• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .223 bolt gun do I want?

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
Pardon if this has been asked before but my searches are bringing up nothing of real use.
So I've decided I want to add a good .223 bolt action rifle to my collection. the rifle will be used for target shooting from 100-300 yds from a bench/prone.. Occasionally to 500. My criteria is: heavy barrel profile (22-26") with a 7 or 8 twist, AICS mag compatibility and a decently built and ergonomic stock/chassis ( which will likely eventually get replaced. Finish in SS would be a plus but it's not a deal breaker. Some aftermarket support for customizing would be nice too. Budget is in the $1K-$2K range.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the Tikka T3X Varmint (or super varmint if I can nail down the differences.)
What else should I be looking at? Open to all suggestions that fit the criteria.

I have the rifle you want, but sadly it can’t be had by anyone.

Are you set on new? Good deals can be found on stuff in the px and many other places as well. If you plan on updating anyway, piece one together over time with the components you want as you find good deals on them

Reactions: WeeHooker
You really have to go custom, but you can do everything yourself. You can be right around $2,000 before an optic. Northland Shooter's Supply has everything to build a nice .223. Origin Action, MDT XRS Chassis, TriggerTech Trigger, Criterion Barrel. I run a Criterion barrel in .223 and am very pleased. This would be a huge step above a Tikka T3X Varmint.

T3x Varmint.

Factory mags work well if you can live with the factory stock, or can drop it into a KRG Bravo or really any other chassis if you want AICS mags. Most my rifles are carbon steel, use renaissance wax and G96 oil and no issues.

Bighorn Origin $900
Prefit barrel $600-700
KRG Bravo $360
Trigger of choice.

Right around $2000 and you will have a better rifle than any factory rifle that you can change bareels and calibers down the road if you want.

I'm not against used ( and check the classifieds now and then but .223 chambering isn't as popular as it used to be. I'm OK working from a barreled action on up. ( I'm doubting I'm up for building off a bare receiver at this point though. Too much learning curve since I know zero about what to buy and how to assemble. ) Triggers, chassis, bolt handles, etc I'm fine with. The process is actually fun.
So far, ( if I read this right) you guys are somewhat mimicking my thought process advocating the T3X Varmint over the Super Varmint. From what I can see the extra $700 ish for the SV gets a 2 stage trigger, 0 moa rail, fluted bolt and a stock upgrade (although I'm not sure how much an upgrade it actually is.) I still have a bunch of KRG bravo accessories/hardware around from my last (6.5CM) Bergara Premier build too. (BA purchased here.)

Last edited:
Can you screw a bolt into a nut? Then you can install a shouldered prefit. Yes it's that easy.
We'll I have two mechanical engineering degrees and 30+ years experience in missile systems so I'm pretty sure I could do that much. I just don't claim to have any real smithing tools and experience beyond trigger jobs. :) The thought of investing $1500 in a action and barrel that I have to do myself with no experience and or guidance puts me off to be honest. This truly requires no tools or fine measurements? Maybe I need to look into it further.

Reactions: HammerForged
You need a barrel vise and an action wrench. Some buy go/no go gauges but I have never used them. Definitely look into it further as it's a much better route to go for the long run. You can have that one action, stock and scope and have multiple calibers on it with just a barrel change and if its a different bolt face size then you just need to buy the new bolt face for $125.

To be honest I’d probably rather have a factory Tikka than a barrel nut setup at this point 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: b6graham
You need a barrel vise and an action wrench. Some buy go/no go gauges but I have never used them. Definitely look into it further as it's a much better route to go for the long run. You can have that one action, stock and scope and have multiple calibers on it with just a barrel change and if its a different bolt face size then you just need to buy the new bolt face for $125.
I will look into it. Down another rabbit hole I go :cool:

Once you do it you will be like "DAMN that was so easy!". I have two Bighorn TL3 actions, and would only have one but got a good deal on the other, and I have a 6.5 and 2 6mm Creedmoor barrels, .223, and a 6mmARC and .308 soon. You could have all those on one rifle.

Once you do it you will be like "DAMN that was so easy!". I have two Bighorn TL3 actions, and would only have one but got a good deal on the other, and I have a 6.5 and 2 6mm Creedmoor barrels, .223, and a 6mmARC and .308 soon. You could have all other on one rifle.
Just remembered I have an unused Bell and Carlson Medelist Stock/Chassis for a R700 in the back of the safe that could be put to use . Think of the $ I'd be saving :LOL::sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Well, wish I could give first hand account but can`t since my new Savage Model 12 LRPV in .223 hasn`t arrived yet. Single shot, 26" fluted 1:7 stainless barrel, HS Precision stock. HEAVY gun. In your budget range. No mag, so may not meet your criteria unless it`s predominantly a range gun. Might be worth looking at some of the on line reviews.
It`ll strictly be a range gun. Too heavy to be toting around in the woods. That`s reserved for my 110 Storm in .223 that`s performed flawlessly and is dead nuts accurate.

Last edited:
Origin with shouldered prefit is a good option. Viper barrel vise is like $50 and action wrench about $85 last time I looked. That's all the tooling that you need.

Well, wish I could give first hand account but can`t since my new Savage Model 12 LRPV in .223 hasn`t arrived yet. Single shot, 26" fluted 1:7 stainless barrel, HS Precision stock. HEAVY gun. In your budget range. No mag, so may not meet your criteria unless it`s predominantly a range gun. Might be worth looking at some of the on line reviews.
It`ll strictly be a range gun. Too heavy to be toting around in the woods. That`s reserved for my 110 Storm in .223 that`s performed flawlessly and is dead nuts accurate.
I actually used to own a Savage 10FP .223 years back. It shot amazingly well with near everything I put through it. I hated the stock though so it sat under used until I put a aftermarket laminate on it. That was better but still never loved it so traded it off at some point. Still leaning towards the tikka (or Origin) but I'll take a closer look at the 12lrpv since you offered the option up. ( Not thrilled with the stock as pictured but that could be fixed. Single shot is not an issue as I plan to shoot it with a SS sled 98% of the time anyway. )

I actually used to own a Savage 10FP .223 years back. It shot amazingly well with near everything I put through it. I hated the stock though so it sat under used until I put a aftermarket laminate on it. That was better but still never loved it so traded it off at some point. Still leaning towards the tikka (or Origin) but I'll take a closer look at the 12lrpv since you offered the option up. ( Not thrilled with the stock as pictured but that could be fixed. Single shot is not an issue as I plan to shoot it with a SS sled 98% of the time anyway. )
Tikka makes a fine rifle, no question. I suppose that your budget would also allow a lower end custom (?), but I don`t really know much about them. The LRPV is on the " upper end " I suppose in the Savage line. They are not commonly in stock, so if you should decide to seriously consider one, let me know. You might go over to Savage Shooters and search " LRPV ". Also, I started a thread on the LRPV in the 110 forum. Just additional info that you might find useful.

I built a "cheap" 223 trainer off a Savage short action, factory AccuTrigger, prefit barrel with nut, Oryx chassis - thousands of 223 heavies down range practicing plus a PD trip. A lot of utility for the $$ - accurate and reliable but Savage action clunky.

Found a Tikka T3 Varmint but never happy with OEM barrel (others like it but seemed to struggle with 75 ELDMs/80 SMKs). New heavier contour 7 twist threaded, KRG Bravo, trigger spring.

Origin would be great options plus the other new "cheap" Rem 700 clones.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 80
  • XBPQ8892.JPG
    XBPQ8892.JPG
    978.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Follow the advice of Rob01.

I've done the factory rifle thing and still have a few 223 factory rifles. The custom route costs more but after you shoot it for a while, you will see why. Everything just works better and I guarantee it will shoot smaller groups, everytime.

Tikka makes a fine rifle, no question. I suppose that your budget would also allow a lower end custom (?), but I don`t really know much about them. The LRPV is on the " upper end " I suppose in the Savage line. They are not commonly in stock, so if you should decide to seriously consider one, let me know. You might go over to Savage Shooters and search " LRPV ". Also, I started a thread on the LRPV in the 110 forum. Just additional info that you might find useful.
Welp, the LRPV arrived today. It is a BEAST! I need to get in the gym if I were to have to carry it any distance at all! It is a VERY barrel heavy gun (I expected that). I cannot imagine anything pulling it off target in the slightest. I don`t think a 10lb trigger pull would phase it, and I`m not kidding!

Welp, the LRPV arrived today. It is a BEAST! I need to get in the gym if I were to have to carry it any distance at all! It is a VERY barrel heavy gun (I expected that). I cannot imagine anything pulling it off target in the slightest. I don`t think a 10lb trigger pull would phase it, and I`m not kidding!

LOL it only weighs 11 pounds.

Thanks for all your input. The more I look into this, i think I'd be happy with a T3X Super Varmint but am likely going to go the Custom build route with the Origin chassis. Pricewise it's going to be close to a wash and still under my $2K goal (given I already have a stock and trigger). Thanks especially to Rob01 for the insight and advice on the Origin build.

I'll concede on the weight thing. Still, it's relative. I used to think that 8# was a heavy rifle. Now I have .22's that push the 16# mark fully rigged. Thankfully, they don't need to get carried any further than from the car to the bench. I'm not getting any younger either.

I'll concede on the weight thing. Still, it's relative. I used to think that 8# was a heavy rifle. Now I have .22's that push the 16# mark fully rigged. Thankfully, they don't need to get carried any further than from the car to the bench. I'm not getting any younger either.
Yeah, that`ll be the saving grace with this metal post! I will say that the HS Precision stock on this gun is nice and more substantial than the standard Savage stocks on my other two rifles.

Follow the advice of Rob01.

I've done the factory rifle thing and still have a few 223 factory rifles. The custom route costs more but after you shoot it for a while, you will see why. Everything just works better and I guarantee it will shoot smaller groups, everytime.
No disagreement from me. If you have the funds, and particularly for the SERIOUS long range target shooter ( more serious than your truly! ), custom is the way to go. Alas, I am one of the poors!

Not about being a poor. The Savage is about $1475 at Academy. For $500 more you can have what I posted above and Wes actually has a trigger and stock already so would be about the same price for the Origin build.

Not about being a poor. The Savage is about $1475 at Academy. For $500 more you can have what I posted above and Wes actually has a trigger and stock already so would be about the same price for the Origin build.
Good point. I`m not much of a builder, have had good luck with my Savage rifles, and saw good reviews concerning the rifle, so decided to give it a shot.

$1400 gets you an Origin and a Proof SS Prefit. That leaves $600 for a trigger and chassis to stay within your budget. I would buy a cheap KRG Bravo used for $250-$300 as a place filler and then pick a triggertech, bix n andy, or whatever you want for it. Should still have some $$ left over to put towards a barrel vise, action wrench, torque wrench, and a breaker bar.

$1500 for a salvage? I'm not sure who's more out of their mind, Savage or anyone who would pay that.

I’m not saying Tikkas = custom. I had heard some places sell Tikka prefit shouldered barrels, and then I read somewhere some retailers stopped doing that. What is the case at this point? Googling I see a bunch of prefits, but a lot seem to be barrel nuts…not an expert in this area.

First range trip yesterday. Functioned flawlessly. Typically stiff bolt lift but not enough to bother me personally. Extraction and ejection rather forceful. Zeroed at 100 with three sub-MOA , three shot groups. Frontier ( Hornady ) 68 grain OTM. Looking forward to exploring some 70+ grain match loads. Gun is a shooter.

Pardon if this has been asked before but my searches are bringing up nothing of real use.
So I've decided I want to add a good .223 bolt action rifle to my collection. the rifle will be used for target shooting from 100-300 yds from a bench/prone.. Occasionally to 500. My criteria is: heavy barrel profile (22-26") with a 7 or 8 twist, AICS mag compatibility and a decently built and ergonomic stock/chassis ( which will likely eventually get replaced. Finish in SS would be a plus but it's not a deal breaker. Some aftermarket support for customizing would be nice too. Budget is in the $1K-$2K range.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the Tikka T3X Varmint (or super varmint if I can nail down the differences.)
What else should I be looking at? Open to all suggestions that fit the criteria.
Arc coup de gras
PVA prefit
Trigger tech special
Stock/chassis of choice (krg bravo for the budget)

Then you can buy what barrel you should have initially, a 6 ARC 😜

• Haha
I went through the same thought process you did. Ended up going with an origin action, shouldered prefit 223, tt diamond. It hammers. 1/2 moa all day long (even with factory ammo).

If you haven’t gone custom before, it’s a little intimidating at first. But it is extremely easy. It’s literally screwing a barrel into a receiver and torquing it. That’s it.

It will (may) cost a few extra dollars, but in the end it is 100% worth it. Not only will it shoot more accurately, but it’s incredibly smooth, fit and finish is near flawless, and you can swap barrels/caliber at your will.

I’ve done one custom and will never go back to a factory rifle. The origin price point is so a lose to a factory rifle, it’s an easy decision.