• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

where would i look for a good mosin nagant 9130 sniper for a build?

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
looking for a 1943 tula mosin nagant 9139 7.62x54r for a sniper build where do I look first for the rifle in best shape as poss, then scope and mount want to keep it as orig as poss thanks, I've never owned one but they look like they shoot awesome and ammos cheap... someone point me on the right path...

Buy a correct refurbished 43 Tula PU for about $650, or even less. It is generally not financially wise to put one together because parts and labor will usually exceed what you can buy the real deal for.

Classic firearms and aim surplus. I have got good mosins from both places. Classic had some "B" grade rifles for $89 so I picked one up for a buddy of mine and it turned out to be in the best shape of the five I have bought.

Big 5 a chain store was were I used to get some deals.

Hit up Cabela's religiously, I've found scopeless snipers, Tula and Izzy ex-snipers in the mix of general population. Even one MO marked rifle.

This PU-Sniper was done up by George Tossan for me. I can't recommend his work more highly.

http://i.imgur.com/FtJw3mc.jpg

I bought a nice Mosin 91/30 at a gun show for $120. I got a replica PU scope and mount on gun broker, at the time there were a lot for sale, for $300. Then I had my smith drill & tap the mount and notch the stock for $100. Overall I spent $520 to get the Mosin PU Sniper I wanted. I have seen a couple PU snipers at shows and they are usually in the 450 to 600 range, Most are in decent shape, but the scopes on the ones I've seen are yellowed and scratched. I'll post pictures later, I do not have them available right now. By the way, they do shoot excellent, its one of my favorites!

Last edited:
J&G Sales had Mosin Nagant PU sniper rifles for $600... I picked up a 1943 Tula just a week ago.

The stock was roughed up a bit...

IMG_7225_zpse1cede58.jpg

But everything else was in great shape!

IMG_7222_zpsf68118e9.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for the real deal!

Again, that's a beautiful Tula you got, Dragon. Love the later Tula sniper stocks, too. Thick in the wrist and belly and have a whole different feel to them.

Buy a correct refurbished 43 Tula PU for about $650, or even less. It is generally not financially wise to put one together because parts and labor will usually exceed what you can buy the real deal for.

+1

Check the forum classifieds for recent PU imports, they should be in the $600 range when they come up for sale. You may want to look at JG sales as mentioned.

+1 for the real deal!

Again, that's a beautiful Tula you got, Dragon. Love the later Tula sniper stocks, too. Thick in the wrist and belly and have a whole different feel to them.

Even though the stock is rough on the eyes (from a chpped shilac point-of-view), it does feel very comfortable in my hands...

+1

Check the forum classifieds for recent PU imports, they should be in the $600 range when they come up for sale. You may want to look at JG sales as mentioned.

When I bought my rifle, they only had 27 pieces left... J&G could very well be out of stock now... but call and ask for José, he was the most knowledgeable of J&G Mosin Nagant PU inventory... he helped select my rifle.

I read a day or two ago that J&G was down to only two. There are a couple decent ones on Gunbroker, but the prices are a bit high (and one that's been bid up to a pretty crazy level by some NR bidder). Also, plenty of repros/fakes on Gunbroker As a general rule, don't ever buy anything from anyone in Eagle, Idaho!

Don't overlook Samco's "Scopeless" snipers, either. They're original and you can get them with the holes still open and pins still present. A great base to build from. No guarantee that you can slap a mount on without some fitting, but the one I restored was pretty easy (just make sure you get the right sized base).

Would there be anything wrong with doing a scoped hex-receiver Finn M39? Did Finland use the same scopes as Russia for their snipers?

Thanks.

Would there be anything wrong with doing a scoped hex-receiver Finn M39? Did Finland use the same scopes as Russia for their snipers?

Thanks.
The Finns had a couple of sniper variants of the M39. The most prevalent was probably the M39/SOV, but even those were in very small numbers (less than 500, if I recall) and they are extremely rare. It used a top mount and PE/PEM scope like the early Soviet 91/30 snipers. Most collectors frown on drilling/tapping an M39, since there were only like 100,000 of them ever made.

Here's My 1942 that I posted about. I forgot to add the $50 bolt job that "The Boltman" did to make it a replica sniper bolt which brings the total to $570.

bNjdibz.jpg

v2pRndu.jpg

r7M41qa.jpg

ixv04Qu.jpg

Edit: Just Thought I'd Add a reticle pic because I love it!

I had done some research a while back (never did end up buying one) but "seemed" that the R-Guns snipers (which have been around/for sale for years) are 100% legit and original.

That's from my research, YMMV. Check them out if you're serious about a collectible quality sniper.

Others, please comment on whether I'm off-base on this?

I had done some research a while back (never did end up buying one) but "seemed" that the R-Guns snipers (which have been around/for sale for years) are 100% legit and original.

That's from my research, YMMV. Check them out if you're serious about a collectible quality sniper.

Others, please comment on whether I'm off-base on this?
The RGuns rifles are refurbs, as well. I can say that of the ones I've seen in person and posted online, they seemed to have more examples that contained more parts that were original to THAT particular rifle. However, all of them do not. The first batch of Molots also had a few that looked to be this way (like Tulas with all Tula parts, including the correct, stamped metal floorplate). They're all refurbs, though. I haven't seen one that I could say I was 100% sure had not seen some sort of refinishing, at least on a minor level.

ETA: A lot of people seem to be put off by the fact that 99.9% of the available PU snipers, even though they are "real", are refurbished. Case in point; I recently took one of my PU rifles with me to a show, thinking that I might sell it if I could at least get current market value for it. A few people looked at it. One guy who looked at it seemed horrified that it was a refurb rifle. Almost as if he was going to buy an untouched original for the current refurb price. Sorry buddy, but those sell for several thousand, IF you can find one. The current $600-$800 price range for an "average" refurbed PU is a steal. We've been spoiled by the recent flow of imports and when those are gone (which will likely be very soon), the prices are going to skyrocket, even on those. I predict that, in even a couple years, people will remembering the "good ole days" of sub $1k snipers. Hell, I even watched a Molot '43 Izvhevsk sell on Gunbroker, a week or so ago, for $1044. I see many more approach that on a regular basis. People are already paying a premium, rather than rolling the dice on ordering something "luck of the draw" from a vendor.

Last edited: