• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 5.56 black rifle?

dreamlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
North Dakota, USA
I need to get myself something in 5.56/.223. It will primarily be a prairie dog and coyote gun. I want a black rifle, at least a 20 inch barrel, with accuracy being the primary concern. I would prefer to stay around that $2k or lower price range, but would still like to here all options.
So far I have looked at the Sig556 DMR and Armalite's M-15 A4 sprII. I Would like to here your experience or what you have heard about these or any other rifles that fit my criteria.

Re: Which 5.56 black rifle?

It's not a 20", but I'd bet you would be very happy with it. Link

Noveske is nice, but those are basically unobtanium at this point. they arent even taking orders to put on their wait list. Your best bet on an accurate black rifle that you could actually get in 4-6 weeks would be Larue tactical:
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100

the upper is non chrome lined with the polygonal rifling. you can get it in a 20". already has the rail to mount your bipod on. thats 1200 bux, then go get your self a nice lower with a good trigger and stock. should be right at the 2k mark.

I have one in 16", and with 52 grain black hills match i shot a .45 moa 5 shot group @ 100 yds. That was with a not so nice trigger. I think for your purpose, working up a load with some 69 gr projectiles for 3-400 yards would be awesome for your application.

CJG

The 556 DMR is quite a bit more than 2K ( I was told around $2,400)and I don't know if it's out yet. I had one on order for about 6-8 months last year and then cancelled the order and bought something else )and I havn't heard if they have released it...If you hear something let me know. I have the 556 Swat special edition dark earth and I love it....It eats any and all kinds of ammo like an AK but has awesome accuracy..... I have many versions, calibers and types of AR's and the SIG has won me over.....I would be interested in the DMR if and when it comes out.....I'm really impressed with the 16" hammer forged barrel. This weapon is very accurate for a carbine. I mounted a Luepold Mark 4 1.5X 5 MRT lit reticle and I love it......I had an Eotech on it previously and it performed very well as well. Good luck with your search for a 20" or greater..SmokeRolls

How about Bushmaster. They have that Varmint model with a 24" barrel. It comes with a flat top too. Maybe what you are looking for. A store by me is selling them for $1,300 out the door.

The Bushmaster Varminter and Predator are both very accurate and reasonably priced.

I am drinking the piston coolaid right now:) I would say LWRC, POF, LMT piston etc. I love my LWRC. Just to give you an example. I just did Magpul's Advanced Night Shoot Team Tactics course and took both my Noveske N4 14.5 and my LWRC shorty with a AAC-M2000 can on it. Now i can tell you that i love my Noveske but after about 250-300rnds of firing rapidly back to back the bold started to get realy sticky and failing to chamber and i had to break away from the middle of the class to go lube things up.

My LWRC with a supressor shot for the two day class without a single lubrication and never failed. I shot about 1800 rnds for the two days, and about 1200 or so of those rounds were with the LWRC. When the Noveske started to give me those issues i just put it away. I still think the Noveske is a great gun but as long as you maintain and constantly lube things up. With the LWRC, I would shoot 3-4mags back to back and touch the bolt and it is barely warm. Try that with the Noveske and you will leave skin on your bolt. I cant even imagine how much more lubing it would need if i put a can on the Noveske.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AR 5.56 design is flawed. The piston is the answer. </div></div>

HUH? Yes its not a good idea to shit where you eat but damn why fix something that aint broke?

Another resident of Jonestown!
grin.gif

Outsydlooknin75...why fix something that aint broke? [/quote said:
Inovation, moving forward, improvement for the future, etc.

I have staked my life on one of those pieces of shit (thankfully for only a short period of time). I did not like it. I later got to a point where I could use different weapon systems. I liked that alot better.

I know one of the guys that was heavily involved in the development of the HK 416. He saw a void and worked with people to correct it. I give him credit for that. The result is a MUCH improved system.

To me it really comes down to if the weapon will have a suppressor. I own both, piston and non piston ar15's and ar10 style. If your not running a suppressor there is no justification for the extra cost and complexity in regards to the OP. Let keep this thread on track.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me it really comes down to if the weapon will have a suppressor. I own both, piston and non piston ar15's and ar10 style. If your not running a suppressor there is no justification for the extra cost and complexity in regards to the OP. Let keep this thread on track.

CJG </div></div>

I agree with you, but if you read my thread a few up in my case even without a can and ~300rnds of rapid fire my Noveske did start to choke where in the LWRC kept on shooting and it never needed to be lubed up.

just buy a rock river varmint and be done ith it!! very accurate and reliable. 1200 bucks!! lee

Thanks for all the replies. I now have my head spinning with all these options and have read more about these than my brain can handle.
I already have an LWRC M6A1 in 6.8 spc, and the sabr on order. So I am looking for something else.
Looking at the Larue upper brought a thirst for more information. Is it a standard gas system? I thought i read somewhere it was piston driven, but they don't say anything about that on their site so I am assuming it isn't. Larue also says the 20" upper is designed for a rifle length buffer system, it says you need to let them know if you are planning on using a carbine lower. What is the difference?
After looking at the options out of the high end rifles ($2k or more) I like the Larue upper, and like what Sabre defence has, especially the precision marksman.
But, not sure if I want to drop that much coin at the moment, although I am not in a real big hurry, as long as I can have the gun by the end of the year.
As for the lower end I am looking at Rock River upper and lower with a Wylde barrel. If I want a good deal on one I need to make a decision quickly. I also like the Bushmaster varminter, but would probably replace the stock on either of these. At that point I am now in the $1500 range. Then I start to think at this point I could spend the extra money and get exactly what I want. I am sure I will be happy with any of these choices but I will ponder over these forever and have trouble making a decision, which is why I like to here other opinions.
thanks everyone

Accuracy you top priority? White Oak Precision. If you can't wait for a build, call White Oak Armament and see if they can toss you together an upper with their DMR barrel.

Well, I made a decision, didn't take as long as I thought. Going with the Rock River varmint A4. Going to put the SRS sniper stock on it and should be good to go.
Thanks for all the replies and info.

sounds like you made your mind up...they're all bad ass really, but one last chime in, i've got both piston and gas only and if youre planning on putting alot of rounds through these things in between cleanings the piston drive is what you need.

GAP just delivered an 18" upper that they built for me. Bartlein 1-8. Hopefully I will get to shoot it this weekend.
Just another option.

Hope this helps.

Trilogymac

Go with a Rock River A4 Varmint.

I have had one for a few years now and it is just as accurate today as it was when I first bought it.

Why spend an extra $1,000 on something else just for the name when this gun will shoot 1/2 in groups or less from the factory.

The Rock River Varmit is a good weapon. For the dollar, hard to beat. My friend has this weapon and it's a tack driver and he's a hard man to please. (Former marine and expects perfection, actually he demands it. Laugh !) I have been told that the US Navy shooting team is using Rock River Arms. Have fun with the weapon.......SmokeRolls

The reason LaRue wants to know if its going to be on a rifle buffer or a carbine buffer system is so they can put it on whatever lower you are going to use and then test it that way and make sure its doing to function. They have had some pople buty the 20 inch system get it home and put it on a lower with a carbine buffer and tube and it not run. But if you tell them that is what you are going to bput it on they will make sure its going to run before they ship it from the factory.

Go with a Rock River 20" heavy/vatmint, use the extra jack$$$$ for a good optic(at less 14x). Have 1 in this size that covers my wants just fine. And yes for the $$$$ the piston is the new way, but for the rest put lube on your tube's needs and blast away.

Direct Impingement for the win. Save that fancy piston money for ammunition.