• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing which 7 mm for nutria?

bob7-08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
EU
Hello ,

the varmint i shot the most is nutria,to do the job i currently use a 7-08 with 168 smk;
the only issue is when i shot it at closer range(less than 130 meters)the bullets go through them and they take a long time to die if i don't shot it again.
i didn't have this problem at longer ranges.

my bullet speed is 770 ms at 15°c.
what do you think of it,do i need a slower reload for close range or maybe a sierra game king may work better ?

thank you

Re: which 7 mm for nutria?

You could always run the 110 Grain Speer TNT varmint bullets also. Either way a light varmint bullet out of a 7mm should do some damage to those nasty mammals.

As is usually the case, shot placement is gonna be the only way to guarantee a quick kill with any caliber, pushing any bullet. That being said, I think 168 grains is a little more than you need for nutria. I'd give the 120 gr V-Max a try. The Gamekings are gonna expand even less than the SMK and for a critter that small, I'd lean towards a bullet that will dump as much of it's energy in as short of a distance as possible.

About 42-46gns of Viht N140 and either a Sierra 120 Pro Hunter for a good/impressive wound channel, or the same with a 120 V-Max for flying body parts. That should get that big ratty bastard's attention.