your shorter barrel, just pick one from published load data.
I disagree. I built my 18" gun at the same time I built my buddies 21". I used his load and was 200fps slower with variety. Switched to h4895 and matched his velocity.

If barrel length didn't matter, wouldn't we all use the same powder for each cartridge?

Only reason I'm looking for something now, is that I can't find 4895 and I want to switch bullets. And honestly, 4895 was just a random guess, worked ok so I rolled with it.

I disagree. I built my 18" gun at the same time I built my buddies 21". I used his load and was 200fps slower with variety. Switched to h4895 and matched his velocity.

If barrel length didn't matter, wouldn't we all use the same powder for each cartridge?

Only reason I'm looking for something now, is that I can't find 4895 and I want to switch bullets. And honestly, 4895 was just a random guess, worked ok so I rolled with it.

No of course not, because burn rate requirements are dependent on case volume, bore size, and bullet weight. I’ve done these tests forwards and backwards across a number of cartridges. There’s more to your example than youre considering.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I used varget or imr4320 with my 20" 22-250.....I tried the h414 and didn't like it.

I would search hogdon load data online. Maybe IMR4064 , benchmark, 8208xbr, x terminator, h335 ........