• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6.5 die set?

bgavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
I getting started reloading for my 6.5 creedmoor. I bought a rcbs rock chucker supreme and chargemaster lite but need to buy dies still.

My friend is using the rcbs match die set. I really like top loading the bullet in these. Anything others I should consider before I pick up the same set?

Thanks

Redding Competition 3-Die Set. I get the competition shell holders as well.

Other than custom dies, that's the first ones I try to find for any new caliber I get into.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I second the Redding dies. But if that's too much coin, the Hornady match bushing die sets are a great value for the money. They do what my Redding dies do for half the cost

Last edited:
I have the RCBS comp dies i like them but if I had it to do over I buy the Redding’s or forester. I have heard really good things about the Hornadys with the upgraded micrometer, if u are trying save some cash

Just worked this out for my new 6.5 cm barrel (from .308):

Redding S bushing full length die
Redding Nitride Bushing
Redding Competition shell holders
21st Century madrel die and
21st Century Nitride turning arbor mandrel (.002 neck tension)
For seating the Forstner bench rest micrometer seater

Man this is slick.....

Reactions: Baer45
So help a newb out.

What’s better about the Redding?

My friend just started reloading also so we have no clue on equipment other than reading online. We have loaded a couple 100 for his 6.5 doing ladder tests and seating depth but don’t know what we are missing because the rcbs is all we have used.

So help a newb out.

My friend just started reloading also so we have no clue on equipment other than reading online. We have loaded a couple 100 for his 6.5 doing ladder tests and seating depth but don’t know what we are missing because the rcbs is all we have used.

This is not a slight at your intelligence but an honest question to establish your skill level to better understand how to answer you.

Do you understand the concept of bumping the shoulder back 1 thou or 2 aka bump sizing? And do you understand what work hardens brass?

I understand bump sizing.

The hardening of the brass not so much.

Oh no slight taken. I just got into shooting a year ago and never thought I would reload. Well here I am and learning as I go.

Thanks for your help.

I went with the Redding Type S FL Bushing die set with the micro seating die after going through the same decision process as you.
They aren't much more than the RCBS COMP die sets and are about the same price as the the RCBS gold medal die sets but I just feel they are higher quality.
I have a set of the RCBS COMP dies in 308 and really like the seater die with the load port but opted out in favor of the Redding based on the positive feedback for Redding when I asked the same question here awhile back.

Reactions: bgavin
Well first off Redding dies attention to quality is second to none and their cs is top notch as well. Their seating dies are really well made for seating consistently.

With a traditional die using an expander ball, you uneccesarily work the case mouth every reload to sammi minimum spec. You also have no ability to control the amount of neck tension on your bullet. A bushing die like a Redding s die, allows you to control how much the brass is worked so that you only size it down to an amount you determine based on how much tension you want on the bullet. It also allows you to neck turn the brass and use a bushing to fit the new neck diameter to help ensure concentricity from round to round.

Well first off Redding dies attention to quality is second to none and their cs is top notch as well. Their seating dies are really well made for seating consistently.

With a traditional die using an expander ball, you uneccesarily work the case mouth every reload to sammi minimum spec. You also have no ability to control the amount of neck tension on your bullet. A bushing die like a Redding s die, allows you to control how much the brass is worked so that you only size it down to an amount you determine based on how much tension you want on the bullet. It also allows you to neck turn the brass and use a bushing to fit the new neck diameter to help ensure concentricity from round to round.

Thanks for the explanation.

I’ll get the Redding dies ordered. Excited to try some ladder tests on my rifle.

I went with the Redding Type S FL Bushing die set with the micro seating die after going through the same decision process as you.
They aren't much more than the RCBS COMP die sets and are about the same price as the the RCBS gold medal die sets but I just feel they are higher quality.
I have a set of the RCBS COMP dies in 308 and really like the seater die with the load port but opted out in favor of the Redding based on the positive feedback for Redding when I asked the same question here awhile back.

Thanks

So help a newb out.

This topic has come up a lot lately. I absolutely avoid Redding personally. I own probably 15 sets, and I think they’ve gone downhill. Internal finish sucks compared to much cheaper dies.

This is a redding 6.5 cm die. Very typical finish.
9F0AF14C-B499-44B2-94C3-ABD99513EE46.jpeg

This is a Hornady match 6.5 cm die. Uses the same .5 inch wilson/Redding bushings. I had to stick a q-tip in the die to take a picture, because it’s so smooth, it won’t reflect the light back at the camera. This die costs half what the Redding does. Dimensions are perfect for my 6.5 cm reamer.
E4D308A9-8E5F-4F61-AC93-EA098EEEF989.jpeg

This is recently purchased 6mmAR type s bushing die. A wildcat by Robert Whitley. Basically a custom die made by Redding for the cartridge designer. This is a $100 sizer. Looks exactly like the crappy standard 6.5 cm die.

22F9AFE8-7019-4C6D-B087-23D3DC76527E.jpeg

Hornady match 6.5 PRC FL sizer. Great finish, perfectly dimensioned. This was bought on sale at midway for $30.
DD910E12-8389-4444-8CD4-6F40AC0203DB.jpeg

And for comparison sake, here’s a whidden 6xc die. Like the Hornady 6.5cm die, too polished to get a good pic unless there’s something to reflect some light inside.
3EDEF89E-BFBA-44EE-A982-AB116F683AEA.jpeg

The Hornady match and the whidden’s take very little lube, and you can literally FL size, with shoulder bump, with one finger. Not so much with Redding. My days of buying $200 Redding’s sets is over! I have zero affiliation with Hornady.

Just worked this out for my new 6.5 cm barrel (from .308):

Redding S bushing full length die
Redding Nitride Bushing
Redding Competition shell holders
21st Century madrel die and
21st Century Nitride turning arbor mandrel (.002 neck tension)
For seating the Forstner bench rest micrometer seater

Man this is slick.....
How do you incorporate the mandrel die in your loading process? New cases or after sizing?

I enjoy being *that guy*

For the last 10 years or so, I literally use nothing but Lee Precision equipment for presses and dies ?????

I still get just over 1/3 MOA to when I get "the node" in my rifle with my $50 set of 6.5 Creedmoor dies ?. Works for me, but not for anyone else, apparently.

YMMV.

I have Whidden, RCBS, Hornady, and lots of Redding dies. All are capable of producing great ammo, and with all the micrometer types it’s splitting hairs. The largest difference is in cost. Hornady match grade dies produce at least as good or better runout numbers than Redding. (Haven’t compared my new Whidden custom 300 NI dies yet. ) At the end of the day, Hornady is impossible to beat for the money, unless you need a micrometer adjustment style sizing die (which I find unnecessary since you have to measure the brass anyway to ensure proper bump.)

I’ve also heard great things about Lee collet dies, but they just don’t have enough snob factor for me to try out! Lol. :geek:

Classic. It works very well. I ordered undersized neck sizing stems for .002. .003. And .004 neck tension for............ $5 each.

Screenshot_20190209-090347.png

Glad I popped into this thread.... I am looking at 308 and 6.5 CM dies. I want the redding 3 die comps.... but dam the price!

As cool as Whidden, Forster, or Redding Comp Micro dies look... and not to take abything away from them, but the Hornady Match Grade bushing dies just plain work for 70 bucks.

Reactions: Eric1977
Would anyone know off hand if the Hornady match set will work with small primer cases (the decapping pin rather)?

I called Hornady and they sent me small decapping pins for free for my SRP Peterson Creedmoor brass.

With any of the dies, you will need an enlarged bullet seating stem if you are shooting VLD bullets as they will bottom out. I bought the Redding VLD bullet seater optional but found the original worked better after drilling it a little deeper. I always take the seater cup out of any of my seater dies first thing and put the BULLET I want to load in it and if does not sit straight held by the ogive; toss it, correct it and /or look for another option....thousands of RELOADER’s are seating bullets crooked because of this and never know. I use to be one of them...

Its amazing how much info is on this site. I've got the same issue as the OP. THREE years later!

I only need the sizing die because I bought myself a Frankford Arsenal micrometer seating die before I got into 6.5CM

Bought in RCBS set from Cabela's a few weeks ago but I think something nicer to size the brass would be more accurate. That Widden with the click looks awesome but I'm not ready to splash that cash for one die.

M

Reactions: Dough300
Its amazing how much info is on this site. I've got the same issue as the OP. THREE years later!

I only need the sizing die because I bought myself a Frankford Arsenal micrometer seating die before I got into 6.5CM

Bought in RCBS set from Cabela's a few weeks ago but I think something nicer to size the brass would be more accurate. That Widden with the click looks awesome but I'm not ready to splash that cash for one die.

M
The Hide is a library of shooting data. some more info here

The Hide is a library of shooting data. some more info here

Right? I'm constantly amazed that people have already asked and answered so many of the questions I have

It's the reason I seem to be dredging up zombie threads lately

M

I have always used Forester dies with good results. They will also hone a die for you if you send them a few pieces of fired brass. I have done this for my rifles with great results.