• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which action for working gun??

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
Gonna be rounding up parts for another build and was thinking about which action to use , I've fondeled the hell out of the Badger M2008 action and realy liked it , very heavy and rubust but I've never used one on a completed gun so I can't say how whell they cycle rounds. I used a couple Surgen actioned rifles and they are awsome I've owned two Phoenix Machine actioned rifles and while they shout amazing they were a little on the tight side for a reliable working gun . I've been thinking about a couple other action also , the Bat repeater , they will make it to what ever bolt clearance you want , I realy like the fact that they use 17-4 steel and I've never shot a "finer" action though it was built for BR and varmints.

So I guess what its boiling down to is the Surgen and Badger , the Surgen is a bit more expensive and has more bolt lift , but its a tried and proven desgine. The Badger is a bit more limited to the stock options also though I'll likely be usig the Manner T4 anyway (maybe Terry Cross's stock will work). I'm not gonn be hanging a huge barrel off of it , maybe a m40 conture cut back to 18-20" so saying that one is so uch more stiff that the other.

So for any of you guys that have been able to compair any of these actions please offer up your two cents.
Any gunbuilders out their feel free to offer up your oppinion here or via PM if you want to keep is quiet.

Re: Which action for working gun??

Hell i'm thinkin of building off of a Badger. ??? Thought a Badger will fit in a 700 inlet?!?

it can be made to fit but it won't be as clean as the rem action , the Badger is a big blovky beast , like somthing that was taken off of a tank.
here are some pics I found of a Badger action that was fitted to a stock that had been inletted for a Rem 700.
4.jpg

3.jpg

Looks good. Read on Badger's site and they said it'd fit. Hopefully I won't have issues with it in a AICS stock. JJ, buy a chunk of steel! Who care what the weight is. Think about it... if u ever run out of rounds u can always beat em over the head with it!

J.

If I were to build a working rifle, it'd be on either the Surgeon Repeating or RSR Receivers. Can’t go wrong with either.

I'm taking working rifle as an LE, Military or Contractor Rifle.

I completly forgot about the RSR recievers from Surgen , Roscoe , have you built any thing on these? I like the idea of the added 37% of threads on the regular surgen but I realy don't think its needed if your not hanging a truck axle off the thing.

As a working gun yes I was talking about LE and contractor work , their are alot of bone stock factory gun in this line of work that run no problem I'm just a believer that its best to try to eliminate as many possible problems as you can.
in all honesty this rifle will likely see very limited fied use more at the rnage and maybe hunting but just incase the NASA decides to make more cutbacks it could go from a toy to a tool.

I built one for Hide member Chris Sommers. He shot a .212" right out of the box with it at 100 yards and a 1.008" five shot at 300 yards. The RSR's are a great receiver and a big bang for the buck. They're the same quality as the other receiver and the bolts innerchange between the two.

Man i was going to suggest the surgeon round action. I really like mine!!! Good call there Roscoe!! Lee

JJ, the surgeon round is sweet, closes like a super smooth bank vault. Im still waiting on mine from Nathan but if you want pictures of the base action let me know and I can post them.

I know it doesnt have the built in rail but it attaches with 4 8x36 screws and two 1/8" pins as well as a lug for the receiver opening. I kind of doubt it gets anymore solid than that. The recoil lug is seperate but it also comes prefitted with two pins. Not sure if the lug needs to be ground or not
smile.gif

Sounds good guys , if it uses the same bolt as the bigger one piece unit then it only stands to reason that the internal fit and finish would be the same , not since in making a new program for the EDM to make a "less desirable" part.

Well I guess I'll started getting a map of what I'd like this thing to be and start ordering parts in a couple weeks.

I have a Badger and a Surgeon built by Terry Cross. I think either one would work for a working rifle.
smile.gif
Sense that is what they were built for.
I am more of a fan of the badger just because I like the feel of it better. I have never used a Surgeon RSR but I would bet that they are just as good as the rest of surgeons stuff.

L.

the rifle that wnroscoe built for Chris Sommers is in the for sale section. Guess the poor guy has fallen on hard times unexpectantly.

Mac