• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where'd all the AR bolt/bolt carriers go??

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    Anyone know where all the bolt carrier groups went? All the 200 dollar bcg's are still around here and there but the everyman bcg's are all but gone. And no, there's no galaxy wide steel shortage either lol, are they all being earmarked for complete guns maybe?

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76
    There is a steel shortage in reality. Lead times are many weeks now and the price of steel has roughly doubled in the last two weeks. That after the price hikes at the end of last year.

Reactions: Changed
    Optics planet has some if you still need them for $110
    As for where they went? Well people are probably hoarding them and covid rules stopping factories from running at full capacity doesn't help

Reactions: Bangswitch_6x47
    I think it's just the same old thing. Everything is out of stock. My son is waiting on a trigger for a Glock and they told him 90 to 180 days. It's not some exotic trigger but not stock either.

Ah ok, covid still having factories either shut down or operating at reduced capacity could do something like that for sure; good point.

have a buddy that works at a steel foundry and another at a stamping plant, and my brother works in a fabricating shop that are telling me they get steel in all the time, no change, no shortages. It must be a state to state thing then.

I ask about bolts, because besides bolts (and of course barrels and receivers) everything else seems to be moving ok. I have 3 AR's in the process of building and have been pretty lucky with the rest of their parts; availability was ok as was pricing.

Has nothing to do with steel. We are in one of the largest gun runs ever.

Local shops still have everything so try them out.

The best BCG's IMO are factory Colt m16's. You can find them on GB from $100-250. Used is fine.

1614050735548.png

Ah ok, covid still having factories either shut down or operating at reduced capacity could do something like that for sure; good point.

have a buddy that works at a steel foundry and another at a stamping plant, and my brother works in a fabricating shop that are telling me they get steel in all the time, no change, no shortages. It must be a state to state thing then.

I ask about bolts, because besides bolts (and of course barrels and receivers) everything else seems to be moving ok. I have 3 AR's in the process of building and have been pretty lucky with the rest of their parts; availability was ok as was pricing.
    One of the highest quality steel mills in the world just laid 400 people off.
    They shutdown 3 furnaces,a caster and a rolling mill.
    Timken Co Canton Ohio

Rubber City armory has all the BCG you want or need

I think it depends on what exactly you are looking for. For example a few months ago I looked into getting a part nitrided. I contacted a company and they told me 'they' no longer offered the service. They then said they [previously] would gather small parts and submit batches to the people that really know what they are doing in that aspect. Just because a gun smith is a good gun smith he might not know shit about how to do some specialized process like cerakote or treating steel.

Particularly regarding bolt carrier groups those parts have to be made of the right stuff and heat treated under extremely specific conditions and have whatever kind of coating done. If it gets messed up your bolt will break within 50 rounds. It's not nearly as simple as some people may think. "It's only steel"...or "there is plenty of steel out there" misses the point by a mile.

Basically most of the 'manufacturers' of the parts you want are actually not manufacturers at all. Some do have the machinery to do it all in house but a lot of the processes if not all of it are outsourced. And just like that now those guys that know how to do all that stuff have backorders coming out their ears. Now six months to a year are common wait times.

Basically most of the 'manufacturers' of the parts you want are actually not manufacturers at all. Some do have the machinery to do it all in house but a lot of the processes if not all of it are outsourced.
    So you're not a manufacturer unless you do every single process in house..........

Gotcha. I'll have to break the news to everyone at work when I get there this morning.

I agree but which are the good ones?

True, I shouldn't skimp. I was actually holding out for the 80 dollar ones to come back, but I guess I should stop being a tightwad. I just got into building AR's a few months ago (i just normally bought them complete) so I've never bought a bcb pre corona - so what was a decent price for a Fail Zero? And are there good and not so good Fail Zero bcgs? All I know are the really popular bcg's like Colts, bravo company, rubber city and toolcraft. Thanks for the help guys.

So you're not a manufacturer unless you do every single process in house..........

Gotcha. I'll have to break the news to everyone at work when I get there this morning.
    That's not what I said. However there are some that simply design their own logo and just buy stuff to sell. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with that and it certainly doesn't mean everyone else does the same.

Others might do the best machine work anyone has ever seen. And after they do what they do someone else of equal expertise does a different step in the process. My point is it's a lot more involved and requires a lot more that what the OP and others implied.

How that came out to you as a 'negative' is beyond me but if I implied that it was a negative thing I apologize because that wasn't the idea I meant to convey.

But back to the original question, a whole lot of companies do not do every single process 'in house'. This is not a bad thing. It's just a fact throughout the world, not just the gun industry. Hence a lot of companies don't have bolt carrier groups not just because of a company being back logged, but people who work for them being back logged as well.

Reactions: 308pirate
    put an alert on rtb for the AO bcg and be done. They get them in from 135-150 and you won't be the quality.

Reactions: clcustom1911

AO Precision (makes BCG for the FNH M16/M4 Contract for the military)
    ToolCraft
    PSA
    Aero
    Colt
    Hell, even Anderson...
    And all the other main names

Last edited:
    Reactions: HiDesertELR
    Has nothing to do with steel. We are in one of the largest gun runs ever.

Local shops still have everything so try them out.

The best BCG's IMO are factory Colt m16's. You can find them on GB from $100-250. Used is fine.

Backorderd a colt bcg from brownells a few weeks ago had it in 3 weeks.
    They never are in stock.

Get on the mailing list for Primary Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Ar15discounts.com, Right To Bear, and all that shit. Between those places I have sourced TONS of shit since November. Just gotta wait a few weeks sometimes.

AO Precision (makes BCG for the FNH M16/M4 Contract for the military)
    ToolCraft
    PSA
    Aero
    Colt
    Hell, even Anderson...
    And all the other main names
    in stock right now

It’s a gun part. Everything is hard to get right now especially with ARs

in stock right now
    I've used melonite'd BCG's before and have only one issue:

The melonite case-hardening process is awesome, but can fuck with the heat treat/tempering of the extractor. I had a melonite'd extractor claw break off after only 200-300 rounds. I replaced it with a standard Colt M16 extractor and all was right in the world for thousands of rounds.

Just my experience.

I think it's just the same old thing. Everything is out of stock. My son is waiting on a trigger for a Glock and they told him 90 to 180 days. It's not some exotic trigger but not stock either.
    I have a few stock 19 triggers around if you need something to get by. Send me a PM and I'll get one to you if you want it.

I have a few stock 19 triggers around if you need something to get by. Send me a PM and I'll get one to you if you want it.

Thank you, I have a few laying around, but he want this one specific trigger. Don't ask me why, but he wants what he wants. I don't know where he got that from......

Reactions: Bantam1
    Yep.
    I read a good piece by Chad Dixon about such stuff.
    the ones he makes for converting Rem bolt guns to the M16 style extractor, he has heat treated, not melonited.

There are a lot of them available. Watch this Reddit sale posting, and make sure you select the posting at the top of the page to new.

this was about 5 minutes searching on the Reddit link that I posted.

Anyone know where all the bolt carrier groups went? All the 200 dollar bcg's are still around here and there but the everyman bcg's are all but gone. And no, there's no galaxy wide steel shortage either lol, are they all being earmarked for complete guns maybe?
    Just scored a 6.5 Grendel JP enhanced bolt from Brownells. They also had their branded 6.5 bolt In-Stock for less than 50$. Was kinda sketchy about it though since some reviews of their complete bcg talk about a shorter bolt and firing pin. My rig has a Criterion barrel and they actually recommend the Jp bolt plus I've never gotten anything JP that wasn't too knotch stuff.

Reactions: lennyo3034
    this was about 5 minutes searching on the Reddit link that I posted.

Ar15discounts.com is the bees knees. I love them. Always fast shipping and the one time I had an issue it was resolved stupid quick. Awesome.

Reactions: BoDuke80
    I've put a halt on 90% of my 2A related purchases for now (until things go somewhat back to normal). Getting back into fishing. Just as expensive a hobby.

more bcg’s

Brownells AR15/SEMI Nitride BCG - $145 w/code TAG + tax/shipping

AO Precision M16/FA Nitride BCG (HPT/MPI) - $150 + $10 shipping

RightToBear M16/FA Polished Nitride BCG - $140 + ~$10 shipping

Sharps M16/FA XPB Black DLC S7 BCG - $185 + $10 shipping (possibly tax)

Sharps M16/FA XPB S7 BCG (FDE, Brown Carrier & Bolt) - $195 + $10 shipping (possibly tax)

BlacklistInd M16/Full Auto Nitride Enhanced BCG - $200 free shipping

Lantac M16/FA Enhanced Nitride BCG - $262 + free shipping

Bootleg 4-Pos Adjustable BCG - $190 w/ code GUNDEALS5 free shipping/possibly tax

Bootleg 4-Pos Adjustable BCG - $200 + ~$6 shipping

POF Nitride w/Roller Cam BCG - $214 + $4 shipping (possibly tax)

RubberCityArmory M16/Full Auto Nitride BCG - $189 + tax/shipping

SanTan Tactical M16/FA Nitride Enhanced BCG - $200 free shipping

JoeBobOutfitters M16/FA Enhanced Nitride BCG - $160 free shipping

PSA M16/Full Auto Nitride BCG MPI - $145 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Toolcraft M16/Full Auto Phosphate C-158 BCG - $145 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

PSA Premium M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG (No Logo) - $170 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

PSA Premium M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG (w/Logo) - $175 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Toolcraft M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG w/Logo - $175 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Fulton Armory M16/Full Auto Phosphate BCG HPT/MPI - $180 + tax/shipping

WhiteLabelArmory M16/FA H&M Nitride BCG - $140 + $10 shipping

Aero Precision M16/FA Nitride BCG w/Logo - $150 + $12 shipping/$12.50 tax

Toolcraft M16/FA Nitride BCG w/ D2 extractor - $200 + ~$10 shipping

Aero M16/FA Nitride (No logo) BCG - $200 + ~$10 shipping

RightToBear M16/FA Phosphate BCG - $130 + $10 shipping

Reactions: Sogan and JS8588
    more bcg’s

Brownells AR15/SEMI Nitride BCG - $145 w/code TAG + tax/shipping

AO Precision M16/FA Nitride BCG (HPT/MPI) - $150 + $10 shipping

RightToBear M16/FA Polished Nitride BCG - $140 + ~$10 shipping

Sharps M16/FA XPB Black DLC S7 BCG - $185 + $10 shipping (possibly tax)

Sharps M16/FA XPB S7 BCG (FDE, Brown Carrier & Bolt) - $195 + $10 shipping (possibly tax)

BlacklistInd M16/Full Auto Nitride Enhanced BCG - $200 free shipping

Lantac M16/FA Enhanced Nitride BCG - $262 + free shipping

Bootleg 4-Pos Adjustable BCG - $190 w/ code GUNDEALS5 free shipping/possibly tax

Bootleg 4-Pos Adjustable BCG - $200 + ~$6 shipping

POF Nitride w/Roller Cam BCG - $214 + $4 shipping (possibly tax)

RubberCityArmory M16/Full Auto Nitride BCG - $189 + tax/shipping

SanTan Tactical M16/FA Nitride Enhanced BCG - $200 free shipping

JoeBobOutfitters M16/FA Enhanced Nitride BCG - $160 free shipping

PSA M16/Full Auto Nitride BCG MPI - $145 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Toolcraft M16/Full Auto Phosphate C-158 BCG - $145 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

PSA Premium M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG (No Logo) - $170 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

PSA Premium M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG (w/Logo) - $175 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Toolcraft M16/FA NiB C-158 BCG w/Logo - $175 + $8.50 shipping (possibly tax)

Fulton Armory M16/Full Auto Phosphate BCG HPT/MPI - $180 + tax/shipping

WhiteLabelArmory M16/FA H&M Nitride BCG - $140 + $10 shipping

Aero Precision M16/FA Nitride BCG w/Logo - $150 + $12 shipping/$12.50 tax

Toolcraft M16/FA Nitride BCG w/ D2 extractor - $200 + ~$10 shipping

Aero M16/FA Nitride (No logo) BCG - $200 + ~$10 shipping

RightToBear M16/FA Phosphate BCG - $130 + $10 shipping
    Anyone notice all the price gouging is from the low end mfg? Most of the high end stuff is still the same or very close to the regular prices

Anyone notice all the price gouging is from the low end mfg? Most of the high end stuff is still the same or very close to the regular prices
    it's not gouging; gouging is when prices rise suddenly and you adjust your current (pre-rise) inventory to the artifically high prices. Also, how are they low end? Since only very few actually make the carriers and the bolts, maybe they are working on tighter margins? Gouging to me would BCM who takes a AO bcg and slaps their stupid logo on it and charges 40% more!

I bet the shortage of everything gun related stays for a while. More stimulus checks coming, thats a lot of extra disposable income to burn

it's not gouging; gouging is when prices rise suddenly and you adjust your current (pre-rise) inventory to the artifically high prices. Also, how are they low end? Since only very few actually make the carriers and the bolts, maybe they are working on tighter margins? Gouging to me would BCM who takes a AO bcg and slaps their stupid logo on it and charges 40% more!
    I said low end not junk. And if you've not seen gouging you've not been shopping. I agree on the rebranding and upcharge of some stuff but that said quality control costs money and so does ion bonding and further refinement of those rebranded parts. If you have ever built an upper with a bcm or JP receiver you would wonder how do they make those forgings tolerance so much tighter than the other guys if they are all made in the same place.

I said low end not junk. And if you've not seen gouging you've not been shopping. I agree on the rebranding and upcharge of some stuff but that said quality control costs money and so does ion bonding and further refinement of those rebranded parts. If you have ever built an upper with a bcm or JP receiver you would wonder how do they make those forgings tolerance so much tighter than the other guys if they are all made in the same place.
    slowdown Johnny Rock Bravo, I buy plenty and your point is still ridiculous. Low end or junk has the same moniker and the intimation is the same. As for BCM, QC doesn't cost 40% and have used plenty of their products and owned several of their rigs. Now you want to talk tolerances? Marketing is strong with you eh?

Was I gouging when I listed 2 BCGs locally for $150 each? They were sold within 10 minutes of me posting them. And had a list of backup buyers if the first deal fell through. I sold them for exactly what I had in to them

There is no such thing as “gouging” on commodity items that you don’t have to buy if you don’t like the price. That’s always been a weak minded argument that’s really just a thin cover for complaining about missing the previous cheaper prices. This is how supply and demand works, and it’s a poor businessman who sells his products for last week’s prices. Nobody’s getting ripped off, and nobody’s forced to buy any of this stuff.