• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6mm? ......243win / 6mmBR / 6x47 Lap

seddo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Gippsland, Australia
Hi guys,

I have decided to rebarrel my Win 670, it is currently a 22" sporter barrel 243win. I am fitting a 18-20" varmint profile barrel. A smith has reccomended i consider 6mmBR & 6x47Lap over 243win. His points were the 243 has high barrel ware and the other 2 have a smaller case capacity which will work well out of the shorter barrel. I have done some research on the 3 rounds and all the numbers make sence to go with 6mmBR or 6x47 lap but is it worth the extra effort over the 243?

What i can see is:
6x47lap has a higher cost of dies/cases and need to be formed
6mmBR isnt the best to feed out of a AI mag
243 is cheap to run but uses more powder

The rifle will be used at a max of 500m with most shots int eh 200-300m range with 75-87gr projies.

Any opinions?????

Seddo

Re: Which 6mm? ......243win / 6mmBR / 6x47 Lap

I have a 6mm dasher that feeds fine out of aics mags, and it fed fine when I was fireforming the 6mmbr's also. if you are only shooting to 500yds go with teh 6mmbr they are scary accurate easy on barrels no recoil and eat very little powder.

the 6x47 is great also but alittle more expensive to shoot with little gain over the 6mmbr is max distance is 500yds. if for some reason you haven't checked out 6mmbr.com give it a look their is a crazy amount of info on all 3

Check out the 6XC maybe this would sit your needs. Bullets and brass from Superior Shooting Systems (David Tubb). Easy to load for. Pick your twist rate for the heaviest bullet you think you may want to shoot and your good to go.

Keep it simple...shoot a 6MMBR

Have been shooting a 6 Dasher from AI mags for a while and they feed fine. Any of the above will be a good choice. I'd go with at least an 8 twist if not a 7.5, those 105 class bullets are hard to beat.

If you’re staying at 500 and under I think it would be very hard to go wrong with the 6mm br. There are plenty of magazine mods out there that can make them feed more reliably. However, I think 6 XC comes in a very close second, especially if you ever happen to venture out a bit further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6mm dasher that feeds fine out of aics mags, and it fed fine when I was fireforming the 6mmbr's also.</div></div>

What did you have to do to make this work?

I have a 22BR I'd love to feed from AICS magazines.

I did nothing to the mags, i only use 5rd mags and i push the follower with my finger tip after loading each mag to make sure it is level and it works perfect. I load them all the way to the back and it works great.

Logans8thBD005.jpg

Logans8thBD006.jpg

A look at the 6XC in a 5 round AI mag...105gr scenar @ 2.695" Never had a miss feed..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">105gr scenar @ 2.695" </div></div>

Ah, yeah, my 22BR is more like ~2.21".

Seating way out wont be a problem for you when the throat starts to go.....grin!

Well its competition time (for us over here) and i cannot find brass once again. I love the 6x47, but when im out of brass its getting a new barrel. If i cant go to the local ma and pop gun store and buy brass im not shooting it for comps anymore.

Choose your brass, bullet, primers AND powder wisely.....

got any 105 vld's
smile.gif

Reactions: Lucky1

I think if you want to feed from AI mags the 6x47L will mean no mag mods etc..................just a pain in the ass there is no correctly headstamped brass.

glen you just need to buy a shit ton of brass when available that way it is all the same lot and you don't have to worry about running out. I think powder valley has 105 vlds currently. I have some 108 bergers if that helps.

Inexpensive components, proven accuracy, and a phenomenal all around cartridge. Winner is .243

Thanks guys,

I will test the 6mm BR in a 5 & 10 round mags and see how it goes. I cant get my 22-250 to feed from a standard 10 round mag but it hasnt missed a beat in the 5 rounder.

If i want to get past 500m i can use a 260 or 308. i am building this 6mm because i dont have one and i have an winchester action sitting around doing nothing. My goal for this rifle is to be able to shoot the 12" plate at 500m with the shortest possible (and legal) barrel and have enough energy to drop a kangaroo at 300m.

Seddo,

I am going to do a 6x47 Lapua mate, I went through the same stuff as you I wanted a 6mm easier on barrels than a .243 but also able to feed through a mag. The 6mm BR CAN feed when set up right but I wanted a sure thing as far as feeding went so I took the the 6x47 lap route. I also shoot a 6.5x47 lap so I have some cases kicking around (thats a round I really like by the way!!)

Seddo, the 6mmbr Norma will take you out way past 500 with no problem when running the 105's. I've used mine to out perform many 308's at 600 every Thursday for a year now. It also holds its own at 1000 as well.

The only complaint seen on the 243WIN is barrel life and seating length to a lesser extent. I'd rather rebarrel a little more often and know I have a tried and true cartridge good for just about anything: match, tactical, hunting. Heard great things about all the other cartridges, but I am KISS person and have no desire to tinker at the margins with other cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got any 105 vld's
smile.gif
</div></div>

Hey Glen, if it will help get my WSM bottom metal to Harold any time soon I'll send you a box.
wink.gif

My vote goes to the 243......Ackley, of course!

243 hands down.

Less pressure than the 6x47, components are easier to find and less expensive than any of the others, and frankly outperforms the others out and past 1K yards. 6.5 mil to 1K with my 243.

And the barrel life rumor is BS. You can easily get past 2000-2500 rounds with a 243. Many here have already done it.

The only smart decision is the 243.

Contact Joe Hendrix over on usrifleteams.com. He goes by joesr on there. He has some tricks for getting more barrel life out of a slightly modified 243 case that will also work with a standard 243 case. Folks here are too interested in ringing the max velocity out of everything to even think of considering giving up 100 FPS to extend the barrel life. Hoser on this site is using his techniques with good results so far.