• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6arc for kids?

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
Looking for a 6arc for my kids to hunt with. I have a couple of donor r700 clones, but wondering if just getting a factory rifles and modifying the stock might be just as easy if feeding might be a issues. I would much rather pay for a factory rifle and send it back if it doesn't function since I pretty much have zero free time to take on new projects.

Anyways it'll be a blacktail deer/100-300yd range gun. So lightweight is a priority. As well as mild recoil.

Right now I have a howa mini 6.5grendel without a brake. I've shortened the lop to 12.5" and my 10yo shoots it ok, but my 6yo loves it. My 10yo doesn't like the recoil and gets burned out fast, which isn't good.

Now being in the rainy PNW I'd prefer stainless.

The Christian Arms Scout looks intriguing. What else should I look at?

My son has been shooting the 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform since he was 7 and had success with several deer over the last several years. You could always run it suppressed to help with recoil impulse. You also said you have several 700 clones which would be good for a 6BR build. Easy to load for and very mild recoil.

Reactions: Aescobar17
Yes, the 6arc is almost identical to the 6.5grendel in recoil energy and recoil velocity (pulse).

The issues I have with the grendel I have now is that it's blued steel, rusts easily, and doesn't have a threaded barrel. The stock is also factory and touches the barrel in several spots. Which isn't a deal breaker, since it's accurate enough for what I need.

However I would like to cut my loses before I throw even more money at it.

I would love to do a 6br as I already have plenty of brass and set up to reload for it. However it's still doesn't feed 100%. For a hunting rifle it might be a issue. My 6br is a AT-X which is way to heavy for the boys to hunt with and I would like to keep this rifle sub-6 pounds.

That's why I was drawn to the 6arc in a factory rifle. If it doesn't feed perfect let the factory deal with it. Between a couple of jobs, kids, family obligations, household chores, pets, and livestock I don't have a bunch of free time to tweak things and troubleshoot problems.

One of the reasons why I invested in the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform was that it gave my kids the chance to get behind one comfortably at an earlier age (carbine length buffer tube and stock).

However, I like the idea of the Salvage 110 Tactical in 6 ARC that Rob mentioned in the post above if a bolt action rifle is required. If they made one with a longer barrel I would have bought one. I just already have overlap with 20" Grendels.

I like the looks of those savage rifles. I do have some AR platform rifles, but I feel more comfortable supervising two boys with bolt actions vs a couple of semi auto rifles. Not to mention the extra ammo I would be going thru.

Just do an AR. If you want a bolt gun, then just get a .243 and run reduced power loads or even a 22-250. Either will smoke any deer in NA inside of 300 yards.

NVM saw you are in cucked WA state. Good luck with that. My bro owns the grocery store in beaver about an hour from you. Stop in and give him shit if you are in the area,

I like the looks of those savage rifles. I do have some AR platform rifles, but I feel more comfortable supervising two boys with bolt actions vs a couple of semi auto rifles. Not to mention the extra ammo I would be going thru.

Oh yeah...a hell of a lot of extra ammo :D

WA is a .243"+ for big game. Otherwise I'd just stick to a .223. Honestly I have shot only 2 deer over 150yds with the majority being 40-75yds.

This will essentialy have the same recoil as a 6 arc or any 6mm traveling about 2800. In fact, it may be less since the bullet is lighter. You can buy the cheap bolt gun of your choice, Tikka, Howa, T/C, Ruger Ect and come out ahead. Kids can also grow into it and use full power .243 when they get older.

Looking for a 6arc for my kids to hunt with. I have a couple of donor r700 clones, but wondering if just getting a factory rifles and modifying the stock might be just as easy if feeding might be a issues. I would much rather pay for a factory rifle and send it back if it doesn't function since I pretty much have zero free time to take on new projects.

Anyways it'll be a blacktail deer/100-300yd range gun. So lightweight is a priority. As well as mild recoil.

Right now I have a howa mini 6.5grendel without a brake. I've shortened the lop to 12.5" and my 10yo shoots it ok, but my 6yo loves it. My 10yo doesn't like the recoil and gets burned out fast, which isn't good.

Now being in the rainy PNW I'd prefer stainless.

The Christian Arms Scout looks intriguing. What else should I look at?
Christensen Arms MPR 16.5” 6 ARC… I’m getting right at 2575 FPS MV with Nosler 115 RDF’s and LeverEvolution powder. Pretty solid for a 16.5” barrel.

I'd be weary of 6ARC in a Savage action. I had a 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor and it couldn't even feed or eject a full length cartridge reliably. I sent it back to them a couple times and they did not fix anything either time. Spent a lot of time and money trying to make it reliable. It never was 100%. Buying a Savage you have a 1 in 3 chance of it becoming an ongoing project.

Reactions: diggler1833
I'd be weary of 6ARC in a Savage action. I had a 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor and it couldn't even feed or eject a full length cartridge reliably. I sent it back to them a couple times and they did not fix anything either time. Spent a lot of time and money trying to make it reliable. It never was 100%. Buying a Savage you have a 1 in 3 chance of it becoming an ongoing project.

I'd argue that those are "standard features" on the entire line. 😄 Some have better experiences than others. My 10FP from 20 years ago actually ran fine. My 110 Timberline: Not so much.

However - if you can get them to run - they are hard to beat for the money, and that Accufit stock will accommodate most shooters down to about 5' tall without fudging with the scope placement much.

You could go with an AR and let the carrier impulse eat up some recoil or suppress and stick the Howa in an Elf Owl chassis from JTAC. Great LOP adjustment. All the kids Ive had shoot it have loved it. Not one has ever bitched about the recoil and some small girls have shot it. Its not the lightest thing in the woods tho.

It's a hunting/range gun. Semi-auto's are not a consideration. I have two boys, and sometimes a friend or two. So I cannot honestly keep a close enough eye on the firing line if AR's are being used. Sure if I'm only shooting with 1 kid at a time it's easier, but that's not usually the case. And if it is I already have that area covered.

My two younger kids have no problem shooting my heavier guns in 6.5cm, thru 300wsm. Although he's shot my 338L a couple of times to show off. But I was looking for a lighter option. The howa mini is about the max my 10yo can carry comfortably and sling up kneeling or braced on a tree. So ideally I'd want something lighter that I can get my 6yo going on for shooting positional on the range.

We have the 22lr's covered. The boys get bored easy with them though. My youngest shoots my heavy rifles just fine, but I'm looking for something he can start moving and getting into hunting positional shooting.

20220814_123134.jpg

Reactions: Eo12 and Dirty D
I have a Howa mini action that I have been wanting to rebuild as a 6ARC for a while now but the brass seems to be as obtainable as 7mm PRC brass (unobtainium).

I'd argue that those are "standard features" on the entire line. 😄 Some have better experiences than others. My 10FP from 20 years ago actually ran fine. My 110 Timberline: Not so much.

However - if you can get them to run - they are hard to beat for the money, and that Accufit stock will accommodate most shooters down to about 5' tall without fudging with the scope placement much.
Yeah that 110 was the first and last Savage I'll ever buy. The lack of support for defective product makes it hard to endorse at any price point.

I have a Howa mini action that I have been wanting to rebuild as a 6ARC for a while now but the brass seems to be as obtainable as 7mm PRC brass (unobtainium).
Starline has started shipping brass and I’m getting in stock notifications for Hornady brass. I am using Hornady brass and I am on the 3rd firing, so far so good.

Reactions: Dirty D
Some thoughts for you that might help. I have a couple of the Howa Mini actions in 6.5 Grendel and 223 with the 22” spotter barrels. Both have been very accurate with mild recoil for “Budget” rifles even though they didn’t stay at way.

The 6.5G has been customized with an Obendorf bottom metal and a Pendleton CF stock and weighs in at 6lb 2.9oz with optic. It is loving a 99g Monometal hunting bullet (LFP). Others are getting good success with an 88g LFP which also reduces the recoil.

I’m looking at the MDT LSS chassis for the mini and using a Luth AR MBA-3 but stock for the 223. Except for the caliber, this might fit your needs, especially if you start with a barreled action from Brownells.

I think overall I like the Howa grendel. I picked up a MDT Oryx youth chassis but it added way to much weight so I shortened the factory Tupperware stock and put it back on. My biggest problem with it is that it wants to rust so damn fast. It's mostly my issue, since it may get thrown into a corner of the safe after a range trip for a couple days before I can get to cleaning and oiling it. I rather go stainless for the next one.

Reactions: Modoc