• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which action for new build?

scubapro187

Chew
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Helena, MT
The time has come for me to build a new rifle. I've decided on the 7mm Rem Mag for the caliber so far. I also know that I want it sitting in an A5 stock. My question is simple: What action to use for the rifle?

I already have a 700 in .308 that is sitting in an HTG stock that I like a lot but I figured maybe try something new this time. So I'm considering some other options and they go in this order: Winchester model 70 or a Sako (either 75 or A7). Yes I know about the Savage and have had them in the past but I can't get over how ugly that thing is. The thing that is holding me back on the Sako is that I'm concerned it may be difficult to find smiths willing to work on it.

What are your thoughts? Should I just stick with a tried and true 700, keep in mind I'm on a budget so any off the wall custom actions are not an option.

Re: Which action for new build?

CHEW,

Have you cycled a Tikka T3 yet?

They are way slicker than the standard American 700,70,77,Howa actions.Yes you will have to find a smith that does metric threading.

I might be selling some of my other bolt rifles and starting over with Tikka for custom builds.

Steve

Yes I have worked with a few Tikka's, there actions are as smooth as butter. The problem I have with them is I can't get a Tikka in a McM A5 (to the best of my knowledge).

I think I have opened up my eye's to looking at the Howa 1500 action as well. The Howa looks to be a nice setup for the money.

I'm not giving my opinion one way or the other, but I am curious. Unless you simply have your heart set on a 75 build, the price of that auction is not too far from the price of a new action. Very close to Stiller, a little more than half to a Surgeon. Can't say about your stock option with these actions, but you won't be able to use that SA .308 700 you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not giving my opinion one way or the other, but I am curious. Unless you simply have your heart set on a 75 build, the price of that auction is not too far from the price of a new action. Very close to Stiller, a little more than half to a Surgeon. Can't say about your stock option with these actions, but you won't be able to use that SA .308 700 you have. </div></div>

Agreed! Chew,try to buy something used in the $400-$500 range otherwise you might as well get a custom action.

Steve

Thanks for the input I went to the local shops today and had some looks. I saw a Tikka T3 SS in 7mm Rem Mag that I couldn't pass up so I brought her home with me.