• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .308 barrel / help me build a hog gun

Smith1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Ohio
I’m planning another few hog hunting trips this year and this gives me an excuse to build a dedicated gun. Whats the go to barrel length and brands nowadays? I’m shooting a .243 for coyotes now, but this rig is a little too long for stalking pigs. We don’t go more than 100 yards into the field to setup for coyotes here

Looking at aero upper / lower and an odin works handguard but open to suggestions on that as well. Lighter the better but also trying to stay below a carbon fiber build like I have already

Current blaster
F43972B1-812B-4F37-BD17-AFE3C94BBDED.jpeg

Location says Ohio, so it’s a special trip for you? If you must have AR-10, then I guess disregard my opinion.

However, I live in Tx and hog hunt a lot. IMO, it’s all about the follow up shots and there’s no need to lug a chunky dunk AR-10 around. I shoot 556 because of volume. If I was making a few special trips, it would be 6.8SPC.

Reactions: Jsp556
Location says Ohio, so it’s a special trip for you? If you must have AR-10, then I guess disregard my opinion.

However, I live in Tx and hog hunt a lot. IMO, it’s all about the follow up shots and there’s no need to lug a chunky dunk AR-10 around. I shoot 556 because of volume. If I was making a few special trips, it would be 6.8SPC.

Yeah, I have a trip to Texas planned in October and two in Georgia, dec/Jan.

I guess I’m not opposed to small frame, but it’s never big sounders where I hunt so I was looking for more knockdown power. How available is 6.8 ammo? Grendel would be perfect if it was ever in stock anymore

Last edited:
I have a Valkyrie also, if I was going to shoot a 5.56 I would just do that but I don’t want to have to be selective on bullets

How available is 6.8 ammo? Grendel would be perfect if it was ever in stock anymore
Like I said, I shoot 556 so not up to speed on other ammo availability. 6.8 has some real legit power. Grendel is good also, but IMO it’s not as reliable in AR platform.

Reactions: Smith1
Harnessed in an overhead Huey with a Benelli M4 on a frame sling mount (reverse lead) or Wilson Combat .300 Hammer.

Harnessed in an overhead Huey with a Benelli M4 on a frame sling mount (reverse lead) or Wilson Combat .300 Hammer.

I’d sure love to do the first option. This is a turn off for the second one though

39E9C671-EBC2-4821-92D6-9AA634BA0C8C.png

I’d sure love to do the first option. This is a turn off for the second one though

View attachment 7937574
Wilson had some bad luck releasing the 300 HAM'R when they did. 2-3 years earlier and it probably would have had a better foothold when the ammo shortages happened. At least they learned enough from the 7.62x40 roll-out to give it a catchy name.

5.56 with good bullets will get it done. The 62gr Hornady bthp’s have a heavier jacket and work pretty good. I think they load them in their Frontier line and are available through Midsouth Shooting Supply from time to time if you load your own. Federal Fusion’s are bonded, fairly easy to find, and usually priced reasonably.

If you’re stuck on 308 the Criterion 16”, rifle gas, melonite barrels shoot good. You’re gonna lose some meat but 125 grain nosler ballistic tips are the trick for shooting hogs and deer at normal hunting ranges. If you really hate them, 110 grain vmax lol.

Last edited:
My property down here in Florida is very thick and some of it very wet. I have a very big population of hogs because it is alongside a giant preserve that is game rich. I have killed lots of pigs with everything from a 22 mag pistol to my lapua. I have had many friends come with me with 223 and 556, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 spc, bushmaster 450 and so on. Two things always stand out….
When hunting in the jungle, 50 yards max
#1 headshots or neck shots with any caliber
#2 body shots 7/08 3/08 and larger because unless you have dogs you are unlikely to recover.
I can’t tell you how many guests I preached head shots to with small caliber but they read on the internet that body shots are ethical ,then afterwards they didn’t recover the pigs they shot.
The next time after I preached some more the smarter ones listen and have no tracking.

Open areas are a different story. In a bean field or hay field you have lots of time for follow up shots and you can see them running. Get out your small stuff and let her rip.

Even stuff like 22 creed with match bullets don’t do it in the thick stuff. A 75 grain swift bonded works pretty good.

A 16” 308 pattern with a low power scope or an eotech is the ticket, but either a really good brake or a suppressor is kinda needed for fast follow up shots. My personal best is 5 pigs in a semi thick wooded stand. That was with nosler 168 grain bonded performance. They are pricey but they leave two holes and hurt them. Honestly even ballistic tips put them down quickly with a bigger bore gun.
Of course ymmv and someone surely has had a complete opposite experience and opinion. Hopefully
My experience has helped you get closer to a decision.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
5.56 works great, right up until you start pegging multiple runners. They will eventually due, but it'll most likely be on the next property over. However if you're hunting one or two pigs from a blind 50 - 150 yards from a bait pile...5.56 away.

I am a huge fan of the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel. Three years ago factory Hornady SST could be delivered to your door for $180/200 rounds, and it was about as good as anything. Those days are gone, and you'll most likely need to reload.

Enter the .308. It's heavier in a large frame AR, and recoil is much more unless you're one of those assholes that just uses an aggressive brake (raises hand). However, cheap 150 - 180gr hunting ammo from an 18" barrel kills pigs like nothing else, so it actually ends up being less to feed.

I've put together two pig rifles in .308 with 18 inch barrels, and I've not found a reason to suggest a different length. Perhaps if you hunt in thick woods you could go a couple inches shorter, but I have no experience with that.

Last edited:
#1 headshots or neck shots with any caliber
A 16” 308 pattern with a low power scope or an eotech is the ticket, but either a really good brake or a suppressor is kinda needed for fast follow up shots. My personal best is 5 pigs in a semi thick wooded stand. That was with nosler 168 grain bonded performance. They are pricey but they leave two holes and hurt them. Honestly even ballistic tips put them down quickly with a bigger bore gun.
Of course ymmv and someone surely has had a complete opposite experience and opinion. Hopefully
My experience has helped you get closer to a decision.

I don’t want to have to be selective with shot placement. It’s a 9+ hour drive or in the case of Texas a $400 flight so I want to make sure I’m putting pigs down. I also hunt with thermal at night. A lot of good points made there
I am a huge fan of the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel. Three years ago factory Hornady SST could be delivered to your door for $180/200 rounds, and it was about as good as anything. Those days are gone, and you'll most likely need to reload.

Enter the .308. It's heavier in a large frame AR, and recoil is much more unless you're one of those assholes that just uses an aggressive brake (raises hand). However, cheap 150 - 180gr hunting ammo from an 18" barrel kills pigs like nothing else, so it actually ends up being less to feed.

I've put together two pig rifles in .308 with 18 inch barrels, and I've not found a reason to suggest a different length. Perhaps if you hunt in thick woods you could go a couple inches shorter, but I have no experience with that.
18” looks like the size I’ll end up going with. I shoot suppressed from a tripod so I’m not too worried about recoil. I don’t see myself woods hunting on any of these trips, and I’m already used to a 24” barrel so the 18” will feel small anyway lol.

You’re spot on with the Grendel, it’s just too expensive on ammo or that would be my ticket. Same with 6mm arc currently

Last edited:
Reactions: JS8588
5.56 works great, right up until you start pegging multiple runners. They will eventually due, but it'll most likely be on the next property over. However if you're hunting one or two pigs from a blind 50 - 150 yards from a bait pile...5.56 away
I am in Texas so nothing like jungle, but I have not experienced this problem. I shoot the IMI 77 razorcore and any head, neck or pulmonary hit inside of 250 yards kills them (14.5" barrel).

Reactions: Jsp556
I am in Texas so nothing like jungle, but I have not experienced this problem. I shoot the IMI 77 razorcore and any head, neck or pulmonary hit inside of 250 yards kills them (14.5" barrel).

CNS hits or hits in the circulatory system should kill with a 5.56. I've done it quite a bit myself. My bullets of choice were the 64gr Gold Dot and the Mk 318 Mod 0.

I also only recovered ~ 75% of the hit running hogs with a 5.56, where your chances of a perfect hit are reduced drastically. It's a moot point if you're only going to take one hog out of the group, but if you're trying to kill and recover as many as possible then it starts to matter.

That percentage jumps to well over 90% once I got into more powerful cartridges (in my case; 6.8, 6.5, and .308).