• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 338 Lapua rifle?

igotyour6

#2A
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I am considering a 338 Lapua rifle for my next rifle to reach my goal and hit the 1760 yard mark. I don't hand load yet but that will probably be next. Will probably either add a SB PM II or perhaps an IOR Valdata Crusader for the glass. Prefer a .5 MOA rifle but 1 MOA will do. What brand do you recommend with a budget of $2500 to $5000 in mind? Thanks.

I believe euro optic have an AI 338 on sales now for 5k

With that budget it’s hard to do better than MPA for a factory build. Defiance action, sweet chassis, great company and 1/2 MOA guarantee.

If you’re going custom “I” would not order a “from scratch” full build from anyone. Watch for anything Lapua Mag related from an afore mentioned website and you will see some extreme prices for what you get. You can save a shit ton by sending in the parts to get put together, even to the same shop ha, just look at their price lists and do the math. I have a full custom LA Defiance Deviant with cut out rail, proof carbon 338 Barrel, Manners PRS1 with 4 flush cups and Badger rail, Timney CE, Wyatt’s extended Mag box with bottom metal, seamless brake, 338 RUM, bedded, cerakote, etc... prices as follow (shipped)

Action1405, Proof Barrel 750, Trigger 220, BDL/box 150, PRS1 934,Chamber 300, Thread/Brake 200, Bedding 200, Cerakote 200.

You can see that’s $4359 total and it’s from a very well known and respected PRS supporting Smith/Shop, not bug tussle gun works of Miller’s Pond Illinois. A carbon Defiance like that will run well over 5k if it’s already assembled from a big box builder. What’s worse is, it’s not even to your specs or the way you like it, you're essentially paying to avoid the wait.

Go Stiller, steel barrel, Timney 510, and a McMillan and save almost 1K, granted a DBM will add a bit over my BDL.
-250 -400 -75 -250

Manners has a bunch of flat top stocks ready for inlet with a 4 to 6 week delivery period. Mine arrived at 4 weeks and 3 days. Just waiting the next 4 weeks for delivery of a finished product from my smith. Though, I might send it off to dittokote for a custom paint job on the stock, after all it’s a hunting rig and I plan on keeping it.

As always this is just my $.02

Reactions: igotyour6