• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which ar10 barrel

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
Looking for help on lr308 barrel. Ive narrowed it to a micro moa/ fedderson, a proof research, and a rock creek cut rifled barrel. I want the best accuracy in an 18" barrel. Leaning toward the rock creek.

well, the question is a lot like asking which is the best German car: A Porsche, Mercedes, BMW or Audi. There are many opinions.

I have done a bit of research on barrels, and what I can tell you is that there are some very solid barrel makers, and it all depends upon what is important to you. Is it durability, weight? What range are you shooting, and it is target, hunting, or tactical?

Most of my builds and research are for tactical needs, so I look for a trade-off in pure accuracy, verses weight and carrying ability (30" is better than 14.5", but I don't want to carry a 30" barrel). I like Rock Creek and Proof from your list. Probably Rock Creek a little more. In the 18" variety, I would also look at Krieger, and anything from Compass Lake Engineering (they turn barrels from other blanks), and possibly Lilja, although their options are limited. Also, I am bias toward a 5R rifling for 7.62 and .300 WM, so my options are limited.

I've had great experiences with Rock Creek in both AR 15 &10 barrels as well as bolt rifles. They tend to be fast as well as accurate. Ive only had one proof so far, and while good, its not as fast not shoots as tight as I hoped it would... but its still new (less than 200 rounds on it) and my load may just need a little more tuning for tightening down those groups.

I've heard good things about Ballistic Advantage and Criterion (they make ADM's barrels and some others') but have no first and experience with either yet.

For the money it's hard to go wrong with a mega barrel. I have a 20" on a maten set and it lives up to their sub moa guarantee and mine is usually sub .75moa consistently and thats with me, who sucks behind a gasser. The only downside is they don't offer an 18" with rifle length gas.

I went through a similar journey through 18" barrels not too long ago. I tried the kreiger, criterion, Jp, and Rainier arms ultra match. Rainier out shot them all. I know it was not one of your options, but it meets all your criteria and I think it is worth a look

I had a rainier ultramatch before. It shot ok, but i was expecting 1/2 moa. It did not show that through 1200 rounds. So i sold it. I would use them again. But i wonder if its not just luck of the draw.

Compass Lake Engineering... top shelf barrel from a great shop.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This Right Here^^^^^^^^^^^

I would buy the Barrel extension from JP.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

And I would buy the HP BCG from JP or Rubber City Armory and have it properly Headspaced by CLE. Don't be a penny wise and pound foolish when purchasing the quality of you're Bolt just buy a HP Bolt from the get go even if it's a .308 because if you want to run a 6.5 down the road you will be good to go.

I enjoy T-Box barrels for Semi-Autos.

Great shooting barrels

I use a CMMG 16", 416R, 1:10, rifle gas, medium taper, nitrided. I shoot this with ease to 1100-1200 yards with 175gr SMK's on 24"x24" plate and IPSC steel

Best of luck with your upcoming .308 AR build project. If you need any assistance in sourcing components or determining compatibility between different bolts, receivers, etc. we would be more than happy to lend a helping hand. You are welcome to give us a call if you have any questions regarding our .308 AR barrels. We work as a supplier for a number of the manufacturers in this thread, so it's nice to see them mentioned as well!

Looking for help on lr308 barrel. Ive narrowed it to a micro moa/ fedderson, a proof research, and a rock creek cut rifled barrel. I want the best accuracy in an 18" barrel. Leaning toward the rock creek.

Where did you find the Rock cut rifled lr308 barrel? I have had good luck with them on bolt guns(always seem to be a little faster).

I do have a Proof camgas barrel on the way in 6.5 creedmoor. I will post the results when I get it all put together.

Lothar Walther makes good barrels too
Reviving a very old thread, but since you evidently use lothar walther barrels, do you know they even make a .308 barrel? I see they offer 7.62 barrels, but as I understand it, there are slight differences between 7.62 barrels and 308 barrels which make the 308 barrel superior for shooting factory 308 rounds. Is the LW "7.62" barrel really just a 308?

Reviving a very old thread, but since you evidently use lothar walther barrels, do you know they even make a .308 barrel? I see they offer 7.62 barrels, but as I understand it, there are slight differences between 7.62 barrels and 308 barrels which make the 308 barrel superior for shooting factory 308 rounds. Is the LW "7.62" barrel really just a 308?

.308 head space is shorter than 7.62 NATO.

The .308 go gauge is 1.6300″, no go 1.6340″, and field 1.6380″.

The 7.62 NATO minimum chamber is 1.6355″ and maximum 1.6455".

I dont but it shot everything i fed it very accurately. Mostly it was fed .308 match rounds...

I dont but it shot everything i fed it very accurately. Mostly it was fed .308 match rounds...
And it was the lothar walther 7.62? Do you remember what kind of groups it got (roughly) and whether it was nitride or stainless?

Thanks for the response

Reactions: Madiaz
Nearly all mentioned are very nice barrels.
My personal fav is Rainier

And it was the lothar walther 7.62? Do you remember what kind of groups it got (roughly) and whether it was nitride or stainless?

Thanks for the response

I’m pretty sure it was a 7.62 chamber, stainless steel and that damn thing was a true hammer for about 5,000 rounds. I mean custom bolt gun accurate, most of my friends thought I was telling fishing stories until I shot it and let them shoot It. After about 5k it opened up some and then about 7,500 I pulled it because it had opened up again. It probably still has life in it but knowing how it shot before I was hoping to luck out again. I never could find another LW Armalite T barrel but I did manage to score another T barrel. It’s accurate but nothing like that LW!

Last edited:
Groups like this was not uncommon at all, I’ve done this enough times over on that barrel stopped taking pics. I fired a 20 mag firing about a round a second, I wished I would have videoed that, no one would believe me if I told them. It did pretty well at distance but nothing like 300 yards and in. For some reason I’m having a hard time posting pics....

Last edited: