• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Which 308 Chamber Reamer to use

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
I am preparing my first build. I plan on building a tactical rifle with an M2008 Badger ordinance. I am planning on getting a 1:10 5r or 1:11.25. I plan on using an AICS stock as well. My intention with the rifle is to shoot mostly 168 and 175 Bullets. Most if not all of which will be handloaded for utmost accuracy. I would like the option of shooting a heavier 200-210gr smk for subsonic rounds through a suppressor.

My question is What reamer will be best suited for this application. From what I understand I have eliminated the 95 palma reamer due to it being shorter and intended for 55 gr bullets. (please correct me if i am wrong)

Re: Which 308 Chamber Reamer to use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: field</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call PTG and talk to Dave Kiff </div></div>

I did do that, he recommended a Bisley, but as I research this reamer all I can find is data pertaining to shooting 55 gr ammo more common to competitive bench rest shooting. Cant find anything on the heavier bullets.

I shoot 175s with a Bisley chamber and it is awesome, I think Bisley will do great for about anything you are wanting as stated. Will work great with AI mag length, and I was planning on same reamer to shoot 208s at full speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mioduz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: field</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call PTG and talk to Dave Kiff </div></div>

I did do that, he recommended a Bisley, but as I research this reamer all I can find is data pertaining to shooting 55 gr ammo more common to competitive bench rest shooting. Cant find anything on the heavier bullets. </div></div>

The reamer you speak of is probably the Palma match because in Palma shooting they are limited to 155.5 grain projectile. If you want to shoot match heavies like 175/190/208 then go with the Bisley Match from PTG.

the PTG TAC Match has more freebore than the Bisley and still allows 168s and 175s (COAL 2.825" to lands) to be run at AICS mag length. 208s can be used as well (2.960")

you will not be able to shoot the subsonics you mentioned with 10 or 11 twist, FYI. I cant stabilize the 168 SMK subsonic out of an 11 twist, but the 155 shoots nicely

The Bisley and the .308/95 Palma match where set up like was stated earlier for the palma shooters.

I like the .308 Obermeyer reamer myself.

Call PTG or JGS for the reamers.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bisley is the one Dave leaned me towards

Kc </div></div>

How did it work out for you? What kind of rifles are you builing? What kind of ammo do you shoot?

This assumes you shoot most accurately just kissing the lands:
Ideally you want to build your rounds as short as possible and still be able to get the powder you need in the case. Now ream to that OAL where the bullet just kisses the lands.

As the barrel wears the land distance will grow and you can load your rounds to longer and longer OAL until you hit mag length restriction.

If you load single round, you can keep chasing the lands until the bullet doesn't have enough purchase to stay in the case.

To further complicate things, if you get to mag length and can switch to a longer bullet (longer means, longer as to where the 308 starts), you can switch bullets and shorten the OAL and still be kissing the lands with the new, longer bullet.

Anyway, this is one approach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bisley is the one Dave leaned me towards

Kc </div></div>

Ozzie chambered my latest 308 with the Bisley and it shoots bugholes with everything I've stuffed through it:

168, 178, 208 Amax, 175 SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bisley is the one Dave leaned me towards

Kc </div></div>

Ozzie chambered my latest 308 with the Bisley and it shoots bugholes with everything I've stuffed through it:

</div></div>

Thank you those are the exact rounds I was looking to use. May I ask what twist and barrel manufacture you are using. I was planning a bartlein 11.25 5R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mioduz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bisley is the one Dave leaned me towards

Kc </div></div>

</div></div>

Thank you those are the exact rounds I was looking to use. May I ask what twist and barrel manufacture you are using. I was planning a bartlein 11.25 5R </div></div>

8.5tw Brux.

You need a 10tw to handle the 210gr class at supersonic speeds

I went super fast for throwing 240/250's at subsonic speeds. The 308 doesn't have enough capacity to blow up the 168's so no worry there.

Clymer national match reamer is specifically ground for the 168smk.
It is the timeless standard of quality and dimension.

I have been doing a lot of resarch on this also as I am in the market for a new barrel for my AR-10(Armalite). Everything I have read points to the Obermeyer being the best of all worlds. When I spoke with the guys at Krieger at the Shot Show even they recomended the Obermeyer chamber.

My predicament shooting an AR-10 is obviously the limitations on COAL set forth by the magazine. I have come to the conclusion that I can load to a max COAL of 2.860 and have it function/feed reliabley from the magazines.

My question is for those that ARE running the Obermeyer chamber. What kind of COAL's are you getting loading bullets like 175gr SHPBT, Hornady 178gr HPBT and any of the heavy Berger VLD's into the lands?

The 95 Palma and the Bisley are basiclly the same except for the slightly longer free bore of the Bisley. Both were designed for Palma style shooting but the Bisley wasn't designed until a match in Bisley, England where the US shooters needed a slightly longer free bore so they wouldn't be in the lands at their COAL hence the name "Bisley"

The 95 Palma is good for 155's but the 175's will be about 2.780"ish in the lands. The Bisley will give you roughly a COAL of 2.830"ish with the 175's in the lands and is my default 308 reamer. The Oby match is another great reamer and I wouldnt be affraid of it. For AI magazines either will work fine and you wont be able to tell the difference in the way of accuracy.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 95 Palma and the Bisley are basiclly the same except for the slightly longer free bore of the Bisley. Both were designed for Palma style shooting but the Bisley wasn't designed until a match in Bisley, England where the US shooters needed a slightly longer free bore so they wouldn't be in the lands at their COAL hence the name "Bisley"

The 95 Palma is good for 155's but the 175's will be about 2.780"ish in the lands. The Bisley will give you roughly a COAL of 2.830"ish with the 175's in the lands and is my default 308 reamer. The Oby match is another great reamer and I wouldnt be affraid of it. For AI magazines either will work fine and you wont be able to tell the difference in the way of accuracy.

Good luck. </div></div>

Boy, this guy has his shit together!!! I'm only sorry that I'm not his neighbor.