• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6/6.5 caliber for someone who can't reload? (details inside)

BGoodwin

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
I'm looking at building a new custom rifle to start shooting PRS matches. I currently have a built .300wm (Defiance Ruckus, Matrix chassis, Kreiger barrel, S&B PMii) that I shoot regularly but I want to get into competitions. I'm trying to decide caliber but the catch is that I can't reload. I live in a major city in a small apartment and I really don't have room for a reloading setup. Now I know the which 6mm/6.5 debates have been done to death; but what 6mm is best for someone who has to rely on factory ammunition? IMO 6 Creedmoor seems like the obvious choice but is there another caliber that is easily available and won't break the bank to buy commercial loads?

6 or 6.5 creedmoor for your off the shelf fags. Now if you ever grow up and buy a press you could load the master race of 6.5s, 6.5x47 lapua that is

6 Creed would be my first choice for PRS.

Another option would be the new 6GT Hornady factory ammo. Put in a big bulk pre-order with GA Precision, enough to burn up a barrel, and order your rifle at the same time. You might end up getting everything all at the same time.

I got into reloading mid last season, I have a 6BR and 6 Creedmoore. 6BR when I can reload and 6 Creedmoore when I have to use factory ammo. Hornady, Federal with 107 SMKs & Federal with 105gr Berger Hybrids all shoot amazing from the 6 cm. Literally no point reloading with the MV,SD & ES I get from Factory ammo. 6GT is another option with new Hornady ammo and will give you better barrel life.

Answered this for myself with 6 Creed. Ordered a barrel and something like 400 rds of Hornady the same day… think the ammo was like $1.25 delivered (and in stock). Shot it out to 1000 this past weekend - clocked a sedate 2940 fps from my rifle with 79 rds down, and shot right to the 4DOF prediction all the way out. The targets would have to be pretty tight before I could blame dropped shots on the ammo.

Reactions: Rob01
Where are you buying 6cm ammo for 1.25$ a round? You mean more like 2$

I don't reload much yet - especially given lack of availability of primers - so I am using 6mm and 6.5mm. My 6mm rifle will shoot Prime and Spark ammo in about a single hole. It doesn't do as well with Hornady match but pretty close. My 6.5mm rifles like Hornady Match 140s a lot.

I miss because I don't shoot at the target (not stable) or wind... not the factory round. The 6mm is so easy in wind compared to my original 308 rifle.

To answer your question, as others have said 6cm is it if you have to use factory ammo. Factory ammo in 6cm can be very accurate.

I'd like to point something out though. What takes so much space is the brass prepp stuff. You can have a scale and single press and load very good ammo and keep it to a 4'x2' section of bench or countertop even. A V3 set up, a FA hand primer, calipers, and a simple press is all you need. With @Dave__th3__ss doing such a precise job of processing brass, and sizing it exactly to your specifications, you really don't have to do the whole thing but can still tune a load to your rifle and load your own. I'd think about that hard if I were you. It's still cheaper than factory ammo too.

For the money involved in prepping brass and annealing it ect.... you can pay for a whole lot of brass prepping to be done. It's also a massive time saver and super nice to just have several hundred cases ready to go whenever you choose. I process my own some but I send him a lot also and it's worked out just awesome for me.

I load for several calibers but I still choose 6cm because it's very accurate and fast while keeping me able to buy a bunch of factory ammo if I want to. (If we can ever do like we used to and buy 500 rounds of Berger ammo then load the lapua brass after shooting it for a reasonable price again, if things get sorted out after Joe's mess).

To answer your question, as others have said 6cm is it if you have to use factory ammo. Factory ammo in 6cm can be very accurate.

I'd like to point something out though. What takes so much space is the brass prepp stuff. You can have a scale and single press and load very good ammo and keep it to a 4'x2' section of bench or countertop even. A V3 set up, a FA hand primer, calipers, and a simple press is all you need. With @Dave__th3__ss doing such a precise job of processing brass, and sizing it exactly to your specifications, you really don't have to do the whole thing but can still tune a load to your rifle and load your own. I'd think about that hard if I were you. It's still cheaper than factory ammo too.

For the money involved in prepping brass and annealing it ect.... you can pay for a whole lot of brass prepping to be done. It's also a massive time saver and super nice to just have several hundred cases ready to go whenever you choose. I process my own some but I send him a lot also and it's worked out just awesome for me.

I load for several calibers but I still choose 6cm because it's very accurate and fast while keeping me able to buy a bunch of factory ammo if I want to. (If we can ever do like we used to and buy 500 rounds of Berger ammo then load the lapua brass after shooting it for a reasonable price again, if things get sorted out after Joe's mess).
thanks for the kind words.

I personally go with 6cm as the ammo is readily available and is cheaper(atleast in my area) for factory rounds. also if you just bought a press(with stand) and powder scale you could pretty much reload at your kitchen table. I do prep alot of brass for several hide members. i do everything to what your specs are. you name the caliber and i can get the prep work done. send the case back spec'd for you chamber. just slap in your components for your load and your good to. shoot , send to me and reapeat . usually a 1-2 day turn around depending on how much brass and if i have family stuff going on (which isnt much ).

something to consider is a small take down reloading setup. factory ammo is good but will never be as good as a hand load

If you've never reloaded ammunition, how do you know how much room is really needed?
Given his situation, I do not believe the neighbors, his landlord, or the city officials would be very pleased or accommodating toward him if something accidentally went boom while he was reloading in a multi-family unit...

Given his situation, I do not believe the neighbors, his landlord, or the city officials would be very pleased or accommodating toward him if something accidentally went boom while he was reloading in a multi-family unit...

Doesn't matter what you or I think.

A. You're assuming it's either illegal, a violation of his lease/rental agreement, or both. I would not bet on that.
B. People in multi family units often store all sorts of flammable materials in their units. But those materials are OK?
C. His concern is space, not criminal or civil liability.

If you've never reloaded ammunition, how do you know how much room is really needed?
Exactly. I have a very small space for reloading. It gets a little tight but it’s not a deterrent in the least. Everything is within arms reach.

Doesn't matter what you or I think.

A. You're assuming it's either illegal, a violation of his lease/rental agreement, or both. I would not bet on that.
B. People in multi family units often store all sorts of flammable materials in their units. But those materials are OK?
C. His concern is space, not criminal or civil liability.
a) Yes, it was an assumption, but one that is probably universally accepted.
b) This is also very true, but very few, if any, of those flammable materials are also explosive.
c) Again true, but if a and b are correct, the required space becomes a moot point.

a) Yes, it was an assumption, but one that is probably universally accepted. By idiots
b) This is also very true, but very few, if any, of those flammable materials are also explosive. Neither smokeless powder nor primers are explosives
c) Again true, but if a and b are correct, the required space becomes a moot point. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle

You should probably apply your signature line to yourself.

You should probably apply your signature line to yourself.
Typical keyboard warrior--resort to name calling when your theory begins to peeter out...Quoted directly from HODGDON's website at https://hodgdon.com/faq-items/general-primer-safety/ with important points highlighted just in case you need a little extra help: "Small arms primers contain an initiating explosive mixture. By design, this explosive is easily initiated by impact energy. Two key safety issues with primers are dusting and mass detonation."

I seems reasonable to think most people (except for the "hold my beer crowd") who reload take the safety of others into consideration when locating and setting up their benches. Here's a report detailing how unexpected small-arm munitions explosions can occur even in professional establishments. https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/investi...ion-lake-city-army-ammunition-plant-explosion

If you want the best 1000yd do all (custom parts but factory ammo) it'll likely come from a 6mm. If you have the access to longer distances up to a mile then 6.5PRC....6.5creed is kind of a "does both well but neither great" kind of thing, but Id guess to buy 2 6mm barrels at once cuz of pi - I have a 6.5creed production rifle and am currently thinking about going 6mm custom - mainly because I dont have access to past 1100yd hardly ever.