• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .308 Barrel

Big_Kumar

MMNC(SS)
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2019
NM
I am getting ready to rebuild one of my .308s and I ended up buying 2 barrels because I couldn't decide which one to go with.

A) Bartlein, Heavy Varmit Profile with 1:9" Twist
B) Proof Research, M24 Profile with 1:10" Twist

This rig will spend most of its time 400-800 yds but will stretch it's legs a couple times a year to 1000+ yds. I generally run 175-200 gr bullets in it, but this particular rifle kind of gets used as a test platform and ends up running a variety of bullets through it from 160-220+ gr. It is probably going to get cut down to 24", but I haven't decided on that either. Ultimately, I am just trying to find my best chance of being decently accurate across a variety of loads.

Which barrel would you have the smith spin on?

bartlein. because HV, 9 twist, and bartlein

I bought the Bartlein first because I wanted to try the 1:9”, then I started second guessing myself and picked up the 1:10” because I thought it might be a little more forgiving with different bullet weights.

Are you ever going to carry this over terrain -- because that M24's going to be pretty heavy if you do.
HV is significantly heavier

OP: If you're just talking for precision, Bartlein for sure. I ended up getting an MTU recently because it was in stock, but I'd have preferred the HV if I could've gotten it. PRS is my use case.

1708383269009.png

• Wow
Reactions: sinister
Are you ever going to carry this over terrain -- because that M24's going to be pretty heavy if you do.
This isn’t a hunting rig so I’m not really worried about weight. If anything, heavier is probably preferred.

I bought the Bartlein first because I wanted to try the 1:9”, then I started second guessing myself and picked up the 1:10” because I thought it might be a little more forgiving with different bullet weights.
I have a PVA 9 twist in .308 on an old AE and it shoots everything from Speer 125 grain hp’s to Sierra 220’s into tiny little groups. Don't worry about being handicapped by the 9 twist.

Reactions: Big_Kumar
I have a PVA 9 twist in .308 on an old AE and it shoots everything from Speer 125 grain hp’s to Sierra 220’s into tiny little groups. Don't worry about being handicapped by the 9 twist.
I was worried the 1:9" would be too fast for some of the lighter bullets, but apparently I shouldn't be.

Probably could have saved some money if I had asked before I bought the Proof.

Does anybody have a good reason not to go with the 1:9” Bartlein before I send it off?

I have a 1-9 in my son's 20-inch SR-25. If it's leaving the muzzle slower than out of a longer bolt-gun barrel you might want the faster twist to help maintain stability over your longer ranges.

Since you're planning a 24-inch finished length I don't think it'll make a major difference.

Go heavy varmint because theres more than enough meat to set it back when the time comes. That’s what I did..

IMG_1235.jpeg

You can't go wrong with Bartlein, but I am spinning up a PROOF Competition Contour (1:10 twist rate) for my AXMC. It is like an MTU contour only a little heavier. Will be 26" finished length.

I have had good luck with PROOF Stainless, Bartlein and Krieger

I vote for and use the 1-9 twist as the best versitle choice. My recent 308s were Bartlein 8 twist and 9 twist.
8 twist is a long action on a 30" barrel heavy palma.
The 9 twist is more portable hunting rifle Rem Varmit contour on a 22" Bartlein, it runs the 200 gr SMK at 2740 fps .715 g1 bc or 155s to 3100 fps and 230 gr SMK .8 bc at 2550 fps.
The 30" 8 twist is faster at 2856 Ave for the 200 SMK, and will handle 250 gr ATIPS.
Its also accurate with light 130 gr Speer Varmint bullets.

Attachments

• 20210608_171115.jpg
    20210608_171115.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 13