• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Athlon scope for 22lr

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
This will go on my Kidd Supergarde.

I need a scope that is FFP/MIL/focus at 25Y or below with decent glass and not very expensive (like priced between $300-$800).
I’ll shoot the rifle mostly from the bench at 50Y, but would like to be able to use it on occasional NRL22 matches.

I’m a little lost between all the Athlon models, and would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Why does it have to be Athlon? I like the SWFA 3-15 for that application.

I'd rather have a higher max magnification than 15X.
BTW I do have a few SWFA scopes and I do like them. On my Kidd supergrade I'm currently using a SWFA 5-20. But it barely focuses at 40Y (advertised for 35Y but in reality it's more a 45Y focus) and I'm planning to move that scope to a different rifle.

I put the athlon argos-btr 6-24x on my tikka t1x ... it was around $350 iirc ... this scope will meet your requirements.

46074263855_6cefaf6258_k.jpg

I specifically got it because it would parallax down below 25yds ... while I also target shoot from 50yds ... I usually have this gun double zeroed at 25/70 so it can also serve as day tree ratter ...

The less you spend on an athlon, the greater your value :)

We have a Midas Tac on my sons rifle and it is an increadable scope for the money. It has a capped windage turret, 10mil per revolution turrets, a true zero stop, really nice gas’s and it focuses down to 10 yards. The turrets are fantastic too and it has the option of a Christmas tree reticle. I currently own 2 and plan to buy another. I really don’t think there is a better scope for the purpose out there. Sure yucas pend more money on an optic but for a 22 which is mostly for inside 300 yards I just think the money is better spent on ammo. If you do decide to get one do yourself a favor an call Doug at Cameraland. He takes great care of the members here.

I put an Athlon Helos BTR on my 22lr with a 20 moa base. FFP, 15y focus and enough turret to get to 350y and then another 6 mil or so on the reticle. Good glass, 56mm obj and 34x mag. About $60 less than the Midas Tac and a lot more magnification. No zero stop, but you can't get a full rotation past zero anyway.

Spend the extra money and buy the MidTac. Well worth the investment and it will work great on. CF rifle if the need arises. We beat some up on hunting and coyote rifles the past year, not a single complait.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I’d like a scope with good tracking and decent glass. I will never use the IR and the zero stop is a nice to have, but not a must. I like the price on the Argos, but if tracking and glass quality is significantly better on the Midas Tac, it might be a better option.

I've had many Argos BTR's and Talos BTR's, for what they are, they are great!

That said there's no comparison to the TAC line of scopes! I think the value per dollar exceeds the Argos line, it's like getting the quality of a $1000 scope basically. I like the TAC's more than the Bushnell LRHS's I had and those sold for $1500 originally.

C'mon Athlon, and you can help urge them Doug, put the APLR3, or with a .05 center dot, in the TAC line!

Last edited:
... good tracking and decent glass ...
Oh my ... you want that too !!! :D

Well, if I was serious about wanting that ... I think the budget will have to bend ... my NF 7-35x T3 tracks and has decent glass ... but that runs up into the $3k plus zone !!!

For $350 you can get " FFP/MIL/focus at 25Y or below with decent glass and not very expensive" ... depending on how you define "decent glass" ... but throw in good tracking and "elevate" the meaning of "decent glass" ... and it will cost more.

I started by saying I wanted to be able to parallax down to 10yds and I wanted to be able to zero the scope and have it hold zero. Those were my only requirements ... and the Argos BTR 6-24x meets those requirements swimingly for $350. I don't expect it to track like a $3000 scope and well, the glass is "good enough" ... but hardly "spectacular" ... there is a sort of "fish eye" aspect to it ... but when I'm shooting I don't notice that ... only when I'm scanning.

The SWFA scopes have better glass and better tracking ... but I don't know if any of them parallax down under 25yds (I say under, because as your words have indicated - you already know a scope that SAYS it parallaxs to 25yds ... might parallax to 18 ot 28 or 32 or 27 ... etc. Whereas a scope that says it parallaxes to 10yds ... might actually parallax to 25yds. :)

You might make a list of ALL the scopes under whatever your max $$ is, that parallax under 25yds ... the other ones I can think of off the top of my head, like a couple of S&Bs ... are outside your budget.

I wouldn't expect any chinese scope to track ... when I think of tracking and under $800 ... SWFA comes to mind ...

But what you can do, is calibrate the tracking on any scope. Zero the scope, then on a big piece of paper (I use the back side of NRA 500yd targets) shoot groups 5 mils up and 10 mils up and 5 mils left and 10 mils left, etc. Then measure ... and calculate the actual click values. Might be 0.11 mils or 0.09 mils etc. But then your scope will track to the calibrated values !

Decent glass? You takin pictures?
Call Doug and get the best price you can on a Athlon Argos BTR FFP 8-34 Mil.
I got the MOA version for 600 and 1000 yd F-Class.
Focuses down to 15 yards.
I practice at 100 yds, dial up 11.5 MOA Shoot a match @ 600, the next week dial back down.
Seems to track and return just fine.

You can use a ruler to calibrate tracking, no ammo required.

Yup, point is, we can measure tracking. But we cannot measure "decent glass" :)

Yup, point is, we can measure tracking. But we cannot measure "decent glass" :)
Sure we can :)
I do it all the time with photographic lenses.
A 100 to 500mm camera lens isn't as good at 500mm as it is at 400mm
Same with a scope. back off the marketing guy's max power to where it works.
You do need more than you need to back off though :)
and you know what? At distance it's the atmosphere not glass that distorts the most.
Guess that's not a problem for 22LR.

Last edited:
Well last year "The Dark Lord of Optics" assured me that us mere mortals cannot measure glass quality unless we build a fancy laboratory and fill it will fancy machines ... :)

But by diligently measuring the observed click value of our scopes, we can still use them even if they do not track perfectly. I didn't do this for my Argos because I didn't require it to track. Just to zero and hold zero. And so far it has done that well.
If I am hunting tree rats during the day, the critter is the reticle.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Yep, as above, SWFA SS 3-15 (6yd parallax) or SS 10x42 (10yd) or Athlon Midas TAC (10yd) with the tree reticle (to account for limited elevation travel, depending on how far out you gonna shoot with your 22lr).

Glass is good enough to get your bullets there with any of those...rest is up to you.

Personally I'd go Midas TAC, as the turret system from the ARES ETR is supposed to provide great tracking. My recent super chickens have had irregular tracking and parallax system issues. Very few other scopes with 10yds parallax: NF ATACR 7-35, S&B 5-25 / 3-27, and March = $$$$$.

+1 for the Midas Tac 6-24. I have two of them now and am very pleased. It is a lot of scope for the price and the ability to focus it down to 10yds is great on a .22. The new APRS3 Reticle is very well designed and gives you a lot of hold overs without over cluttering the field of view.

Are you on Facebook? There is an Athlon Scope Discussion group and Cayenne Precision LLC has a special on the ARES BTR MIL for $599.99, might be worth checking out.

The ARES BTR at a cheaper price than the Midas Tac (even though it's MSRP is higher) seems to be a better deal. Am I missing something?

The ARES BTR at a cheaper price than the Midas Tac (even though it's MSRP is higher) seems to be a better deal. Am I missing something?

Talk to the Doug at cammera land there’s a very good reason he has sold to A LOT of the members here scopes

Don’t pm or post in the forum pick up the phone and call he gets my money every time

It's more of a wash.
Really, it depends on which one has the feature set you want more. The Midas Tac has better turrets, but the Ares BTR has IR. Both have the same HD glass, 30mm tubes, and Zero Stops, but the Midas Tac has two MIL reticles to choose from and a capped windage turret.

Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer choice.

The Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 - APLR3 FFP IR MIL is on sale for only $599.99 through the end of March as a promotion. A great buy at this price for sure:
HD GlassHD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
Illuminated ReticleThe illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
First Focal Plane ReticleFirst focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
Etched Glass ReticleReticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Advanced Fully MulticoatedFully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL CoatingXPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
Precision Zero Stop SystemThe system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
High Precision Erector SystemThe high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
6061 T6 AluminumThe 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
Exposed Tactical Direct DialExposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
One Piece Tube ConstructionHeat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
WaterproofWaterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proofFog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
ShockproofRobust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon PurgedArgon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Magnification4.5-27
Objective Lens Diameter50 mm
Reticle APLR3 FFP IR MIL, Glass Etched illuminated
Surface FinishMatte
Lens CoatingWide Band Fully Multicoated
Extra CoatingXtra Protective Coating
Tube Material6061 Aluminium
Tube Diameter30 mm
Exit Pupil 11.1-1.8 mm
Eye Relief3.9"
Field of View @100 yards22.7-3.8 ft
Click Value0.1 mil
Adjustment range per rotation10 mil
Total Elevation Adjustment24 mil
Total Windage Adjustment24 mil
Turret StyleExposed Direct Dial
Parallax AdjustmentSide Focus – 25 yards to infinity
Purging MaterialArgon
Length13.8 "
Weight27.3 oz
User Instruction ManualDownload
Reticle Manual Download
When you want the best features from the top-tier riflescopes but not break the bank, look no further than the new Ares BTR first focal plane riflescope family. This feature rich riflescope is set to take the market by storm. HD Glass and advanced fully multicoated optics deliver crisp bright images for taking long range shots. The one piece tube, precision-machined from aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum will deliver precise, accurate results all day long. With a precise true zero stop feature, you won’t find this product in the market at this price point, it just didn’t exist until NOW!

This Ares BTR 4.5-27×50 Model has APLR3 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it. Please click the link or download the reticle instruction manual in Specification for more details…

Yep, as above, SWFA SS 3-15 (6yd parallax) or SS 10x42 (10yd) or Athlon Midas TAC (10yd) with the tree reticle (to account for limited elevation travel, depending on how far out you gonna shoot with your 22lr).

Glass is good enough to get your bullets there with any of those...rest is up to you.

Personally I'd go Midas TAC, as the turret system from the ARES ETR is supposed to provide great tracking. My recent super chickens have had irregular tracking and parallax system issues. Very few other scopes with 10yds parallax: NF ATACR 7-35, S&B 5-25 / 3-27, and March = $$$$$.

i have the TAC 6-24 and can dial out to 400 yards with a 50 yard zero and 30moa rail. not trying to split hairs or start a pissing match, just wanted to let people know that the elevation travel isn't THAT limited.

also, i LOVE this scope. i've never owned top tier glass and probably never will as this more than meets my current needs.

i have the TAC 6-24 and can dial out to 400 yards with a 50 yard zero and 30moa rail. not trying to split hairs or start a pissing match, just wanted to let people know that the elevation travel isn't THAT limited.

also, i LOVE this scope. i've never owned top tier glass and probably never will as this more than meets my current needs.

Very true. The 30 yard zero and 0moa rail on mine is a big part of it.

Good point!

Last edited:
I had both the Argos BTR 6-24 and 8-34 on two different 22lr and both worked great! I have a Midas TAC on my 224 and impressed so far

I have an argos BTR on my ruger precision rimfire. I felt like that was a perfect fit for me. It's just a plinking gun that I take out to about 300 yards on occasion so it works well for that purpose. My opinion of it was that for the money i was impressed by the glass and turrets. Glass is about on par as far as clarity with a PST gen 1 but it is less bright. Turret feel has clicks that are pronounced but could be better. Not mushy or hard to tell where you are though. Got mine from Doug at cameraland. Give him a shout if you are looking at any product they sell. it was a great buying process.

I received the Midas Tac 6-24.

I mounted the scope and played a little inside the house. I like it a lot. It has a true 10Y focus, clear glass, awesome turrets and nice clear reticle. Off course I still need to take it out and shoot it, but so far I’m pretty impressed. It has everything I wanted and some more. I’m going to run it for a while and if everything goes well (no reason it doesn’t), I’d probably buy some more to mount on some of my other rifles (centerfire bolt and AR).