• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Ammo for Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor / Potential Stock Change

rbs7500

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2021
Australia
Hey all,

I’ve taken my Tikka T3X Super Varmint to the range 4 times now and I have tried the S&B 140g soft point, Sako TRG Precision 136g and Hornady American Whitetail 129g (bought this at the range after going through the 20 rounds of TRG I had taken with me). I’ll attach some photos and give a rundown of the ammo’s I have used so far below:

The S&B shot well and was consistently Sub MOA at 100m. However I felt it left a lot of dirt in my barrel and took a lot to clean out.
Below is a group from my first time out with this rifle. From memory the shots surrounding the tight group of 3 were zeroing shots, otherwise they could be other shots that I must have pulled slightly. Regrettably I didn’t photograph the following groups, however I do recall them being consistently tight.

S&B 100m
S&B 100m720×960 57.9 KB

The Sako TRG Precision is what I have used the most. Previously I have always produced Sub MOA groups with it, however yesterday I went through 2 boxes and was just outside of an inch at 100m and a little over 2 inches at 200m.
Below are 3 groups of three from yesterday with the Sako TRG Precision at 100m:

SakoTRGrecent
SakoTRGrecent1920×2567 293 KB

And here are 2 three shot groups from the previous time (before yesterday) using the Sako TRG Precision.

SakoTRGprev
SakoTRGprev1532×2048 128 KB

SakoTRGprev2
SakoTRGprev21532×2048 125 KB

As for the Hornady American Whitetail, is spread horribly and isn’t even worth uploading, as I’ll never use it again.

Here’s what’s interesting though; Even though I produced the worst groups that I have so far yesterday, I felt that from a technique standpoint, I was shooting the best I ever have. This was evident as I was able to hold the point of aim after the shot with the reticle barely coming off the point of aim at all, where previously it was coming off and jumping to the side.
Also, I was able to find a consistently comfortable and well aligned shooting position, which has taken until now after 4 shoots at the range. However, it was also a little more on the windy side yesterday so that could be a factor too.

Being my fourth time out, I'm also starting to notice some potential limitations with the standard sporter style stock that I'd also love some advice on. I absolutely love the look of the green roughtech and find the vertical grip attachment makes for a very stable and comfortable trigger pull, however I feel the angled buttstock sitting in a Coldwell bag is not as secure as something with a flat buttstock would be. I also feel a little more weight would go a long way. If anyone here as upgraded from a sporter, how much difference did it make to your accuracy? I'm not a huge fan of chassis systems so I'd probably go down the line of a KRG Bravo/MDT XRS to get the advantage of a flat buttstock and more weight. The KRG looks a lot nicer as it doesn't have all of the showing screws, however the XRS has a longer forend which I'm thinking would mean more stability with the bipod.

But back to the main point of this post, for anyone who owns a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor, what factory ammo have you found to be the most accurate for the rifle?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have used Hornady 140 ELDM and 143 ELDX with very good accuracy for factory ammo in my Tikka 6.5 Creed.

Hornady 147 ELDM Match or TAP, both consistently group 0.25 moa in my Tikka Tac A1 6,5 creed. From my gun the 140 ELDM does not group as well as the 147 Eldm but it's still under 0.5 moa

In the Tikka CTR I saw excellent results with the Hornady Black. Honestly the rifle hasn’t shot a whole lot better with hand loads until you get out there pretty far.

I had a tikka 6.5 creed and the Berger factory ammo shot very well in it, well under 1" groups at 100 yds. Tried all of these and they were about the same:
135 classic hunter
130 hybrid
140 hybrid

I’ve had good accuracy out to distance with Barnes 127 LRX factory ammo. I’ve got a on game sample of one, but it worked well. Seems like the Tikkas like 140gr bullets better than the lighter weights from my testing. The 127LRX was still under a inch at 100, but not at tight as some of the match ammo like American Gunner.