• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 338

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm thinking of getting a long range hunting rifle in 338. Looking at what Shaun Carlock does with the Edge I was thinking to going with that, the 338 Edge. But what are the pros and cons between that and say 338 Lapua? What about the 338 Winchester? How does the Winchester stack up? Looking at ranges just beyond 1000 yards.

Re: Which 338

As you know, the 338 Edge is a 300 RUM case neck up to accept the 338 bullet. The 338 LM is 416 rigby neck down to accept 338 bullet. I don't think you can compare the 338 winchester with the other two cartridges, because it is not even in the same league.

I don't have a 338 Edge so I can't comment on that, but I love my 338 LM. Distance wise, I am good to go out to 2000 yards. My understanding is that the 338 Edge has the "edge" on the 338 LM in this department. Gonna take lots of powders to drive both but the "edge" will take more powder. 300 RUM brass are cheaper than 338 LM brass. Barrel life?

I wanted the same thing, a LR hunting rifle in 338. I ordered a Desert Tactical SRS. Since it is a switchbarrel, I can shoot 308 most of the time to save $$. Also only requires one scope for effectively 2 rifles. 11" shorter than my 22" barreled GAP 308.

Should have a RR next week,

note: Please pay attention to twist rate so that you get a rifle which shoots the 300 grainers well, as the 250s will not be optimal beyone 1K.

I have built a few Lapua's, and alot of Edge's for customers and I use an Edge myself. From what I have seen, the 338 Edge will out perform the Lapua by a slight margin, all things being equal....barrel length, pressure, etc. We usually get 6-7 loadings on the Remington Ultra brass, and the Lapua guys might get 7-9 loadings. The Edge is easier to build on standard Remington actions, where the Lapua takes opening the bolt face, adding extractors or a custom receiver.

I am a big fan of the Edge, but the Lapua is no slouch either. We run 300gr SMK at 2920fps out of our 31" barreled 338 Edge's...most of the 30" Edge's run 2820-2880. The 30" Lapua's I have built all top out at around 2800-2830 with the 300SMK. I know you can push them harder, but at what price????

Either one will get to extended ranges...pick one and have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">note: Please pay attention to twist rate so that you get a rifle which shoots the 300 grainers well, as the 250s will not be optimal beyone 1K.</div></div>

Says who???

http://www.longrangeresearchinstitute.com/gpage6.html</div></div>

+1......250's are no slouch out past 1k. Once a high BC 250gr hunting bullet comes out, I doubt many with an Edge or LM will be shooting the 300's.

Taa hell with yall........

I win.

Remember 80% on the front foot.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HyAl9qK3Rlg&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HyAl9qK3Rlg&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>