• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which ammo to start zeroing the rifle ?

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
I am new to precision shooting ... I have the .308 Savage 10FCP and I am waiting on the scope . Since I don`t reload (yet , for now) I need to order factory ammo . Which ammo would I need to zero the rifle and start practicing ? I `ll be doing 100, 200 and 300 yards . I know by reading here that the Federal Gold Match 168gr is very good . Also the 175gr . It` s also kind of expensive , at $20.00 the box of 20 rds . Hornady is even more expensive . I have seen some prvy Partizan Match ammo of 168gr and 175gr at much better price . Is this ammo any good ? Can I use the Federal Gold Match to zero the rifle and the Privy Partizan to to practice regularly with some degree of quality ? It is half the price . My question is because I have no clue ... I am starting now and I don`t want to shoot garbage on my brand new rifle . If I can save some money , fine but it if means shooting crap and there is no alternative besides reloading , Then I would shoot only Federal Match ammo or alike . I need ammo advice to start buying some . What about the Winchester X 150GR ? I will apreciate any help from the real professionals here ... Thanks

Re: Which ammo to start zeroing the rifle ?

Stay away from Prvi Partyzan, it's machinegun quality ammo.
Zero your rifle with ammo you are going to shoot. Buy the best ammo you can afford.

Most people recommend FGMM and Hornady for a reason, because it's accurate and high quality. I've never heard of Partizan Match, or Partizan... so i can't comment.

Winchester isn't bad stuff, but there's alot better out there. I'd suggest trying various brands of ammo, fire a few groupings out there and see what works. Some rifles are picky about the ammo they eat, from what i've heard savage is not in that group. It may well work out that the Partizan stuff shoots just as well as FGMM, you might find the opposite.

However, as is usually the case in the shooting world, the better stuff comes with a higher price tag, it's just the way the game works.

Edit: Apparantly partizan is crap. But you get my drift.

I guess that Partizan is crap ... so I`ll start with FGMM and will also try some Hornady . Which type should I start with , 155 , 168 or 175gr ?

For the ranges you're shooting, I'd recommend the 168.

If you were shooting beyond 700 yards, I'd recommend 175 gr.

The Prvi stuff won't damage your gun, but there is very, very small likelyhood it will be capable of even respectable accuracy from your rifle. I buy a couple boxes of it on occassion to use as "foulers" after I clean my rifle. They're also useful to get "on paper" after boresighting, so as not to waste good ammo that is more expensive.

The Winchester X 150gr is good (barely) for minute of deer accuracy. I have, once or twice heard reports of people having decent success with it (better than 2" groups @ 100 yards), but from what I've experienced with it, having fired it out of at least 4 different 308 rifles, it is good for 3-6" groups @ 100 yards. It is pathetic.

The cheapest ammo I've ever seen actually shoot (not that I've tried them all!) is Federal Powershok 150gr. I call it "Powermatch" now. In 2006 or 2007, I found it on sale at Cabelas for $9/box. I bought 1000 rounds, not even knowing it would shoot nice. Once I learned it did well, I bought another 1000 rounds when I saw it on sale at Walmart for $10/box. It would always run 1moa from my Savage, anywhere from 100 yards to 600 yards...though it does NOT shoot flat. With a 200 yard zero, it would take 16 or 17 minutes to get to 600, but it was consistent.

My best advice is to:

1. Ask yourself if YOU are good enough to shoot the difference between different kinds of ammo. If your not, you are best off buying a 22 and getting to the point where you CAN shoot the difference.
2. If you CAN already shoot, buy a box of each and try them out. Its possible your rifle will do well with one of the cheap offerings, like mine did with Powershok.
3. Cabelas CURRENTLY has FGMM175 for $18/box, which is a great deal, I think. You can hardly load your own for that price.
4. Before you jump into reloading, consider how much shooting you do, or will do. Reloading even its simplest form is FAR from free, and if you get bit by the reloading bug, you'll have an expensive habit. I fired about ~1500 rounds this season, and with all the reloading goodies I purchased this year, I'm probably sitting at ~$1.50/round for the year!

I have also had good results with Remington Match ammo. It uses Sierra Match King bullets as does Federal GMM.

FH

If you want the best check out McCourt Munitions or South West Ammo. Both are sponsors here and make THE BEST!

If you want cheaper but still MOA capable the South West Run & Gun 175 SMK's are doing very good. I think its around $0.75 a round.

Those are very good advices ... there is no way around it : this is an expensive hobby and it is not just the rifle that counts ... it is the scope and the ammo . So I am scrapping the cheap ammo . I have the 1:11.25" twist on my .308 and 168gr will do . I can shoot , alright. The idea of using Prvi Partizan to get on the paper is great ... I will get a box of it to do just that , and not waste the good ammo.
I think I will get FGMM mostly and perhaps a couple of Hornadys to experiment later on and compare performance plus I will be checking around some more . Thanks for valuable guidance ...

It shouldn't take more than two or three rounds to zero anyway.

My method:

pull the bolt and look through the bore at your bull's eye at 25 yards. Then without moving the gun, look through your optic. Adjust your knobs until your reticle centers the bull and looking through the bore the bull centers.

Fire a round. Adjust.

Move out to 50 yards. Fire 1 round. Adjust.

Move out to 100 yards. Fire a round. You should be within two or three inches...adjust. Fire another round and it should prove to be zeroed if your scope tracks properly. You are now zeroed.

Find (factory match) or make ammo that shoots good in your rifle. Shoot that ammo.

I'd get into making ammo asap. It doesn't have to be expensive or labor intensive. The key is to build a load that shoots good enough (I consider under moa good enough) and shoot it and not get caught up in sqeezing out that extra 1/8" off your group. This is what I try to do anyway. It's not cheaper. You can just shoot more for the same amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Prvi stuff won't damage your gun, but there is very, very small likelyhood it will be capable of even respectable accuracy from your rifle. I buy a couple boxes of it on occassion to use as "foulers" after I clean my rifle. They're also useful to get "on paper" after boresighting, so as not to waste good ammo that is more expensive.
</div></div>
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I actually have some prvi and some American eagle 150gr that I use just for this. 10.50 a box at palmetto's can't be beat!

As for what ammo to buy, honestly ask yourself what kind of accuracy are you expecting... If you don't care for any better than 1.5 inches at 100 yards, try the american eagle 150gr that I meantioned earlier. Close to 50 cents a shot and it will probably get you 1.5moa. If you are looking for 1" or better at 100 yards, then get southwest's run and gun ammo for around 75 cents a piece. If your looking to maximize your rifles potential without handloading, go for southwest's winchester 175's. At a $1 a shot your savage should get anywhere between .5"-.8" on average.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It shouldn't take more than two or three rounds to zero anyway.

My method:

pull the bolt and look through the bore at your bull's eye at 25 yards. Then without moving the gun, look through your optic. Adjust your knobs until your reticle centers the bull and looking through the bore the bull centers.

Fire a round. Adjust.

Move out to 50 yards. Fire 1 round. Adjust.

Move out to 100 yards. Fire a round. You should be within two or three inches...adjust. Fire another round and it should prove to be zeroed if your scope tracks properly. You are now zeroed. </div></div>
I will be doing exactly that , thanks so much ...

Go on cheaperthandirt.com FGMM 175 for 19.96 a box or go order some SOUTHWEST ammo. for 21.00 a box for 17f smk I bought two hundred rounds and have fired about 174 rounds of it so far and its great.

What about Nosler ? Cheaper than dirt has it at $21.00 ...

from my experiance stay away from prvi ammo it left a bunch of green residue in my rifle (some kind of stuff they put around the primer) and it wasnt accurate at all : /

you get what you pay for. buy the best you can afford imo

If I didn't reload Id be ordering a box of Prvi from AimSurplus and giving it a try. It is stupid cheap.

Do yourself a favor, buy 20 rounds and see how it groups.

Please report back!