• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which app is better…RangeTime or Ballistic-X?

PabloPlutarco

Senior Delinquent
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2008
    NY
    Being a relative newbie to the precision rifle scene, I could use some help in choosing a ballistics app. I have seen an app on YouTube called RangeTime and was wondering how it stacked up compared to the Ballistic-X app. Advice?

If a group size calf is what you seek, I would go with ballistic x. It’s the original. Many have copied his hard work and he’s here in the forum. @ballisticxapp

Late to the party here, but for measuring group sizes I actually like SubMOA better.

It’s a strange app with a strange interface, but it I like the final output (the label) better as it’s more compact and I can add multiple labels per target.

This is the biggest strength for me for SubMOA.

The app also has a history of targets so you can see your historical data. There’s a few quirks with the history, like if you want to filter results, you need to enter the name of the gun exactly the same each time, but it works.

Looks like Ballistic-X recently added a history, but it is image based vs table/spreadsheet based so it’s hard to quickly use. No filtering ability either.

Ballistic-X has better labels than it used to, but for me they are a little hard to read. It does have an easier workflow than SubMOA. It also has CEP measurement plus some other interesting measurements than one can choose to display.

There’s sort of a workaround for the multiple label issue, where you do one label for a group, save it, and then re-open the image to add additional labels. But the problem is each time it is saved as a JPEG the image gets a little fuzzy are so older labels are fuzzy. You do 5 labels this way and the first label you did will be an unreadable mess.

Again, SubMOA a strange app, but I like it better.