• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 22lR suppressor should I get?

SaltySpring

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Hi folks...
Let me first apologize for creating another "which one should I get" thread because I know these types of posts are reviled in every forum on the internet. That said, I have been researching suppressors for almost a year, and while I have learned much, truth is, I've never even seen on in real life so I'm still an idiot on that front.

I have a rabbit and raccoon problem, its that simple. The racoons are trying to tear apart my chicken coop and the rabbits are girdling all my trees as well as other stuff. I tried posting a Rabbit and Racoon free zone sign but that didn't work.. My current tool is a rugger 10/22 with an Thermion XP38 scope and it works great.. Problem is, I only get one shot, sometimes two if I'm lucky and fast with acquiring the next target.

I need a suppressor so the big bang doesn't send them running so quick. I was hoping to get something that would work on both the 22lr as well as 5.56 and 7.62, but my research shows that a dedicated 22lr unit is both easier to clean and quieter.... and quiet is the name of the game here.

I think I'm going to purchase a Rugger Precision 22lr and mate it with a suppressor.. so my questions are:

1) Which suppressor should I get? (which ones are quiet, durable and have good reputations)
2) Which suppressors should I stay away from? (which ones are marketing garbage)

Check out the screen grab from my security camera.. Those are raccoons.. I took out two of them.. the first was a freebee, the second was shot at a full run from about 40 yards and I only managed to barely get him before he reached the thickets.

And yes, that dark rectangle on the ground is a live trap but they've gotten wise to it..

Thank you.

Attachments

• Racoons.jpg
    Racoons.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 168
Hi folks...
Let me first apologize for creating another "which one should I get" thread because I know these types of posts are reviled in every forum on the internet. That said, I have been researching suppressors for almost a year, and while I have learned much, truth is, I've never even seen on in real life so I'm still an idiot on that front.

I have a rabbit and raccoon problem, its that simple. The racoons are trying to tear apart my chicken coop and the rabbits are girdling all my trees as well as other stuff. I tried posting a Rabbit and Racoon free zone sign but that didn't work.. My current tool is a rugger 10/22 with an Thermion XP38 scope and it works great.. Problem is, I only get one shot, sometimes two if I'm lucky and fast with acquiring the next target.

I need a suppressor so the big bang doesn't send them running so quick. I was hoping to get something that would work on both the 22lr as well as 5.56 and 7.62, but my research shows that a dedicated 22lr unit is both easier to clean and quieter.... and quiet is the name of the game here.

I think I'm going to purchase a Rugger Precision 22lr and mate it with a suppressor.. so my questions are:

1) Which suppressor should I get? (which ones are quiet, durable and have good reputations)
2) Which suppressors should I stay away from? (which ones are marketing garbage)

Check out the screen grab from my security camera.. Those are raccoons.. I took out two of them.. the first was a freebee, the second was shot at a full run from about 40 yards and I only managed to barely get him before he reached the thickets.

And yes, that dark rectangle on the ground is a live trap but they've gotten wise to it..

Thank you.
Look at the Griffin Optimus Micro. I have one. It's a TANK. In the promo video they did a full auto 60 round non stop 5.56 dump through one and the finish didn't even wear.

It is a .22LR can that can also be used on 5.56. I personally have never used mine on 5.56, but I like the idea. Even though it's much heavier than other cans, it can do a lot that others cannot. Especially on a rifle it's not even noticeable weight wise.

For me I personally like my suppressors to be over built. The Optimus Micro certainly fits that bill. Go to 1:17 in the video below...

As always many people want one can for everything. I will advise against that as in general it will be mediocre on everything.

Reactions: SaltySpring
As far as sound performance of the Optimus Micro, it's extremely good. You will find a LOT of rimfire cans that are extremely quiet so 'other features' come into play when making a decision.

Again, I don't like aluminum baffles or whatnot. All of mine have SS baffles. When it's time to clean this makes life a whole lot easier.

I have a Rugged Occulus and I really like that one too. Between the two, the Griffin is quieter on rifles and the Rugged is marginally quieter on pistols. It's not anything insanely 'more or less loud' but you can tell a slight difference.
With subsonic ammo you could shoot those raccoons and they wouldn't even know their buddy next to them just got smoked.

The suppressor is a good idea, but traps and really knowing how to set up and use them will be more effective.
A shotgun with a good light is very effective as well, a place i lived at when i was younger had a serious feral cat problem.
They were pretty easy to pick off running when the front door opened.
Even more fun was putting a can of sardines in a metal trash can just off the front porch, when you heard the can rattle blast the shit out of it.
Didn't take long to thin them out.

I started a thread last year which I’ll post below. I have a Benjamin .25 cal armada I bought for this purpose. Also have a marauder .22 cal. They work but the one does leak, they’re bulky, require filling etc etc. But an air gun could work for you or at least hold over til stamp approval

In the time I made this thread and many months of research I ended up buying a TBAC 22 takedown and a Griffin Optimus Micro. This decision came from members here who owned both as well as my local dealer who tested them. I would have the mask but it was out of stock at time. Which was the deciding factor between the mask and TBAC

My second purchase was the griffin based on members who owned both the griffin and mask and stated they had less effects from the can in terms of accuracy with the griffin. Also stated it was a touch quieter. Local shop said the same but I haven’t witnessed the test myself. Griffin is the only one of those options that can run 556 as well

Still waiting for mine to get out of jail yet but here’s the thread. Also take a look at the Tikka T1X 16” as a host vs the Ruger

Last edited:
The Dead Air Mask HD is one of the quietest 22lr suppressor on the market and one of the best. It's also one of the most durable and toughest.
I've never had an issue with my Mask HD dropping crap back into the bore or into the action of my guns, but I also clean my suppressor every 250-500 rounds. Regular .22LR suppressor maintenance is paramount, as .22LR ammo is nasty to shoot.

I just got my daughter a Tikka T1, 16" and ran a few mags of CCI Quiet through it with a OSS RAD22. Don't have anything to compare it to but it was damn quiet to all of us watching her shoot.

There’s a search bar, been asked 100 times

I have a Deadair Mask with probably 4,000 rounds through it. Easy to disassemble/reassemble, and quiet!

Good luck getting one… they’re sold out on SilencerShop, and a few other online spots I have checked.

I found a local dealer and settled on the Rugged Oculus22.

Unfortunately, the Dead Air Mask is not available anywhere at this time.

Thank you to all who responded.

Hi folks...

Thank you.
Dead Air Mask HD and TBAC 22 Takedown are the 2 best rimfire suppressors on the market. I have both, and they both are phenomenal cans.

Gotta throw the Energetic Arms NYX and NYX Mod2 in there. I have the Mod2 and I could fire a .22 pistol into the ground in the middle of a family BBQ and no one would look. It's staple gun quiet, full titanium construction, extremely light and super easy to clean in an ultrasonic machine with CLR. After 15 minutes, comes out looking like new. Put components in a small zip lock, fill with enough CLR to cover, squeeze out air and seal. Drop in ultrasonic cleaner tank filled with water. Done. You can reuse the CLR if you're careful. Let the bad stuff settle to the bottom and pour off the top.

The Mod2 is modular so if you so desire, you can run it in the short configuration which is under 3oz. I really considered the Huxwrx can as well. Didn't know about the Griffin Optimus. If it were rifle only, no hand gun, I'd give it a hard look.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
I found a local dealer and settled on the Rugged Oculus22.
I have one and it's an excellent choice. It's pretty much rimfire only but obviously it checks all of my boxes for a rimfire can otherwise I wouldn't have bought one myself. Like I said above, on a rifle it's just barely louder than my Optimus Micro, but on a pistol it's just a little bit quieter. It's not like in either situation you would shoot it and be disappointed. Most of the time 'quiet' is not so much the can, but the ammo. Again, excellent choice. Proceed with confidence.

If you haven’t been shooting subsonic 22LR, try some while you wait for your stamp to come in. Depending on barrel length, you might be surprised how quiet your .22 is with subs. I have a bolt action .22 with a 24” barrel that is very quiet with subs unsuppressed. You’re going to want subs to shoot through your can anyway.

Your going to appreciate the Mask being out of stock. The Oculus is a great choice. I never use the modular aspect of it but it is the most accurate rimfire can I’ve tested on my Vudoo. It’s also quiet (really they all are pretty quiet) with very minimal first round pop. It’s very robust and cleaning it is hassle free compared to some others.