• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6Arc barrel?

Superminokla

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2021
Oklahoma
I am looking to build a 6Arc for plinking/ predator/ hog hunting. I have my barrel choices narrowed to Ballistic Advantage or Faxon. Any input would be appreciated.

I am looking to build a 6Arc for plinking/ predator/ hog hunting. I have my barrel choices narrowed to Ballistic Advantage or Faxon. Any input would be appreciated.
Just got back from shooting today. Had an AR 15 out with a BA barrel on it nothing fancy, it has an 18 inch spr profile in 5.56. I had shot it a few times before today but never sat down to see what it could do. Groups at 100 yards looked more like shotgun patterns with imi 77 grainers. I know you asked about a barrel in 6 arc but I think you would be far better off getting a barrel from a known quality barrel maker.
I’m not knocking Faxon or BA, but I do think it is a real crap shoot getting one that shoots vs not. I know BA has a guarantee but I’m really not that upset, I think I paid 120 bucks for it on one of their sales.

If you're on a budget, Six Five Outfitters has 16" and 20" barrels in a tapered profile that's perfect for hunting. At $160 and $170 respectively, I'd put this well ahead of the BA & Faxon barrels.

If you're looking for a more precise rig, you'll want to step up to Craddock Precision - but quality doesn't come cheap at $575 (though I think this is a bargain for what it is):

There are a lot of quality options in between - Criterion, CLE, and more - but I'm not sure I'd consider BA or Faxon in that category.

Last edited:
I built my daughter a 6arc on a ballistic advantage barrel to teach her to shoot(she’s 4..almost 5) but I already have a proof CF sitting on my workbench for it.

It’s not terrible..I mean, it gets the job done..but if it’s your end all be all your eventually going to switch to something else anyways.

I have had luck with;
X-Caliber, Shaw and Odin. I have and have had 6.5 Grendel and 6ARC from these companies. My daughter has the 18 and 21 Odin and has had no problems with them.

I have no experience with T-Box, but my Brother swears by them. My next two will be them. A Grendle and ARC just because lol!!

I considered 6ARC, but the 6mm bullets are too popular and hard to find in stock.

What are you talking about? You don’t have to shoot Berger Hybrids to be effective with this cartridge. I’ve been shooting 105 Scenar-L and 110 A-Tips out to .308WIN distances to great effect, and both of those bullets are readily available.

What are you talking about? You don’t have to shoot Berger Hybrids to be effective with this cartridge. I’ve been shooting 105 Scenar-L and 110 A-Tips out to .308WIN distances to great effect, and both of those bullets are readily available.
Oh, ok.

for $300 i'd try out the wilson combat. Had great luck with their 6.5grendel barrel: https://wilsoncombat.com/barrel-6mm...-stainless-glass-bead-1-7-5-intermediate.html

I'm currently using a BCB/vortakt cut rifled barrel that I got in the PX for less than $300. It shoots well enough and has been fun to try out 6ARC instead of 6.5g. I'm sticking with 6ARC going forward and will likely replace this BCB barrel with a proof CF at some point. They are worth it. Easy button is the proof stainless if you aren't worried about the weight

Reactions: Ronin22
for $300 i'd try out the wilson combat. Had great luck with their 6.5grendel barrel: https://wilsoncombat.com/barrel-6mm...-stainless-glass-bead-1-7-5-intermediate.html

I'm currently using a BCB/vortakt cut rifled barrel that I got in the PX for less than $300. It shoots well enough and has been fun to try out 6ARC instead of 6.5g. I'm sticking with 6ARC going forward and will likely replace this BCB barrel with a proof CF at some point. They are worth it. Easy button is the proof stainless if you aren't worried about the weight
Wilson Combat barrels I have are beautiful in the borescope. The gas ports came incredibly small though. Had to drill them out to get adequate function. When I called and asked about the gas port size I was in essence told I shouldn't be doing my own work on them. Which I obviously thought was weird since they are selling them as parts by which to be built upon.

Edit: Didn’t read and missed the $300 ceiling. I don’t have any experience with 6ARC in that range.

Last edited: