• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which .45 to keep?

Nailz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I am needing to fund some other things in my life at the moment and am needing to sell off a pistol, trying to decide which one, hoping you folks can help make the decision easier (will be selling an FNAR as well).

I have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator 1911 and an HK USP45 Tactical. They both shoot great, have been well taken care of and each probably has less than 250 rounds through them.

From past experiences, or present, which one would I be better off holding onto in your opinions? I don't want to regret one down the road and I'm split down the middle at the moment.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Which .45 to keep?

Do you ever think you'll want to suppress a .45 if I'd hold on the the HK. If not the springfield makes a better CCW. I'd really hate to let go of either one. I have had to sell firearms before to get out of a bind I found myself in and always regreted it. Mostly becuase of the few firearms that my dad gave me. Did not mean that much to me back them but now that my dads gone I'd like to get the ones I sold back.

Thanks for the opinions so far... I probably won't suppress the HK and neither of these has any sentimental value attached to them other than they are great shooters.

If there were sentiments attached I'd look at selling some of my wifes stuff.
wink.gif

I just sold my 1911 to help fund an HK purchase. This is a duty piece so capacity and the ability to mount a light were my motivators. I'll be looking to another, smaller pistol for off duty/ccw scenarios.

That said, those Germans know how to build a fine weapon. Thoroughly impressed with the HK. Mine happens to be a USP 45 tactical too.

Ouch...what a decision! Don't you have some old beater firearms or junk you don't shoot anymore?!?! What about a kidney...hell, you have two and reeeaaally only need one, right?!?!?!
wink.gif

Unfortunately, I know the boat you are in all too well and I sympathize.

Despite being a certified HK enthusiast (I own several different USP variants...a Match, Experts, and a USPc...a couple P7's, various rifles/clones, etc.), I would probably keep the SA LW Champion Operator out of those two. Of all my HK pistols, I probably shot the Tactical the least and that is why I got rid of mine (needed to thin out one of the multiple .45acp pistols in the herd to make room). I don't have a .45acp can and don't plan to get one so the Tactical was just another hi-cap 45 in the pack that I didn't shoot as much as the others. I ended up trading mine for a nice scope.

Keep the 1911.

If something happened to either weapon, which could you get parts for and/or have a GS repair the fastest. Don't get me wrong I like HKs - but SA-CS is BETTER.

I would NEVER swap/trade/sell/give away a 1911 from one of the major manufacturers and keep ANYTHING with H&K stamped on it. I do love the german's craftmanship, but every H&K rifle/pistol I have ever owned or held just felt "wrong" in my hands. Can't explain better.

Of course, your mileage may vary and my advice is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

Keep the 1911

Patrick

Keep them both!! I agree with others I have a HK USP .45 and several 1911's. I would not trade any of them for the HK. Nothing wrong with the HK but nothing is like a high quality 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you sell off the wife and keep the pistols? </div></div>

I have thought about it MANY times....
smile.gif

I know how you feel about selling off your stuff but life goes on. Me, I would and will be selling off an H&K USP 45 in the July time frame because I would rather have a 1911 over an H&K USP 45.

Actually, I will be also selling off an H&K 94 and USC in the July time frame. I will be moving across country and need money to buy a house.

Wow, I'm honestly surprised at how one sided this is. Needless to say, it's not a duty weapon for me, so it looks like I will be putting up the HK shortly. Anyone who wants a shot at it earlier drop me a line.

Thanks again for the input, it's appreciated and kind of the way I thought it might go.

Keep the Springer for sure. HK's feel good to me, but there is just that certain something with my 1911's. Its like a well worn ball cap or a pair of boots that fit just right, it just plain feels better.

I am in almost the same position but I have a Mc Operator and HK USP Tactical.

The HK is going soon.

When it's a .45 a 1911 just feels so right!!

Vote for H&K as I think it is a better gun and more realible. Lots of people are very passionate about their 1911s, but it took a long time before companies came out with a realible 1911 that could handle all sorts of rounds. I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but I feel that 1911s are just liked by many Americans out of their tradition as serrvice guns. There are a lot of better 45 pistol designs out there, such as USP as well as Sig p220. I'm aware that there are lots of people that would argue otherwise.

Which one will get you the most money?
Dude, get your priorities straight.
Are you going to be unarmed when it all comes down?
Does the wife have a gun?
Make sure she has one, women are good at keeping worthy men alive.

The wife HATES guns so it doesn't much matter with her. As for cost of the guns, they are pretty close in value I believe.

Go to a practical pitol match and see how many HK's you see vs how many 1911's.....

Go to any LE agency that has both on their "approved" lists and see how many of each.....

Then you may see why its rather one sided.

Sell the HK, keep the LW Operator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wife HATES guns so it doesn't much matter with her. As for cost of the guns, they are pretty close in value I believe.</div></div>
it is amazing how many people hate guns until they need one. Sell the wife keep them both
grin.gif

vkc, you may be right about that, but try taking my 1911 from me and see how far you get ;-)
I say keep the 1911!

Funny I have a kimber tac pro 2 in 9mm and a s&w 945 both of which i would sell long before I ever sell my usp or for that matter the mk23. I would say sell the 1911 but then again sell what ever one you like less.

I would keep the 1911. I have mainly 1911s in my collection now.

If I may interject some experience here. I have owned 2 types of HK 45 handguns and HK45 and HK USP 45. Both guns were great and as I will tell you, along with others, that they are very reliable. Here is where I believe the 1911 speeds ahead. The HK first trigger pull is extremely heavy and will never loosen up; the first trigger pull is long so my small hands always made the first hit low; accessories are expensive, proprietary and just plain hard to find sometimes; HK night sites are crap in my opinion because they need a light source to charge then when you need it at night they do not shine like a 1911 night sights; they are bulky to carry, even the compact versions since it is a double stack; customization of the handgrip is fixed and especially on a USP it is totally fixed, not to say you couldn't find anything but again it would be hard to find; lastly replacement parts or upgrades on triggers are extremely hard to find.

the 1911 has accessories from God knows how many manufacturers and so many other gunsmiths will do multiple customizations for you like ceracoating, adding ambi safeties, etc. You will be better off keeping the 1911 because if your not happy with it and accessory that will make you happy is not that far away.

If you are 100% sure you will never get into suppressors then i would ditch the HK. However, if you live in a suppressor friendly state and do a lot of shooting the suppressor bug just might get you down the road. Two years ago I said I would never own a can, but after shooting with guys that have them that all changed. I've got 10 suppressors now and wouldn't be shocked if I added another in the future.

Here is a pic of my USP-T with a Silencerco Osprey can
Osprey002.jpg

Very nice Kevin... Unfortunately in Washington state, I can purchase a can, but for whatever stuping F'ing reason, I can't actually legally put it on a weapon and fire it.

Some retard lawmaker came up with that one obviously, so it does me no good, otherwise I might actually consider holding onto it.

Having never had a 1911 before this one I have now, I realized something... The first time I shot mine, I realized that all those bastards out there raving/smugly gloating about their stupid damn 1911's on every forum were frickin' right.
smile.gif
Shocked as I am, I'm going to need another one at some point.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Which .45 to keep?"</span>

The one that doesn't jam, of course.
shocked.gif

That would be your Glock 21, right?
grin.gif
Okay, kidding.

If it were me, I'd keep the 1911 and send the Teutonic tupperwear a-packin'.

Recent experience with this 99-year old warhorse has convinced me, as someone else suggested, that 1911s are "forever cool."

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">U.S. Army Colt 1911</span></span> ... a WWI battlefield specimen (and all correct).
Colt-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Can still get it done</span>:
Colt-T1.jpg

cool.gif

Steppenwolf, those are beauties, thanks for posting! And yes, Downzero, one of these days I will pick up a full sized 1911 as well, I consider myself newly addicted to these things!
smile.gif

It looks like I didn't get my pics taken quick enough of my USP .45 to get into the for sale sections, I see the post count requirement went from 51 to 100.

Oh well, probably enough time for me to figure out that I just want to keep them all.
smile.gif

i feel that wichever fits ur hand best and wichever u feel more comfortable with keep the other u can get back at another time remember only u know wich one is a better fit for u

1911,1911,1911, get the idea? is there anything beside this 100 yr. plus platform?? Thin profile, manstopper from hell,been through 2 world wars and at least 12 or more conflicts . Plus it's still the preferred choice of major high speed low drag crews worldwide .And the H&K has been through, , , hmmm.!what is it's pedigree besides famous name? 1911,1911,1911now don't htink I am prejudiced I do own other handguns besides my 12, 1911 ,1911

Which do you shoot better? I find that the full size USP 45 feels like a 2x4 in MY hand, but holds more rounds. I was in a similar situation (buying, not selling) and chose the 1911 for the ergonomics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which do you shoot better? I find that the full size USP 45 feels like a 2x4 in MY hand, but holds more rounds. I was in a similar situation (buying, not selling) and chose the 1911 for the ergonomics. </div></div>

They honestly both shoot really well for me, the HK does feel brick like, but not bad brick like a glock...
smile.gif
No offense to the glock guys, they just don't feel right to me.

But yes, the 1911 feels great, where has it been all my life?
wink.gif

+1 keep the 1911

If money was tight and I chose to sell off my weapons, or I just got tired of them, I'd still have a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell 'em both and get a Glock!!
smile.gif
</div></div>
Save the Gulf of Mexico, buy a Glock. For every Glock you buy, you're relieving the Gulf of Mexico waters of 20lbs of plastic ... erm ... oil
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They honestly both shoot really well for me, the HK does feel brick like, but not bad brick like a glock...
smile.gif
No offense to the glock guys, they just don't feel right to me.

But yes, the 1911 feels great, where has it been all my life?
wink.gif
</div></div>

No offense taken - either you love 'em or hate 'em.
Keep the GLOCK! (just kidding)

I'd ditch that HK - or think of it as which one can I get spare parts for easily?