• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which action should I buy?

Rarebreed93

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
Help me decide which action I should buy for a .308 build.

Can't add the Surgeon to the list but it is in the running to be considered.

Re: Which action should I buy?

I am assuming that you are wanting to build a short action repeater for tactical competition and not a benchrest or Palma rifle, correct?

GAP actions are made by Defiance. As far as I know you can only buy a Templar with a built rifle by GAP.

Templar...but Defiance machines it for them to their specs, so, Defiance/Templar. I've never owned one, but have finger popped a couple and like anything coming out of George and crew, first rate work.

That is correct.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> Templar...but Defiance machines them.

Yes, I know that.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> No love for Surgeon?
Never owned a Gap buid,,,,If I send my barrel, the Surgeon is not available, I think.

I'd also go with the Surgeon 591R. GAP can get one for you. I purchased my 591 through GAP and I sent them the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for Surgeon? </div></div>

+1

My Stiller has served me well, very good action. I'm also a fan of the Surgeon actions. Haven't played with the others much.

Not in the list, but I would go with a SURGEON action.

I have looked into this also. The defiance and surgeon look very nice. However, my Remington 700's have always been 100%. IMO, the 700 would be a good choice and leave you with $500-$1000 that can be put into additional work/glass. Its also very easy to get spare parts (springs, extractors, ejectors, pins) for the 700. I dont own any of the other actions listed so I cant comment on whether they are worth the extra coin or not.

Wareeagle700,

If you want a custom rifle, you probabbly want the Rem700 action worked (trued etc) and it will seat you back around U$250,00, a pinned recoil lug (around U$90,00), a 20 MOA base (around U$100-150,00) plus the cost of the action (around U$600,00) and you are arriving at the cost of a 591 SURGEON action (that gives you integral base and recoil lug, plus the side release bolt button) and way over the RSR SURGEON action.

And the Rem700 parts will work on SURGEON actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.
Wareeagle700,

If you want a custom rifle, you probabbly want the Rem700 action worked (trued etc) and it will seat you back around U$250,00, a pinned recoil lug (around U$90,00), a 20 MOA base (around U$100-150,00) plus the cost of the action (around U$600,00) and you are arriving at the cost of a 591 SURGEON action (that gives you integral base and recoil lug, plus the side release bolt button) and way over the RSR SURGEON action.

And the Rem700 parts will work on SURGEON actions. </div></div>

True. I forget about some people having to pay for the work being done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.
Wareeagle700,

And the Rem700 parts will work on SURGEON actions. </div></div>

Very true, but if you have a R700 action to begin with (like I did) it saves good money...

had I really known what I was doing from the beginning, I would have probably gotten a stiller action and be done with it.

but I have a R700 on hand with 20moa base, etc etc, so it makes more sense for me to work what I have as it's cost friendly.

but since you're looking to buying one, I'd say striller.

BUTTTT, I love when a rifle has been touched by a reputable gunsmith, it has that 'magic' touch and has been hand crafted. I think that can't be beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for Surgeon? </div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+2

There is no definative answer to your question, that is why all of these companies are still in business. The only way you will know what works for YOU, is to get plenty of trigger time. Then you will learn what flavors you like and don't like.

They are all first rate. Just pick one that has the features YOU want and need. Having done a, buy a rem donor rifle and have it trued worked over etc, I am forever dissuaded from ever doing it again. Now if I just happened to have a 700 laying around I wasn't using, that's different. But for a scratch build, just go custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all first rate. Just pick one that has the features YOU want and need. Having done a, buy a rem donor rifle and have it trued worked over etc, I am forever dissuaded from ever doing it again. Now if I just happened to have a 700 laying around I wasn't using, that's different. But for a scratch build, just go custom. </div></div>

My next rifle (even though I'm not a fan of having more than 1 category of rifle) it will be a custom action.

Perhaps a short barrel canned .308 with a stiller action and aics 2.0

Should ne nice and compact yet accurate and deadly.

Anyways lol, yeah if you don't have the rifle yet, get a custom. But if you have a r700, build on it.

Let me just add one thing though. I didn't see your intentions for the rifle, but I can tell you that a stock Remington 700 action is making kills at 1000 yards overseas. So it's very capable to begin with. A used r700 rifle can be had for less than 300. I bought mine for 300 bucks. The only thing left from it is the action and bolt, but for 300 bucks and a truing, it still cost me less than a custom action.

With a stock r700 barrel, you can still do sub moa if you do your part.

+1 for defiance actions. I just picked mine up and its a work of art. They have excellent customer service as well.

i like my not a bad action on the list i like my stillers a lot though.

I like Surgeon and signature built Defiance built actions...Gap, Louisiana Precision Rifles, etc. That said I have a nice rifle built on a trued 700....already had the action and the it had some sentimental value, too. The 700 trued is a nice platform for accuracy but the rifles I have on custom actions are smoother and nicer to operate.

Call Mike at Underground Skunkworks. Their actions have features above and beyond the "usual" suspects.

Take my opinion for what its worth, but bear in mind I just got a Surgeon 591 in hand last week......

GAP Templar action and Bartlein barrel. They figured out how to make this combo work and guarantee it!!! Mine is very smooth.

Surgeon or GAP Templar. The Templar is absolutely one of the smoothest actions I have cycled. However, since it is made by Defiance, I would imagine that any action coming from them is going to be the same way.

If you are not above a factory action I would take a look at the FN SPR action. Since I have been using one I have grown very fond of them. Mine has been both very accurate and dead reliable. In my opinion they present a very attractive set of features for a tactical field rifle.

I must also say that I have never had a problem with a Rem 700 either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Horn! </div></div>

That's another one I would vote for.

I have a UGSW action (built on contract by Defiance) and a BigHorn.

They're both excellent.

I would call Mark Gordon, Short Action Customs, he is building my rifle with his custom action. Very smooth and his work speaks for itself. I believe Defiance is making his action (his specs)for him.

I own a defiance Action. I like it a lot. I'm sure you would be happy with one.

Surgeons are very nice, to shoot, and to build on, because everything is done, unlike a remington that has to be blueprinted.

I would look for the actions that have the features you like and then ask your smith which of those he prefers.
If i had to use a r700/clone i would want :
aiaw magwell
pinned recoil lug
pinned rail
and i would have the smith true it no matter who it came from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are not above a factory action I would take a look at the FN SPR action. Since I have been using one I have grown very fond of them. Mine has been both very accurate and dead reliable. In my opinion they present a very attractive set of features for a tactical field rifle.

I must also say that I have never had a problem with a Rem 700 either. </div></div>

I love the SPR action. I have an A3G and am building a 260. Closes like a bank vault, and CRF of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ford.

No, wait, Chevy.</div></div>

I like Fords, but my vote is for a Stiller action.

Every BAT action I have ever run has been buttery smooth. They take the majority of the benchrest world. I have been using them on my tactical / hunting stuff with excellent results. Some of the actions I have had the tolerances opened up "a tad", and others I have ran stock from BAT. I have NEVER had an issue with grit jamming up the action, even in hunting scenarios. Now dragging it through the the sand or mud with action open will cause problems, but how often are you actually going to be worried about getting the action that dirty.

PS I also had my BAT actions Cerakoted, as well as the bolt flutes, with no problems at all.

I'm looking for a custom action for a new rifle too, so I've been following this thread,
I have a question:

Why do the 2 most popular actions in the poll, Stiller and Templar, share the same Sako extractor problem?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1952745

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2677509

I was considering the Stiller because my new Templar action has banged up the windage knob on my NF scope after about 50 rounds, but after reading a few posts it looks like the Stiller shares the problem.