• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which 700 SPS Tactical for Alaska snowmobile rig?

1975CJ5

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Wasilla Alaska
Just put a SPS Tactical 20" 223 on layaway, plan on using it as my snowmobile rifle this winter. I plan on using it on coyotes, and fox and the occasional wolf it the opportunity would arise. Seems to be a solid, accurate as all hell out of the box rifle and really compact and highly maneuverable rifle for taking on the bush plane and snowmachine. It's gonna ride along w/ me on my sled out to my remote property where there is a high chance of getting some long shots on the frozen rivers and lakes at some canine predators. Thinking that about 300 yds will be my usual max range w/ a 223. Looking for some input on what you 223 varmint hunters think. I think that as long as I have good ammo and use right shot placement that the 223 will fit the bill for a 100 lb canine. What's your favorite ammo on coyotes, wolves? Got a 308V also but the 223 tactical just seems like a better suiter. Or should I consider the 308 Tactical for more knock down power?
Thanks

Re: Which 700 SPS Tactical for Alaska snowmobile rig?

I think the 223 will work fine. Since it is a SPS Tactical, it should have a 9 twist barrel, so you should be able to shoot the heavier bullets. Do you reload? If so, I would try to shoot the 75gr Amax in it.

A .223 would likely do you fine, but a 308 opens up a couple more options. I like options...just saying.

BJ:
I used several 223 AR's on snowmobiles, atvs, argos and carried them on my back and they do OK in some very crappy conditions. I don't hunt fox here and the coyotes are few are far between but do like the challange of wolves. Had one instance where the 223 didn't impress me and it cost me a lot of cash as I ended up with a 6.5 Grendel, 6MMWOA, 6.8 SPC all on the AR15 platform and a 260 in a AR10. With proper shot placement at the ranges you mentioned I think you will be fine but it will take a very good wolf to do 100lbs on a scale.
You will find the biggest challange of wolf calling to get within calling distance of them without them knowing you are there. Ive tried the extra mufflers etc but there are even times when the crunch of walking on the snow makes it difficult. Specifically targeting wolves on foot without a plane or vehicle is truly fair chase.

If its just k9s id say the 223 will be fine just hope you dont run into anything bigger? my sps tactical in 223 loves 75gr bthp hornady's

UgashikBob, what area do you hunt in, was hoping a sourdough like you would chime in. I think he SPS Tactical too will serve me well. I like the fact that the Tactical 20" model has the 1/9 twist barrel for heavier 223 bullets unlike the standard SPS Varmint. Chances of getting a wolf are slim, and a 100 lb one would be a big one for sure. If I find out the hard way that the 223 isn't the snowmobile go to rifle I'll carry my SPS varmint in 308. What factory heavy loads do you guys think would fire good out of this rifle? Anyone have luck w/ Remington Core Loks? Pretty much my favorite factory hunting loads.

BJ:
I hunt in my backyard at the Outlet of Lower Ugashik Lake. I've carried my AR's in some very demanding conditions and spent a lot of hours sitting in snow banks and have only been disappointed once where I thought a wolf should of went down with a 223 and didn't. Can't help much on the factory rounds as I shoot all reloads.

I hunt with a AR for fur, the problem is with fox, you hit them with 556, there is nothing left. A 308 would be worse. The best rifle for fur up here is a 17 Remington. Hit a yot, wolf or a fox, the just dump.

What scope do you gentlemen use on your these K9 rigs?

I used to use core-Lokts on deer before I started reloading. I just am not that impressed with them since reloading opened up the possibility of better bullets within a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong the terminal performance is fine, but the accuracy isn't there. I have tried reloading them, and they just don't shoot as straight as I like. I really don't know much about factory loads anymore, but from my experience it can be hard to get the core-lokt bullets to shoot straight at 300 yards.

ive tried ballistic silvertips in 55gr about an inch group if lucky 63 grn amax from black hills less than an inch but not touching finally i tried 75grn bthp hornady match .5moa and less havnt tried em on game yet tho

Looks like I need to go bullet shopping, Hornady looks like it's got a good rep for a heavy dependable bullet.