• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6x36 Zeiss S3 or Vortex Razor III

Stoweit

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2017
    New England
    Anyone used or tried both of these, building a 22LR and trying to chose. There is no where to try one locally, so going blind on this one. I would love hear opinions. Thanks in advance.

Tough choice. I am not sure how close-in you are shooting, but we had sold quite a few NF ATACR 7-35x for airgun and rimfire at very short distances, due to the 10m low parallax setting, but both of these scopes also have that 10m setting.

I have shot from all three, and probably favor the Nightforce, but I have to always ask is it real, or is it my bias and how the scope feels. I do believe Nightforce has a small edge. Then Vortex Gen III-HD has challenged that significantly, as has S&B 6-36x, and the ZCO 8-40x.

But, back to your two, consider that the S5 is one of the best scopes optically on the market in that range class. The S3 does not have the same level of coating and polishing, but using the same lens. Now, the Razor is the best of what Vortex offers. I cannot tell the difference between the two. I do see a difference in chromatic cleanness in the Nightforce and the S5, but only at extreme distances, and stark white targets. The blades of grass look the same.

I would look at the reticles and see which you like best, as I do not think you are going to notice any difference in the image.

there are quite a few razor gen 3 in new england to peak through

the zeiss S3...i don't know of any

that being said i just swapped a razor gen 3 for a zeiss S5. it's a big step up if you don't mind its oddities

the zeiss reticle is interesting/different. inside 2 mil especially it's a phenomenal design. the tree is meh but most are. the mil reticle would be really really good if it were just a Mil-C/JTAC style

if illumination matters the zeiss is stupid bright

Yup have had both and was just at the range the other day with both side by side. Glass is pretty much the same in the two. Had another member there Saturday with his Gen 3 and even he said they looked the same. As mentioned look at the reticles and see what looks best for you. The Zeiss is a nice reticle. It has 12 mils of hold over. Take a look and see which you like.

Are you LE/Mil? If you can get on expert voice you can get a great deal on the Zeiss.

IMG_3247 (2).jpg

Anyone used or tried both of these, building a 22LR and trying to chose. There is no where to try one locally, so going blind on this one. I would love hear opinions. Thanks in advance.
    Zeiss... Both scopes are built at LOW using ELD glass. Personally, I think the Zeiss will be of better quality, while the Vortex will probably have the easiest time with a warranty claim (should you need it). And this is coming from a guy who owns a bunch of Vortex scopes, and a bunch of Zeiss scopes. Personally, I'd go Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 MIL. 👍🏼

Reactions: Stoweit
    Thanks to all who replied. Rob01 did the sun shade come with Zeiss?
    Unfortunately Zeiss doesn't offer their scopes with the sunshade, they have to be purchased separately. But they're only like $40. Not bad. I had to buy sunshades for all 3 of my new V4 6-24x50 scopes on my main hunting rifles.

Thanks to all who replied. Rob01 did the sun shade come with Zeiss?

Yup you did have to buy it separate. Not overly expensive but if you wanted it is an additional charge.

Are you on expertvoice?

Gen 3 razor has much better glass than the S3. I would put it comparable with the S5. Was not impressed at the 2 S3 I looked through.

100% the razor, especialy at the Cert/EO price.

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ
    I would not say much better at all. If anything the S3 was a hair better but I just called them the same in our comparison.

And if he can go Expertvoice it’s well below the cert price for the Vortex.

The S3 reminded me of the Leica PRS. Glass not as good as their reputation and funky turrets. I still think the razor is a much better and proven optic.

Going from the ZCO to the S3, it really showed the short comings.

Never used a Leica but not what Gary or I saw in the Razor to Zeiss comparison. Had his ZCO out there and you could see it was a little better than both as far as glass but also a good deal more money.

The S3 reminded me of the Leica PRS. Glass not as good as their reputation and funky turrets. I still think the razor is a much better and proven optic.

Going from the ZCO to the S3, it really showed the short comings.

What’s funky about the turrets?

I would not say much better at all. If anything the S3 was a hair better but I just called them the same in our comparison.

And if he can go Expertvoice it’s well below the cert price for the Vortex.

I see Vortex apparel, but don't see the optics. But they're still on EV?