• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Which Aloris

Ritten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
Houma, Louisiana
I'm going to go ahead and start out with an Aloris tool post for my G0509G Grizzly lathe and was wondering if it would make a big difference if I went with the CXA (3.5") or the CA (4"). The lathe has a 16" swing which falls in the ratings for both. I figure having the larger tool post would lend to more stiffness and solidarity but just wasn't sure if there's another variable that I'm missing.

That said, here's a few pictures of the shop coming along. MANY thanks to RADcustom for the heads up on the BP mill.
IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Re: Which Aloris

What size is on the lathe now is it a bxa. The cxa would be ok on a 16" swing but the ca is big wamma jamma. The downside to the bigger toolposts is they can be cumbersome at times but as long as you can get your tool postioned at the right height they will work fine. Another consideration is the cost of the toolpost and holders the bigger ones get more expensive. If you decide on a CA shoot me a pm I have a spare.

The one that came with the lathe is a Chinese knock off. Now that you mention it, I can't believe I haven't measured it yet so I'll be sure to do that when I get home.

Run the one thats on it now. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id sure be tempted to at least try the one it came with, it might be just fine</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run the one thats on it now. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the two.</div></div>

I'm going to do this. It measures 2.75" across the base and the dovetail is 3" tall, so it looks like the CXA would be the way to go. The tool holder that came with it is a 300 series which I believe is a CXA (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'll just order the CXA holders to use with this post for now and if I decide to upgrade down the line I won't have to change out everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id sure be tempted to at least try the one it came with, it might be just fine</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run the one thats on it now. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the two.</div></div>

I'm going to do this. It measures 2.75" across the base and the dovetail is 3" tall, so it looks like the CXA would be the way to go. The tool holder that came with it is a 300 series which I believe is a CXA (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'll just order the CXA holders to use with this post for now and if I decide to upgrade down the line I won't have to change out everything.</div></div>

I have an aloris toolpost on my lathes mostly because thats what they came with. When I ordered extra tool holders like the one on the toolpost in your photo I ordered imports. These have worked out fine for me and were significantly less money. Unless there is an aloris tool holder youre in love with like a turning or threading holder I would just get the ones like you have pictured and get the tooling to go in. If you need the measurments on thr cxa aloris drop me a pm I have one at home and can size it up for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id sure be tempted to at least try the one it came with, it might be just fine</div></div>

I'm going to do this. It measures 2.75" across the base and the dovetail is 3" tall, so it looks like the CXA would be the way to go. The tool holder that came with it is a 300 series which I believe is a CXA (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'll just order the CXA holders to use with this post for now and if I decide to upgrade down the line I won't have to change out everything.</div></div>

I have an aloris toolpost on my lathes mostly because thats what they came with. When I ordered extra tool holders like the one on the toolpost in your photo I ordered imports. These have worked out fine for me and were significantly less money. Unless there is an aloris tool holder youre in love with like a turning or threading holder I would just get the ones like you have pictured and get the tooling to go in. If you need the measurments on thr cxa aloris drop me a pm I have one at home and can size it up for you </div></div>

Thanks! I'll let you know.