• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 338LM rifle?

grkmec

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Stamford, CT
This is my 2010 project... do not currently have a 338.

Budget is $10k or less. Which one do you buy and why?

FYI, currently my only bolt rifle is a Remy 5R .308 in AICS stock and it shoots 1/3 minute out to 900. It has a Heritage Premier 3.5-15x scope on it.

I already have a 5-25x heritage premier scope waiting for whatever 338LM I get and would add an AAC Titan-QD to round it out.

Suggestions?

Re: Which 338LM rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my 2010 project... do not currently have a 338.

FYI, currently my only bolt rifle is a Remy 5R .308 in AICS stock and it shoots 1/3 minute out to 900. It has a Heritage Premier 3.5-15x scope on it.

I already have a 5-25x heritage premier scope waiting for whatever 338LM I get and would add an AAC Titan-QD to round it out.

Suggestions? </div></div>

If you have a 5R that shoot's 1/3 minute groups out to 900 yards you should enter some comps as you would surely kick ass. Personally, I find the above claim hard to believe especially if you are claiming it as consistant performance. As far as which rifle to buy, I personally would go with a Surgeon Remedy but that's just my opinion. Steve.

I would recommend the Accuracy International AWSM .338. Why, I can type and type till the fingers go blue, but just easier to explain in person. If you desire, send me a PM or call me Monday and I will be glad to discuss with you in full detail. Happy holidays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my 2010 project... do not currently have a 338.

If you have a 5R that shoot's 1/3 minute groups out to 900 yards you should enter some comps as you would surely kick ass. Personally, I find the above claim hard to believe especially if you are claiming it as consistant performance. As far as which rifle to buy, I personally would go with a Surgeon Remedy but that's just my opinion. Steve.</div></div>

Steve,

I appreciate your skepticism as I am not a frequent poster here. In order to avoid thread drift, I would like to address your concerns head-on. I shot a 6-round, sub 3inch group in July 2009 at 900 yards with my rifle while attending a 3-day long range tactical rifle class by Vernon Harrison. He was calling the wind and spotting for me. Certainly there was an element of luck involved, along with near perfect conditions and having a world renowned sniper/spotter helps
smile.gif
I do not kid myself into thinking my results are repeatable with any consistency. If you would like to verify my claims, please feel free to contact Vern Harrison at CVT. Thanks for your suggestions on the surgeon remedy.

Stacey - I appreciate your offer and I will call you. I am currently on vacation and will be back the 1st week of January. I will plan to call you then. Thanks!

grkmec. No need to verify as I too have shot some excellent groups over the years. However, I do not consider these groups a measure of mine or my rifles accuracy (just simply luck). This is why when I see a post that says "1/3 minute groups out to 900 yards" I become doubtful, very doubtful. In the future you might want to post your rifles "consistant" accuracy as opposed to something that you shot once in a school. Now back to your thread. I would also give George at GAP a holler. He builds excellent sticks and is a hell of a nice guy. Hope this helps. Steve.

I have the same project on the go right now. I ended up building a custom gun that should be finished in a couple months.
338 lapua, PGW Timberwolf action, KMW sentinel stock, krieger 1/10 barrel, jewell trigger and a 5.5x22x50 nightforce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my 2010 project... do not currently have a 338.

AIAWSM 338 LM. It is great out of the box for accuracy. It's bomb proof. Now, I am not saying that other custom guns are not.. Now, if you are tired of shooting the 338 LM and want a little variety if you will, then change the barrel, and bolt and you are open up to 300 Win Mag, 7 mm Rem Mag. You can do it with just one scope too. Now try that for a custom gun...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHP9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a PGWDTI Timberwolf.

www.pgwdti.com </div></div>

grin.gif
grin.gif

There are so many good rifles for that price, what are you going to do with it , tactical shooting, tasrget? etc.
Top two I would suggest are
1. PGW timberwolf " I have a coyote in 308 on its way "
2. then the AWM in what ever config you like
Bill

There are so many good rifles for that price, what are you going to do with it , tactical shooting, target? etc.
Top two I would suggest are
1. PGW timberwolf " I have a coyote in 308 on its way "
2. then the AWM in what ever config you like
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my 2010 project... do not currently have a 338.

AIAWSM 338 LM. It is great out of the box for accuracy. It's bomb proof. Now, I am not saying that other custom guns are not.. Now, if you are tired of shooting the 338 LM and want a little variety if you will, then change the barrel, and bolt and you are open up to 300 Win Mag, 7 mm Rem Mag. You can do it with just one scope too. Now try that for a custom gun... </div></div>

+1 get the AI

What about a Desert Tactical?
My 338 shot a 3/8" 100 yd group the other day. I feel like it is a sub 1/2" moa gun. The main problem with it seems to be the driver.

I am new to the bolt gun thing- I got the DTA so I could shoot a bunch with a cheaper caliber and yet still have a 338lm. For way less than 10K you can have two calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon XL Remedy on an AICS chassis stock using the new longer CIP mags. </div></div>

Can you explain the CIP mag issue? I noticed in another thread someone mentioned AI was coming out with a new 2010 version of the AW338 to address this issue. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a Desert Tactical?
My 338 shot a 3/8" 100 yd group the other day. I feel like it is a sub 1/2" moa gun. The main problem with it seems to be the driver.

I am new to the bolt gun thing- I got the DTA so I could shoot a bunch with a cheaper caliber and yet still have a 338lm. For way less than 10K you can have two calibers. </div></div>

I am giving the DTA serious consideration. One question I do have is what is the zero shift when you go from a .308 barrel to a .338 barrel?

And my next question is what kind of accuracy can this hold at intermediate ranges? How far out can this thing hod 1/2 MOA? I am a little skeptical of the inherent accuracy of a quick barrel change platform.

Zero shift between calibers depends on the set of barrels you get. Some have as little as 1/2", some as much as 6". The impact shift is dead nuts repeatable each time you swap the barrels though, just like installing a suppressor.

Inherit accuracy of the system is demonstrated in the thread below, it contains accuracy targets shot not only by myself but independant SRS owners. As far as accuracy and distance it will shoot with the best systems on the market all day long. We consistently shoot SRS rifles to 2000 yards.

When we were at Ft. Benning last month then we demonstrated swapping between the 308 Win and 338LM barrels for the sniper school instructors mostly to keep the 338LM barrel from overheating during the demonstration. It worked great they would get behind the gun just after I swapped between calibers and I adjusted the scope for the impact shift and they were making cold bore shots with the new barrels point of aim point of impact from 300 - 900 yards, and then they would ask how repeatable the system was when pulling the barrel out and putting it back in and I would point out to them that they had watched me just install the barrel before they shot the gun and they would say that's right! (with amazement).

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...063#Post1441063

Sako TRG 42 with Finnish Defense force Zeiss diavari scope w/ 250 gr SMK

I currently shoot two 338s, the first one I bought was AI AWSM and then I purchased a Surgeon XL Remedy. Have a range that has a 555 target out to 2000 yards. Both guns shoot perfectly at 1760yards, both shoot 250 and 300 grain, scenars preferably, if I were to purchase one gun I'd choose the Surgeon over AI. Preston w/ Surgeon rifles was awesome, any issues moving forward are address immediately. I had a very negative experience w/ an issue regarding peening or metal moving on my locking lug which put my AI out of commission for 7 plus months. This is the first time I've address the issue online. I own a few AI rifles, they're top shelf but my Surgeon is my first choice when it comes to a cold bore at 1000, then following up at 1500 or 1760.

There are a lot of choices out there. Here is mine
THE MOST INCREDIBLE DEAL EDM ARMS HAS EVER OFFERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW AVALIBLE! DUE TO OVER WHELMING REQUEST!
EDM ARMS IS BRINGING BACK THE MODEL 98 .338 LAPUA, AFTER A FIVE YEAR BREAK.

FOR THE AMAZING PRICE OF $4950.00

THIS RIFLE COMES COMPLETE:
mono pod, bi pod, picitiny rail, & one extra magazine
The barrel length is 26 1/2 inches (you may order a barrel up to 30")
(TAXES & SHIPPING ARE EXTRA)
OTHER EXTRA'S ARE AVALIBLE, PLEASE PHONE US FOR MORE INFORMATION

THREE WAYS TO PAY:
1. 100% DOWN, 14 TO 16 WEEKS DELIVERY
2. 50% DOWN, 20 WEEKS DELIVERY
3. 2000 DOWN, 12 MONTHS NO INTEREST LAY A WAY

(WE ACCEPT ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS)

Call or click contact us for placing an order today. 435-635-5233

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently shoot two 338s, the first one I bought was AI AWSM and then I purchased a Surgeon XL Remedy. Have a range that has a 555 target out to 2000 yards. Both guns shoot perfectly at 1760yards, both shoot 250 and 300 grain, scenars preferably, if I were to purchase one gun I'd choose the Surgeon over AI. Preston w/ Surgeon rifles was awesome, any issues moving forward are address immediately. I had a very negative experience w/ an issue regarding peening or metal moving on my locking lug which put my AI out of commission for 7 plus months. This is the first time I've address the issue online. I own a few AI rifles, they're top shelf but my Surgeon is my first choice when it comes to a cold bore at 1000, then following up at 1500 or 1760.

</div></div>

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the Surgeon. What is the barrel length and what velocities are you seeing with the 250 and 300 scenars?

Thanks,
Chris

American Precision Arms- Excellent rifles. You get what you pay for. Look them up them call and talk to Jared.

I would look at the following ,

1 ) Timberwolf folder

2 ) Apex folder

3 ) AI AX338

i got a bat 1300 for action 200 trigger jewl 260 bottom metal hs 500 for barrel and hs stock 200 about 2300 in rifle

i personally shoot trg-42 with zeiss 3-12x56 finndot and attend competitions in finland with it succesfully.

comments on this.
-original barrel was accurate with b408 but burned at 1800rds. It was still relatively accurate at 2200rds as i swept it away, but the velocity with factory ammo dropt to 2800fps. i scored constant hits with this barrel up to 1400m. older guns have better quality steel and therefore the barrel lasts longer on them. Currently i have a 1/12 twist 27,125inch crm lilja barrel on it.

-bolt release/stop broke at 3000rds. i bougt a new one.

-bipod is nice, but the bipod mounting base has to be tightened after every 1000rds.

-trigger system has jammed occasionally in my and my frieds trg:s during comp and practice. Therefore i now have more simple and robust single stage trigger.

Al in all
Trg
+Nice ergonomics and easy to shoot of hand.
-Trigger is not 100% field reliable
+Accurate 0.5 to 1moa with lapua bullets.
+Easy feeding and ejection.
-Brass tends to grow from the base, since the chamber has been widened from back for ease of ejection. This does not give any problem if you use the brass only in trg but if you use it in a tight chamber it will.
-Barrel has a limited lifespan. The original barrel is overly expensive.

i have some experience of the dta srs

+compact
+easy to handle recoil due straight line of stock. i shot succesfully with 338lm up to 800m without muzzle brake.
+quick to shoot in close quorters.
+-trigger is not as nice in feel as trg
+-the transfer system of trigger raises questions of field reliability. So far the owner has not faced any problems.
+ i like the caliber conversion possibility.
- the owner of dta prescribed noticed tooling marks in chamber, which gave a mark to brass.

I believe all guns have minor problems. All the problems of trg and dta can be deled with.

If DTAC claims are true; I would have to give them a serious look! Heck you could even sell your 5R!

Has anybody used or looked at a McMillan tac338? I am considering purchasing a .338LM this year and have looked at the McMillan as well as the Surgeon and AI.

I would prefer a Mc Ree stock with a Lawton System. What do you guys think about this combination? Or even better the Remington MSR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody used or looked at a McMillan tac338? I am considering purchasing a .338LM this year and have looked at the McMillan as well as the Surgeon and AI. </div></div>

I owned a McMillan Tac 338 very good stick sold to buy AIAWSM.

These will fit the bill nicely
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would look at the following ,

1 ) Timberwolf folder

2 ) Apex folder

3 ) AI AX338 </div></div>

You might also want to look at the Blaser/Sig Tactical 2 338 Lapua. Some of the nice features include interchangeable barrels. The rifle is modular and similar to the Desert Tactical rifle and can be configured with 223, 308, 300 win mag, and 338 lapua barrels/bolt heads/magazines. The rifle also has bolt radial locking system with straight pull back of the bolt. The scope is mounted directly on the barrel by means of the picatinny rail. The rifle is made by Blaser and marketed and distributed by Sig Sauer. Given the limited lifespan of most barrels and the high cost of most rifles in this class, I felt this was my best option. I'm now saving up for the Desert Tactical HTI. Good luck.
Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rxs0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might also want to look at the Blaser/Sig Tactical 2 338 Lapua. Some of the nice features include interchangeable barrels. The rifle is modular and similar to the Desert Tactical rifle and can be configured with 223, 308, 300 win mag, and 338 lapua barrels/bolt heads/magazines. The rifle also has bolt radial locking system with straight pull back of the bolt. The scope is mounted directly on the barrel by means of the picatinny rail. The rifle is made by Blaser and marketed and distributed by Sig Sauer. Given the limited lifespan of most barrels and the high cost of most rifles in this class, I felt this was my best option. I'm now saving up for the Desert Tactical HTI. Good luck.
Rich </div></div>

If you get a chance,search this site for the Blaser,that you so highly recommend.

I went with a TRG-42 and love it. Only got one chance to try it out, so shot it at a Mid-range 3x600. Shot it first match and shot a 200-14x. Was impressed needless to say.

I did. What in particular do you have in mind?
Rich

IMHO Desert Tactical SRS bullpup definitely for best overall in terms of a combination of flexibility, accuracy, ergonomics, and size with the kind of budget you are talking about. These are amazing rifles, plus Nick is a great guy to deal with if you ever had any issues. Not in the same class as the SRS, but for those who only have around $2K to spend and still want a good sub-MOA 338 Lapua Magnum rifle, I saw in the latest edition of the American Rifleman that Savage just introduced a 338LM platform for $2,300. That ain't bad if you are on the low end of the budget scale, and Savage makes a decent rifle.

I'll toss in my recommendation on the SRS - it's versatile AND accurate. Here's a video from last week where I was drilling steel targets at 1250 yards. For a .338LM, that distance isn't a big deal, but my targets were the size of a laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPh5Bor15Bs

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the AI, McMillan or custom Surgeon build either - they're all dead nuts good rifles. But with the SRS you get an added level of versatility that you won't find with those other rifles.
DSC_0069.jpg

I am very new to ELR shooting, but I agree with Stacey. Out of the box, you won't get a better rifle that the AIAW338. Not to mention the versatility, bbl changing capability, etc.... Indeed, it is bombproof...

Get the AI or SRS and get Mike R. at TAC OPS to build you a .338 suppresor and tread your barrel, you wont be dissapointed, he guarentees his .308 cans for 50,000+ round use from what ive heard, not sure on the .338. Why get a pgw when its accuracy guarentee is only .75moa?????? if you can wait a little over a year, id also call Mike R. and see if he ca build you what you need.
Just my .02
-Felipe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the AI or SRS and get Mike R. at TAC OPS to build you a .338 suppresor and tread your barrel, you wont be dissapointed, he guarentees his .308 cans for 50,000+ round use from what ive heard, not sure on the .338. Why get a pgw when its accuracy guarentee is only .75moa?????? if you can wait a little over a year, id also call Mike R. and see if he ca build you what you need.
Just my .02
-Felipe </div></div>

I'm not taking anything away from the other rifles because they're all very robust and accurate platforms however, if you talk to people that own a Timberwolf or have shot one you'll quickly find out that they shoot better than .75 moa. Besides, I'll take a consistent .75 moa anyday over something that may shoot sub 1/2 moa one day and 1.5 moa the next.

I do like the idea of the barrel conversions that the SRS offers. The concept of running one scope and one platform is very appealing to me.