• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Which 1911 to get?

Re: Which 1911 to get?

I have the Taurus pt1911 and I love that thing. I compared it to a Springfield loaded when I was getting mine, and ironically, the Taurus felt so much better. Including the finish and the trigger.

I love that pistol. Only thing I hate is the ugly hammer. Everything else is gtg. I'm a lefty, so the ambi safety is real nice too. Jam free pistol with a very nice trigger at 4 lbs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Taurus pt1911 and I love that thing. I compared it to a Springfield loaded when I was getting mine, and ironically, the Taurus felt so much better. Including the finish and the trigger.

I love that pistol. Only thing I hate is the ugly hammer. Everything else is gtg. I'm a lefty, so the ambi safety is real nice too. Jam free pistol with a very nice trigger at 4 lbs </div></div>

I'm surprised that you don't find the feel of the safety really screws up the trigger.

You mean the series 80 trigger safety?

If you're talking about that, I actually wouldn't carry a pistol without that. female down my motorcycle once and my gun fell off, I also dropped my pistol once (slid off the car when I was fixing my holster) without it bad juju might have happened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Taurus pt1911 and I love that thing. I compared it to a Springfield loaded when I was getting mine, and ironically, the Taurus felt so much better. Including the finish and the trigger.

I love that pistol. Only thing I hate is the ugly hammer. Everything else is gtg. I'm a lefty, so the ambi safety is real nice too. Jam free pistol with a very nice trigger at 4 lbs </div></div>

I'm surprised that you don't find the feel of the safety really screws up the trigger. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean the series 80 trigger safety?

If you're talking about that, I actually wouldn't carry a pistol without that. female down my motorcycle once and my gun fell off, I also dropped my pistol once (slid off the car when I was fixing my holster) without it bad juju might have happened. </div></div>

That's ridiculous. The thumb safety completely blocks all sear motion. The 1911 is entirely safe without any additional safeties.

If you think otherwise, you should probably carry your M4 with the chamber empty in the field, too.

Are you talking about the memory pad or the thumb safety? What do you mean the thumb safety blocks off the sear. (I know that) but who's to say during a fall it catches on something and becomes u safe? I know there is the memory pad still, but does the series 80 hurt the trigger that bad? I don't think so. The trigger is so smooth, I can't tell the diff apparently.

Hey, shit happens man. if that was the case, there should be no safeties with a 2 lb trigger.

just saying.

I usually carry a SW MP9c, or SW MP9 for work and that has no external safeties.

anways, to me, the added safety outweighs the trigger disadvantage (that I personally can't feel) with a series 80 trigger.

that being said, I'm very happy with my Taurus and have shocked some 1911 lovers at the range, and some matches that I did here at markham park.

+1111 on the SIG 1911.

I've been researching and reading . Lots of articles out now with the 100th aniversery. I'm in the market for a full size to go with my LW Commander. Almost got a STI Duty One, decided the Tac-ops would be a close second. I need a rail and can't afford a Wilson, Nighthawk,

DSC02123.jpg

Well, I've got a real nice late '80s SA GI 1911A1. It's been a great shooter, but about a year ago I came into this Old School Colt and it stole my (1911) heart.

Despite the sideways glances I get from hard-core 1911 collectors, it's a great shooter. I have no doubt that it kept the "Doughboy" to whom it was originally issued alive during the Great War ...

<span style="font-weight: bold">WWI battlefield Colt 1911 (born on date 1917).</span>
Colt-14.jpg

Colt-24.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Can still get it done: Two 7-rd mag dumps (COM).</span>
ColtT-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sojourner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd buy this one:

http://carolinashootersforum.com/showthread.php?t=101179</div></div>

Link don't work without login & password. What is it? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhaught;620407</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a Nighthawk Custom GRP ordered with custom upgrades over the standard GRP platform from Nighthawk.
Features include:

Nighthawk Custom GRP
Black Permakote
Naked slide
No front cocking serrations
Ball cuts in slide
10-8 ledge rear sight, tritium front sight.
Extended and blended magwell
Flush cut crowned match grade barrel
Flush cut slide stop axle
Solid long trigger
25 lpi checkering
Black VZ Alien grips

Includes two Nighthawk 8rnd mags and two Wilson 8rnd mags. Also have Milt Sparks Summer special IWB holster for it.
I have put about 400 rounds through it with no malfunctions and it is a tack driver.
$2000.00 for the rig.
Obviously all laws apply to sale. CCH or Purchase permit.

Will consider the following as partial trades:
Benelli M2 field synthetic 12ga. preferably with 24 inch barrel.
Long slide M&P 9 pro or M&P 9L
HK P30 or P30L 9mm
HK 45

Pictures show the gun with the short trigger which was replaced by Nighthawk with a long trigger.

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02367.jpg

GRP13.jpg

DSC02354.jpg
</div></div>

So many options available today. I now have a Kimber super carry pro, have had Colt and Springfield armory as well, but this is by by far my favorite so far.

I know the hard core colt guys hate Kimbers, but oh well. This gun had everything I wanted and the price was right. over 2k rounds through it and not a single issue of any kind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So many options available today. I now have a Kimber super carry pro, have had Colt and Springfield armory as well, but this is by by far my favorite so far.

I know the hard core colt guys hate Kimbers, but oh well. This gun had everything I wanted and the price was right. over 2k rounds through it and not a single issue of any kind.
</div></div>

It's not really hardcore Colt guys that hate them, it's hardcore 1911 guys, for good reason. Kimber has had a significant drop in QC, material selection, and taking short-cuts when making their 1911's in the past few years. But if you get a Kimber that works, it'll shoot and function great.

Yeah, I did a ton of research before buying this one. I definitely found a lot of guys bashing them. But the majority of that was just the usual shit talking that goes through gun forums like gossip in any other social setting. I did not find half as many complaints from guys who actually owned Kimbers, mostly second hand info which is about useless.
when I started reading negative reviews I also searched and found negative reviews on Springfield, Colt, and a slew of others. If guys have had personal experience I read on, but when it says "my buddy had" it may as well be BS.

With the 1911 crowd I think anyone over 50 is by default a Colt guy, no matter if he has ever owned anything else, or even seen anything else. I have this conversation with the old timers at the range every other week. So there's half the worlds shooters right off the bat that hate anything but a colt.

I'm not Kimber purist by any means, but mine has been great. I think every company puts out a few lemons from time to time. I really wanted a bobtail and the other options were over $2K, so I figured I would try this one and see if it was worth a darn. so far I can't justify spending the extra cash. If it does let me down I will own a Wilson, or Nighthawk.

I did sell a Jammomatic Commander to fund my current gun tho. So maybe I got one of Colts few lemons, who knows we'll see how this one holds up. I am a little leery of the alloy frame though, but man I don't miss the weight.

Its all on shooters preference, but anyone with thoughts on Springfield Professional/Light Rail ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeah, I did a ton of research before buying this one. I definitely found a lot of guys bashing them. But the majority of that was just the usual shit talking that goes through gun forums like gossip in any other social setting. I did not find half as many complaints from guys who actually owned Kimbers, mostly second hand info which is about useless.
when I started reading negative reviews I also searched and found negative reviews on Springfield, Colt, and a slew of others. If guys have had personal experience I read on, but when it says "my buddy had" it may as well be BS............. I'm not Kimber purist by any means, but mine has been great. I think every company puts out a few lemons from time to time. </div></div>

Pretty down to earth and sensible. That's the overwhelming impression I've gotten. Many factors considered, Sig 1911 is feeling like the way to go.

springfield pro's are a great choice. personally i wouldn't buy anything out there but a springer or colt for base guns. OR a gun built off a caspian, fusion. or a semi custom like ed brown, wilson, les baer, etc. i'm a slight 1911 snob though... you can thank a buddy of mine who has 11 full house customs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its all on shooters preference, but anyone with thoughts on Springfield Professional/Light Rail ? </div></div>

I've heard alot of folks very impressed with their Springfields. I'm not interested though. As I stated at the outset of this post and then re-stated later, while I'm a solid pistol shooter, I don't claim to know the first thing about 1911s - and so I go often go off past experiences and remember the Springfield GI I owned that was a total POS. Granted thats a base model, but in my ever-so-humble-opinion, that doesn't give it the A-OK to stovepipe a round per magazine.

So maybe I just got one lemon and now I'd rather steer clear of the brand name. I don't know, like I said - that's just me.

Yeah no kidding.

Man if my hands would fit one, I'd love a double stack 1911.

...But they don't, so I won't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its all on shooters preference, but anyone with thoughts on Springfield Professional/Light Rail ? </div></div>

I've heard alot of folks very impressed with their Springfields. I'm not interested though. As I stated at the outset of this post and then re-stated later, while I'm a solid pistol shooter, I don't claim to know the first thing about 1911s - and so I go often go off past experiences and remember the Springfield GI I owned that was a total POS. Granted thats a base model, but in my ever-so-humble-opinion, that doesn't give it the A-OK to stovepipe a round per magazine.

So maybe I just got one lemon and now I'd rather steer clear of the brand name. I don't know, like I said - that's just me. </div></div>

see at that point i would have contacted springfield they are known for having one of the best customer service departments ever. i've heard many people having small issues and springer goin above and beyond in fixing them

Hey, fair enough. That's probably what I should have done. I guess at that point I was like "well I don't really like these microscopic sights anyways so I'll just sell it <span style="font-weight: bold">with full disclosure</span> and wash my hands of it."

Well, you know what they say about hindsight. And for that matter, you know what they say about experience.
smile.gif

And before I wind up running the rotten tomato gauntlet, I suppose I should add: I’m not laying a blanket accusation down on Springfield Armory 1911s, but if I had to choose between two 1911s other things being equal (which maybe they never truly are) and one was a Springer and the other was some name that I’ve had positive experiences with, I’d choose the other.

i can't argue that i just know i've heard so many good things on their customer service. i think people are too quick sometimes to not give a maker a chance to fix something. if it isn't working how you feel it should contact the person who made it. now if they blow you off then rant away
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> now if they blow you off then rant away
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ha ha. Very well.

I am 53, and I remember when the only well made 1911 was a Colt. For a while they were the only 1911 period. That generated a lot of history among 1911 shooters.
The second that came along for me was Springfield Armory back in the late '80s or early '90s. They quickly developed a reputation for a well made 1911 and outstanding customer service. Kimber quickly followed and became very popular. Colt dragged it's feet and did not produce as many variations as the others did. It also became clear that the pony on the side made their pistols cost more than they should.
Kimber produced so many pistols that inevitably they started having more pistols out with problems. I don't believe it was a QC problem- rather it was the sheer volume of their production. I think that the percentage of their products having problems is very comparable to the other manufacturers.
I have a couple of Colts- a Gold Cup national match and a 1952 Super 38 that was changed to a .38 special back in the '60s. I also have an SA Loaded that I have used for a long time in matches. It isn't exactly stock, but nothing major has been done to it. I also have an SA Match Target. They are all reliable and accurate. They are all about the same quality.
I traded a Kimber Warrior with something else for a DPMS SASS. I had no problems with the pistol and think I ended up with a very good rifle.

Today I think the 1911 that gives the most bang for the buck is the SA Loaded. It is a very well made pistol with many of the features 1911 shooters have added to their pistols over the years. It's quality is very acceptable. It isn't a Les Baer, or Wilson Combat, etc. but it is very very good. I think the Loaded is an excellent pistol, especially for someone getting their first 1911. It will have fewer things that need attention and will feed about anything. The SA G.I. and Mil-Spec tend to do better with ball ammo. That is what the original 1911s were designed to use and those pistols follow the original 1911A1 design closely. The Loaded will feed hollow points and semi wadcutter bullets as well as ball. It has more to do with the design of the feed ramp and barrel throat than anything else.

I won't tell you which to get- that is all up to you, but you will be happier if you avoid any manufacturer's base models.

Jim

Very good info there Pepperbelly, I think you are right on the money.

I know you are not looking for Springfield, but since the customer service was brought up I have had outstanding CS from them. Some years ago I bought two Springfield micro compact 1911s from them, nice guns with novak, or knock off novak night sights. I got a great deal on the pair I just couldn't pass up.

One for me, and one for my wife. Mine had a burr, or rough spot somewhere in the action I could not find, just rough in its frame/slide fit and could be fealt when racking a round. I called, they said send it in with a description and gave me a CS#. I sent it in via Fedex ground, and that gun was back to me in GA in ten days from the time I sent it in. No charge, I paid shipping one way that's it.

That is excellent care after the sale. Unfortunately I traded that gun, but still have the wifes....or my other one.

and their custom shop is good to go too from the guns i have seen, highly reccomend i have seen the springer custom shop build caspians, colts, and everything in between

So with what I've learned on this thread and with numerous other conversations on the hide and elsewhere, I’ve been seriously considering the Sig 1911. Specifically, the Tac Ops TB.

I’m not worried about a non-traditional external extractor at all, but as mentioned earlier on this thread, the downside to this choice is holster compatibility as the slide profile is different from the norm – thank you Downzero.

This doesn’t, or didn’t, bother me because I figured “who cares, I’m gonna buy a holster specifically fitted to my 1911 anyways, so it doesn’t matter if it’s not compatible with everybody else’s – though obviously it’d be nice if it was.” —but after a few Google searches, it looks like darn near nobody makes a holster that will take a railed Sig 1911 and really nobody makes one that will take said pistol with a light attached. At this day in age, I can’t believe that’s really true, but what I’m seeing, hearing, and reading makes it look like maybe it is.

So is my Google-Fu just not strong enough or is this really the case? Anybody got some experience and wisdom on this one? If I were to buy this particular Sig 1911, I’d want the options of a leg drop holster for the pistol with a surefire x300 attached, a leather hip holster for pistol without light, a leather hip holster for pistol with light, and then prolly a Crossbreed Supertuck for pistol without light. (not looking to go holster crazy on day one, but would want to know that these options are available)

Again, thanks in advance all. Really appreciate the knowledge.