• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which AK in 7.62x39?

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
Looking at the Zastava ZPAP M 70 and Kalashnikov USA KR103. Any body have experience with the 2 models or other recommendations? I have a milled receiver Bulgarian looking to add another and one a little lighter.
Thanks

Looking at the Zastava ZPAP M 70 and Kalashnikov USA KR103. Any body have experience with the 2 models or other recommendations? I have a milled receiver Bulgarian looking to add another and one a little lighter.
Thanks
I like the look of the Kalashnikov USA KR103 better than the Zastava ZPAP M 70. I have seen threads were people beat up on the Zastava rifles and others in the same thread praise them. That said I have a PSA one and they get good reviews even though everyone beats up on them. PSA has a 103 model that is furniture ready, meaning you can put what you want on it. Also, need a trigger group for it. https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-103-side-folding-barrel-assembly-furniture-ready.html

The newer Zastava's all have bulged trunnions so they'll be a bit heavier than standard AKM's. That and the fact they come standard with 1.5mm receivers will make them heavier. They do have decent fit and finish for an AK though. The Maple ones look very nice.

If looking for light weight, stick with a standard AKM type.
WASR's are crude but they run as good [if not better] than any other.
WBP offerings have proven themselves solid. A WBP Jack rifle would fit your bill.
The KUSA offerings seem to be doing well, but they're still American made and the jury is still out on them.
Any parts kit build by a reputable group would work too. Atlantic firearms has a decent build team and often times has Romanian parts rifles that they've assembled on hand.
Or be patient and wait to stumble across an old import. Pretty much anything made in a formerly Soviet influenced factory will be a solid AK.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Steve_In_29

Some nice options

IMG_20210826_182828_508.jpg

I will warn you OP. You're asking this on a precision rifle forum.
If you go over to the AK Files, you'll see guys equally as knowledgeable over there [on the AK] as some our legends over here are on precision shooting; the theme over on the AK Files is to be very hesitant with newer products and non imports. AK's have been around for a while. We know what works and we've seen products and rifles that have been heavily advertised that don't work well.
I'll leave you with that.

NavyshooterM40

I hope you picked up ammo when it was a $.30 a round. It's gone up a bit, but still not as bad as 5.56. I imagine it will go higher in the near future as companies try to get as much as they can money wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
You want an AK-74; although almost all the global inventory,ammunition / firearms is rapidly being sucked up in the Ukraine-Putin conflict.

Reactions: softcock
Evocatus Strategic is building some fantastic rifles currently. That's if you're willing to look into a high end custom gun.

If you just want an AKM for the sake of having a 762x39, the WASR is still the king of "lower tier". I've seen too many issues with ZPAP's and formerly NPAP's to trust anything coming from zastava currently. I like PSA's mission statement and goal as a company, but don't think their AK's are up to par either. In order of the trash can tier of AK's it's PSA, Zastava, Pioneer Arms, Century, best to trash canniest of current offerings.

WASR, MAK 90 straight cut, AMD/Hungarian, Arsenal, among others all on the 2nd hand market will be better offerings

The I.O. and DDI guns are still out there if you want AK shaped grenades too.

No

MOA is a pretty low standard with a decent length tube
The limiting factor is the shitty ammo most push through them. $2500 AK and the cheapest steel cased ammo money can buy…

The limiting factor is the shitty ammo most push through them. $2500 AK and the cheapest steel cased ammo money can buy…

Shit even as a kid we only shot brass out of our AKs

Plus I mean it’s at MOST a 3 gun toy, not many shooting them PRS

But have fun with what you can afford

I've got a soft spot for the preban Yugo AKs, deep blue finish, teak wood, perfect fit and finish. Yeah, outdated by today's standards, but they are still awesome.

I had a East German and that was a nice AK. Turbo's looks great but the prices on these now are stupid retarded. Suggest AKfiles as that is a good source of AK knowledge. I've been out of the game for a while but do wish I never sold that kraut

I would seriously look at PSA if you want a shooter. They are the best out there right now.

I say this as a guy who has 2 bulgarian 107FR rifles and a legit Izhevsk arsenal 5.45, as well as a PSA GF3 and a PSAK 103. The FN barrels are without peer.
Interesting,

The war in Ukraine has drawn my interest towards AK's, and kind of on the fence between a KUSA KR-103/104 when it released or a PSA AK104. Just as a little blaster, they seem solid.

Reactions: BLEE
VEPR, Zastava, or Norinco. The stamped versions of the VEPR and Zastava are 1.5mm vs 1.0 mm of other manufacturer's AKs. VEPRs have a chrome lined barrel, most Zastava/Yugo AKs do not. I have two VEPRs that are both top-notch. I have friends with Norincos. One has intentionally abused the snot out of it and it keeps firing, just as faithfully, as when it was new. I would look at the PSA AK, as new VEPRs and Norincos are unavailable. I'm not sure of the quality, but reviews seem to be pretty good.

Last edited:
Interesting,

The war in Ukraine has drawn my interest towards AK's, and kind of on the fence between a KUSA KR-103/104 when it released or a PSA AK104. Just as a little blaster, they seem solid.

Of those 2, get the KUSA. PSA is more likely to require a warranty exchange.

VEPR, Zastava, or Norinco. The stamped versions are 1.5mm vs 1.0 mm. VEPRs have a chrome lined barrel, most Zastava/Yugo AKs do not. I have two VEPRs that are both top-notch. I have friends with Norincos. One has intentionally abused the snot out of it and it keeps firing, just as faithfully, as when it was new. I would look at the PSA AK, as new VEPRs and Norincos are unavailable. I'm not sure of the quality, but reviews seem to be pretty good.

VEPRs were great. I owned about a half dozen. The new Zastavas are chrome lined.

If $1500-$2k doesn't break the bank, keep an eye out on GunBroker for a lightly/unused Arsenal SA-M7 (NOT the SAM7). They were the nicest AKs to ever come to market.

Reactions: BLEE and Bakwa
I agree with the above. I've owned most of the brands mentioned but my favorite was a Valet 62 (very expensive and hard to find now) followed by an Arsenal AK.

I would seriously look at PSA if you want a shooter. They are the best out there right now.

I say this as a guy who has 2 bulgarian 107FR rifles and a legit Izhevsk arsenal 5.45, as well as a PSA GF3 and a PSAK 103. The FN barrels are without peer.
I went with PSA GF3 magpul furniture model. For 600-700 they ain't bad at all. My assorted Korean, Bulgarian, Croatian, and US Palm mags lock tight. It also has that ubiqitous "AK rattle" sound when you rack the action which is just music to my ears. 🤣

WBP Fox or a FB Radom (Beryl) for current production.

Arsenals are massively over-priced and Zastavas have a RPK trunnion without the RPK barrel which is dumb in my opinion. "Hey guys we reinforced a part that didn't need reinforced"...

Stick to a standard akm pattern. I'm a huge fan of KNS pistons, they make shooting an AK quite a bit more enjoyable and will help when the time comes and you decide to throw a whisper pickle on the end. If you get an import buy an extra carrier if going the KNS route (keep the original carrier unmolested for resale purposes).

Reactions: Bakwa and BLEE
I have one of these and it is my favorite AK, bar none — though it is on the heavy side.

(Not my link and no affiliation with the seller).
And that's a stupid price to pay for them.

Well, $4.30 is a stupid price to pay for gas. Everything is stupid prices these days.
not like AKs and SKS. Those prices are retarded and the only thing more retarded is the people paying them. WASRs going for 1100 is akin to paying 30k for a yugo in the 80s

It is crazy, I remember in the mid 80s when a Colt H-Bar was $700 and an AK was $300 or a SKS was $100. Crazy how AK are now more than a quality AR.

I liked my zpap a lot. Was a very good rifle that felt well built.

I have a beryl now and like it better, but they are more expensive and pretty much unobtainable. I would have no issue buying another zpap.

Something is worth whatever the market is willing to pay, like it or not.

That’s the beauty of a free market.

Now… who wants my Krebs KV-13? I’ll offer 20% off to my Hide brothers from the dude’s Gunbroker price and sacrifice this beauty for just $12K.

OP?

i bought a WASR in 2014(ish) for $400.....i sold it in 2018(ish) for $750.....now they are selling for over $1K....

its no where near a $1000 rifle.....they were a steal at $400 and are a solid buy at $650-700...but who the fuck is buying these things for $1k when you can have a zastava M70 for the same price.

same with the RAK47s.....who the fuck is buying those for $1K???
yeah it's nuts. I just did a sidecharging x39 AR. Love it and wouldn't go that round in anything but with how nuts the AKs are going for

Thanks
You can also check out theakforum for better understanding regarding your question and AK related question.

You can also check out theakforum for better understanding regarding your question and AK related question.

Naw man. You meant to say AK Files.

In all seriousness OP, any AK focused forum would do you better than here. There are guys that have run AK's hard, studdied them, and know what features and characteristics they're supposed to have to make them good vs merely acceptable for the average consumer. There aren't too many of those guys here and many of them are getting drowned out by people who merely have an opinion because they now own one AK or they saw a YT video from flannel daddy or James Yeager.
Go to where the real knowledge is at. Vise verse for over there, you might have guys telling you that a Ruger American is just as good of a precision instrument as a TRG. In that same sense, I wouldn't ask about precision rifles over on the AK Files or AK Forum unless I already knew which guys I was going to listen to vs which I planned to ignore.

Cheers

I have a Zastava M70 and M90 with both being top notch rifles. They are hard to beat for the price and aftermarket support, especially from SLR Rifleworks. I also have a PSA with the FN barrel and it is also a nice rifle. The only thing with PSA is to keep an eye on their QC as they can have lapses from time to time.

I’ve read that Norincos are good, but they’re made in China. What’s a buyer to do? Where’s Milfdots to guide me?