• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which ACOG for M1A Scout?

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
Hello all, I'm hoping to get suggestions on which ACOG would be best for use with my new Springfield M1A Scout. The Scout has an 18" barrel, and I'll be shooting FGMM 168 grain ammo.

I know that none of the ACOG BDC's will be exactly right for this barrel length and ammo, but "close enough" will work. This isn't so much for paper target shooting, I'm mostly looking for something that gets me in the 300-400 yard range with reasonable accuracy and great durability. In other words, MoZ (minute of zombie) is accurate enough, I'm not expecting miracles out of my rifle platform.

I've owned a number of scopes over the years, and I'm pretty set on an ACOG. The BAC reticle models would be OK, but are not a priority for me, since the bindon aiming concept doesn't work for me, being a cross-eye dominant shooter.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Which ACOG for M1A Scout?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No go on a scout mount </div></div>

Sorry, that was my mistake for not clarifying. The rifle model is a Scout but I have removed the Scout rail on the barrel and installed a regular handguard. The ACOG will be mounted to a receiver mount such as the DSA, SEI, or ARMS.

Best bet is to use a purpose made M14 ACOG mount made by Smith Enterprise. It's an NSN piece. It'll put the acog back closer to the eye and keep it as low as you can possibly go. GDI also makes a mount for the ACOG on the M14, but it allows the use of the iron sights through a tunnel in the mount, this correspondingly lifts the ACOG to a pretty high position requiring a large cheek pad (annoyingly high for me). The SEI mount will only require an average cheek pad. Here's the ta33, ta01 (not recommended due to short eye relief) and the ta11 on the sei mount. ta11 is pretty heavy. ta33 is probably your best bet, though the eye relief on it is <span style="font-style: italic">just barely</span> usable. ta11 you have a little more room if I recall correctly. But the ta33 is fine for shooters who position their cheek forward on the stock.
ta33ta01ta11.jpg

I currently have a ta33g-12 which is a .308 crosshair reticle (going on an 18 inch m1a in a sage ebr mod 1 stock). I use to have a ta11 but never got a chance to shoot it. Here is your other option. Use an arms 18 mount then use a GDI R-COM mount that will put the acog back further like the sei mount. Bonus is you will have a quick detach capability for irons. Here's the kicker, I don't know if the GDI mount will get in the way of shell extraction. Check the picture.

I say all this and I might end up selling the ta33a-12 and go with a leupold mk4. Just don't know at this point. Anyway, hope this helps.

m1agdiclose.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xk319</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Best bet is to use a purpose made M14 ACOG mount made by Smith Enterprise. It's an NSN piece. It'll put the acog back closer to the eye and keep it as low as you can possibly go. GDI also makes a mount for the ACOG on the M14, but it allows the use of the iron sights through a tunnel in the mount, this correspondingly lifts the ACOG to a pretty high position requiring a large cheek pad (annoyingly high for me). The SEI mount will only require an average cheek pad. Here's the ta33, ta01 (not recommended due to short eye relief) and the ta11 on the sei mount. ta11 is pretty heavy. ta33 is probably your best bet, though the eye relief on it is <span style="font-style: italic">just barely</span> usable. ta11 you have a little more room if I recall correctly. But the ta33 is fine for shooters who position their cheek forward on the stock.
ta33ta01ta11.jpg

I currently have a ta33g-12 which is a .308 crosshair reticle (going on an 18 inch m1a in a sage ebr mod 1 stock). I use to have a ta11 but never got a chance to shoot it. Here is your other option. Use an arms 18 mount then use a GDI R-COM mount that will put the acog back further like the sei mount. Bonus is you will have a quick detach capability for irons. Here's the kicker, I don't know if the GDI mount will get in the way of shell extraction. Check the picture.

I say all this and I might end up selling the ta33a-12 and go with a leupold mk4. Just don't know at this point. Anyway, hope this helps.

</div></div>

Thanks for the great info. After reading up on those models, the TA11-308 is pretty appealing. I see that it's the heaviest, but also has the best eye relief (2.4"), at almost an inch longer than the TA01.

I appreciate the comparison photos of the mounts. That ARMS18/ GDI combo looks nice and low, but if shell extraction is an issue I'd pass. I looked at the GDI mount and compared it to the Smith Ent. ACOG mount and I really don't see the height difference, but then I've only seen both in pictures. The GDI one, at least from the description, uses the ACOG's tunnel as the iron sight tunnel, because it sits low enough on the rifle to do so. From that description the GDI would seem to be lower than the Smith mount in your photos... In fact it sits so low that it requires two screws on the sides of the stripper clip slot instead of the one in the middle because the ACOG sits down where the middle screw would be on an ARMS or SEI mount.

-Edited to add: I'm a moron. I went back and checked out the GDI mount again and you're correct, the iron sight tunnel is below the ACOG "tunnel"...so it does sit higher as you said. The Smith mount looks like the best option.

Found a good pic of the gdi mount with ta11. Can see just a little too tall for my liking. It's not much, maybe a centimeter taller, but at that height it's crossed the line for me.

100_3035.jpg