• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR-15 Carbine Buffer?

Gideon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
Hartland, CT
I am spec'ing out my first AR-15 and would like to hear recommendations for which buffer to use for a 5.56 in an M4-type collapsible stock. From my research, here are the primary options:

OEM - 3.0 oz, $11 (RRA from Brownells)
H1,H2,H3 - about 4.0, 4.5, 5.5 oz, $45 (Colt H2 from Brownells)
Spikes Tactical T1,T2,T3 - 3.0, 4.1, 5.4 oz, $30 ($35 for T3) (Brownells)
Slash's Heavy Buffer - 6.5 oz, $75 (heavybuffers.com)
JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring - ? oz, $120 (Brownells)
Enidine AR-Restor hydraulic - 4.3 oz, $93 (Brownells)

I am leaning toward the tungsten powder filled ST-T2 but I want opinions. Price is a factor but I'll pay more if I'm convinced of the benefit.

Other info - I'll be using a Tubb Chrome Silicon flat wire buffer spring, Krieger 16.5" carbine barrel with traditional "short" carbine length gas port location, Syrac Ordinace adjustable gas block, and an LMT enhanced semi-auto BCG. I will not have a muzzle brake initially but will be adding one (probably a PWS or Surefire) later. Ammo will range from factory to hand loads, 52gr to 77gr bullets. The rifle will be used for target, plinking, military practice, maybe competition.

Re: Which AR-15 Carbine Buffer

I switched my 16" from a standard carbine to a Spikes T2 and it made a world of difference in felt recoil, from a quick snap to a light push, with considerably less muzzle rise, I wouldn't have believed that a simple buffer swap could make such a profound difference in the function of a rifle. May see if I can maintain reliability with a T3, will definitely use Spikes buffers in future builds.

I cannot say that results would not be similar with a standard H2 or H3.

I'd run an H2. BCM's got them for $30. (My 16 inch and SBR both have H2's. Work great.)

I have ran the Spikes heavy buffers in a couple of my rifles.From my experience the heavier you can run reliably will also help with accuracy.I guess it slows the time the bolt unlocks.

Any new gun can take work and a Spikes T2 is a good place to start.
You may have to play with springs, gas settings or maybe not.
No clear cut answer.
I don't build anything less than mid-length and never had any issues with mid.
Rifle length with less pressure I have had to work with.
I can see carbine length issues with over gas needing some fine tuning.
YMMV

I just tried out my JP Silent Captured Spring this weekend. My reaction? Meh. Didn't impress. I was shooting a Rock River 16" with a JP adjustable gas block, JP compensator, and JP low mass bolt carrier. I have it tuned for 3-gun competitions (VERY low recoil) and I didn't notice any difference in sound or "sight wiggle" after firing unsupported. Maybe made sight movement a little worse. The action did feel very solid, but it was pretty good from the beginning...not a huge improvement. I obviously like JP products, but this one is not worth the cost.

As you will be using an adjustable gas block, the lightest buffer available would be the best choice.

Semi auto carrier......what BCP said. A quality carbine buffer will be fine. Rock and Roll son.

No problems with my T2 in a 20" build. I bought the T2 as part of Spike's Carbine Buffer Assembly Kit for my build. Between the T2 and a Rainer Arms brake I can watch the holes appear on paper. The brake really made the difference though with regards to keeping the rifle still.