• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .17 HMR Rifle do you recommend?

Blackstone

Malefactors Nightmare
Minuteman
May 13, 2004
Rock City, Land of Lincoln
I had a semi-auto and decided I wanted a bolt action.

It will probably be primarily a paper puncher but I may use it on varmints too.

I would appreciate recommendations from those who own one.
Thank you.

Re: Which .17 HMR Rifle do you recommend?

I had a 77 ruger but sold it because of the price of the 17 ammo. If you get the ruger you can always buy a 22 magnum barrel and have a switch barrel gun. It takes about 20 minutes to swap the barrel and the 22 mag ommo is about half the price.
MHO
larryj

I took a good look at the 17 rimfires, got particularly interested in the 17HM2. Saw a few working and liked 'em even more.

Then, I started looking at the performance and asking myself just why I was so all fired up to get the gun and ammo and go through all the hoops when the .22LR did everything I needed a rimfire to do and a lot cheaper, too. More recently, when the ammo dried up, and then started to reappear; the HM2 is still MIA.

I'll pass.

Greg

Look at the CZ 452 Varmint in 17HMR and the Anschutz MPR. I am still kicking my ass for letting a buddy talk me out of the Annie...I have to replace it one day soon.

My Ruger 77/17 wasn't that accurate. Fit and finish were great but thats it. I wasnt that impressed with the 17 hmr in general, so i went to a .204. As far as gun recomendations, cz is good (no stainless though), savage with tons of factory set ups, or somthing like an annie that you will never want to take out because of how much they cost. If i got another one, id probably go savage.

Sako Quad takes all of two minutes tops to change a barrel. Maybe less. Factory barrels for all four common RF cals. Lilja has 17 & 22 barrels made and in stock for the quad. Only thing that needs to be changed is the mag for the longer 22/17 magnums. You could have a 17 Aquila or 5mm Remington barrel made easy to if you wanted. I do have a Savage in 17HMR. Very accurate and shoots to the X ring at 50 and 100 yards with the same scope settings. Great on rabbits and squirrels just shoot them in the head if you’re after meat or fur as it can blow the little guys up some times. Donald

Sako Quad, CZ 452 or an Annie...You wont be disappointed with of those three

I have a CZ hmr that shoots really good. It's not too expensive either. The only thing I don't like about it is the hollow bolt knob. In little or no wind it's deadly.

Any heavy barrel savage will shoot right with the cz, sako, or annie. They are hard to beat for the price.

I got a Marlin. It shoots with all of the rest. If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra cash and buy an Anschutz. There are plenty of quality smiths who would be able to work that and there are McMillan stocks inlet for their 54 action (I think I have that number right), so there are plenty of shots at upgrading.

The Ruger 77/17 also has a lot of upgrade options and plenty of aftermarket parts available. With the Marlin, what you see is what you get. I dropped in a Rifle Basix trigger and that is about it. I guess I could bed the stock as well.

From what I have read, the Ruger 77 is not a great action, but neither is the Marlin, so the upgrade options would be a reason to go Ruger. As for Savage, it is about as accurate as the Marlin and has an adjustable trigger. It is a prety good deal. I would still buy a Ruger over it if I had another chance.

My dream rifle would be a 17 HMR in a McMillan stock based on a Rem 40X action. One of these days, if Stiller comes out with their rimfire repeater, I will build one off of their 40x clone in a McMillan stock with a Lilja barrel. Of course, that is a several thousand dollar build, so I will just dream about it and continue to shoot my $300 rifle.

I've been very pleased with my Savage 93R17 FVSS. I won it a couple years ago at a Friends of NRA dinner and it has done everything I would hope for from a rifle in that caliber....in my case, primarily keeping the groundhog population down.

+1 Greg!

I bought a Marlin 917VR, upgraded to synthetic stock. Nice rifle, fun to shoot. Shot it for a couple of months, now it's collecting dust. Should have got a .22! Ammo is cheaper and does the same thing, for me that is.

I have to boast my Marlin 917VS I get great groups out to 100 yrds which is all the longer a range i've taken it to, and I can cleanly take squirrels out to that range. Plus i think it is one of the nicest looking rimefires i've ever seen.

Buddy has a 1717 D w/monte carlo stock. Barrel was shortened to 18 .5 inches and threaded for a can. Trigger was adjusted by a very good gunsmith. It is sweet!

I have a couple of Anschutz's, a Cooper and a NEF in 17HMR. The bolts are nice in fit and finish, lovely wood and great shooters while the NEF is a beater and doesnt shoot or handle as well. Had a Ruger 77/17 but it's accuracy was dismal and I got rid of it.

I dont think you can go wrong with any make, on average the HMR seems to shoot well with any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then, I started looking at the performance and asking myself just why I was so all fired up to get the gun and ammo and go through all the hoops when the .22LR did everything I needed a rimfire to do and a lot cheaper, too.</div></div>

This. After culling down the excess rifles, I kept a Savage 93R17 in .17, a CZ 452 Varmit in 22LR, and an old Remington 512 in 22LR (plus the obligatory 10/22's). Purchasing the CZ was the reason I got rid of all the others. I was skeptical after reading all the glowing comments on Rimfirecentral, but finally took the plunge.

My Savage 17 shoots very well, but in any wind it is a shotgun. Plus the ammo is getting harder to find now that Rem has pulled all 17HMR ammo (597 OOB's).

But as good as the Savage shoots, it can't touch the CZ. I am amazed. With the right ammo it will hold 1 MOA beyond 150 yards, 5 shot group after group if I do my part. Trigger is super simple to bring down under 2 lbs and I even found a pic rail for the scope. I was looking for something to give me trigger time while 308 is so expensive. The CZ fits the bill perfectly. YMMV

I have the 9317 and it shoots extremely accurate. It is a nice looking weapon and shoots and feels good. If I had it to do over I would get a .22 mag. If there is any wind you might as well case the weapon. Bullet goes everwhere. The ammo is getting hard to find also. 22 mag has more punch also. More fun to shoot my CZ 453 Varmint and alot cheaper too. 22lr is alot of fun and will teach you alot about wind. Will make you mad also when shooting into the wind. Good Luck VTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Plus the ammo is getting harder to find now that Rem has pulled all 17HMR ammo (597 OOB's).
</div></div>

Huh? A) this is a recent development and b) all ammo is made by CCI, so if a supplier can't get Remmy branded ammo, it is easy enough to sub it out with Hornady, Winchester, CCI, etc, etc.

Yes, availability has always been spotty in some areas, mainly because CCI is the only supplier and there has been pretty good demand. But none of this is related to Remington pulling the ammo.

You guys are speaking my language. To me the 17HMR is the most remarkable round I have shot. I own a ruger all weather 77/17 and while the action is flimsy I have found after a professional bedding job the rifle is quite accurate. I feel most people expect the round to do to much. It is not a centerfire, so don't expect it to hit like one. I am a rancher plagued with prairie dogs and have found this gun/caliber with 25 round magazine to be pheonominal on dogs. the longer the range the less explosive however. I use it usually within 200 yards(100-150ave). I hate to waste ammo so center of mass hits are the norm. head shots if closer. Richochet's are non existent, which is good in semi populated areas. DON'T BE STUPID THOUGH. It is very quiet which keeps from spooking the critters. This in itself is one reason it is so great.I can't wait to get a silencer on it. I can honestly say I haven't taken my 223 out for pdogs for years as the 17 just does so well. I am building a 20TAC AR for longer shots as I plan on hitting the towns harder this year and they will eventually thin out requiring some more firepower. Suppressor for this will help keep them up. Hope my experience is useful to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But none of this is related to Remington pulling the ammo. </div></div>

Granted, CCI is the sole producer. But not having Rem on the shelf makes others go faster. If I am somewhere I don't have access to a gunshop, Wally World is it. And for the last several months they have been as spotty with 17 as with 22. Not across the board shortage, but area by area.

I own a Savage 93 with a heavy stainless barrel, thumbhole stock, and accu-trigger. Shoots great, handles well (very well balanced), and I like the trigger. I don't remember what I paid for it but it was worth every penny.

I watched an acquaintance break eggs on a string a 200 with a cooper one day.
He never missed. Don't own one myself as I already had an annie in 22 mag. But
here is a great link for the 17hmr.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Had a Ruger 77/17. Swapped the barrel for a Volquartsen CF, put it in a laminated stock. Still would only group about 1" at 50yd. I sold it. Now I'm sitting on a pile of 17HMR. Considering getting a Sako Quad with 17HMR barrel and a 22LR barrel.

I add one more for the savage(Model 93R17-GLV) I got it used for cheap, put a cheap bsa scope on it and was able to shoot dime to nickle sized groups at 100yrds. I am by far not a good shot either. I know that gun has more in it. Only down side is the wind, any wind and I could not get good groups. But If you are set on getting a 17hmr I would say for the price you would not be dissapointed in a savage.

May be a moot point due to the fact you want a bolt action but I have an Excel Arms MR-17 semi-auto .17hmr and I absolutely love it. I've had some feed problems with Winchester loads but for the most part it is a very reliable firearm. I'm limited to 200yds at my range but this rifle is a tack driver at that distance. They go on Gunbroker.com for about $400-$700.

Look at the Savage 93R17. Shoots good. Trigger isn't bad either.
Neither is the Price. When the wind is out put it up cause you'll only be wasting ammo.

Decided to go with a Savage 93R17.
Considering a BTVS, BV, or BVSS.
Before I go on Gunbroker etc. I thought I would see if anyone has one of these or can give me info on best source etc.
Thanks in advance.

I have the 93 with stainless bull barrel/action and laminated thumbhole stock. The rifle is very accurate at 100-150 yards using Hornady ammo. Optics using a Mueller APV scope. The only down side is it's pretty heavy carrying around when plinking squirrels.

I have a Savage 93R17FV with the heavy barrel and accutrigger. The rifle was very accurate but abit heavier than my ruger 10/22. The upside is that it shoot flatter and more accurate at 100 meters than my 10/22, at least for the last few times i took it to the range,

My lady Bonnie and I have been competing with Marlin 917V rifles for about 6 years. We shoot at 200 yards and two stages of our match is fired rapid fire.

Bonnie has fired a 499 out of 500 with 28 X's. I shot a 499/500 and a 500/500 with 23 X's. She shoots from a rest and I shoot prone with a bipod.

What do the scores mean in plain terms? The "X" ring at 200 yards is the size of a tennis ball. We hit that "X" 23 to 28 times out of 50 rounds. That's what a $200 Wally World Marlin will do!

All totaled, we have three blue ones and one stainless version. I'm reworking the stocks and replacing the triggers with Rifle Basix units to make them even better!

Flash

I will throw in a vote for the CZ as well, either a American or a Varmint, I have a 77/22 but its in a 22WMR and they are nice guns as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Plus the ammo is getting harder to find now that Rem has pulled all 17HMR ammo (597 OOB's).
</div></div>

Huh? A) this is a recent development and b) all ammo is made by CCI, so if a supplier can't get Remmy branded ammo, it is easy enough to sub it out with Hornady, Winchester, CCI, etc, etc.

Yes, availability has always been spotty in some areas, mainly because CCI is the only supplier and there has been pretty good demand. But none of this is related to Remington pulling the ammo. </div></div>It was a safety recall due to it not being safe in the model 597 17HMR semi-auto

http://www.remington.com/safety/17_HMR_Ammo_notice/default.asp

I have a Savage 93R17BTVS( thunmbhole, stainless)and love it..accurate and fun.I also have a Ruger X17 ( special model)that is ok.It looks awesome but is not as accurate as the Savage.However, overall they are both keepers.

I bought my 1517 anschultz for 550 out the door. A lot of gun for the Money!

+1

I love this gun. It's currently my favorite gun in the armory. Ammo, though more expensive than .22, is not bad (~$12 for 50 - my rifle seems to prefer the Hornady). Shoots true out to about 200 yards, though as others have mentioned, any kind of wind will make the round stray a bit (that said, it's good practice for shooting larger calibers at longer distances in wind). This stock has convinced me that the thumbhole design is the way to go. Very good gun at a very good price.

Dick's had a non-stainless version for less than $300 recently.

I have a Ruger M77/17 in stainless with black laminated stock. Scoped with nikon 6x18x40. It's been a tack driver out of the box since new. It's drilled coyotes, crows, rabbits & everything else. Out to 200 yds it's super. I have a couple of 22 magnums including Ruger M77 22 mag and it's more fun and with the Hornady 20 grain bullets, it's awesome.

My new little CZ 452 varmint, is stunningly accurate. Ammo is a bit pricey comp to
.22, but that is the price you pay for accurate and flat shooting.

The argument Greg and others make about ammo prices is only valid if you keep away from the mid and high-end match type ammo in .22; if you want the consistency and accuracy that the .17HMR seems to be able to deliver you have to buy the good .22 ammo. Yes it costs more than the basic wal-mart bulk pack.

What I have noticed about the .17HMR is the Savages and Marlins are right in the mix performance-wise. Sure a Sako is nice.. but...$$
So the answer to your question is buy the one you can afford, and still have money for ammo.

My recommendation to anyone interested in a .17 is get the HMR not the HM2.