• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which barrel contour for my Remington 700 30-06

Heimdall

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2010
Iowa
I'm re-barreling my Remington 700 SPS. I would like to go to 1000 yards with this gun and its currently a 30-06.

Question is I was looking to put a factory varmint contour at 26 inches long, or a heavy palma contour at 30 inches. I would like to have some field mobility not just a bench gun.

I can handle carrying the factory varmint in the field, but would the heavy palma do better with the longer shots than the 26 inch? would the extra 4 inches just add weight (maybe some awkwardness)? Will the factory receiver handle the extra weight?

My realistic use for this is going to be 500yd+ shots, mostly just targets, but should I decide to enter some competitions with it, like say ones where I have to sling the rifle and drag 100lbs for 100 yards and shoot a pistol while moving.

There would be some camping and shooting trips in the mountains, my friend lives in Colorado so possibly hunting with it as well which is why I'm sticking with the 30-06.

So what do you think? I'd like some input by people who have more experience than me.

Re: Which barrel contour for my Remington 700 30-06

I have a Douglas #7 contour on mine, at 22.5" plus a brake which brings total length to 24". It's 16.5 lbs fully dressed.

There's no way I would want that much bbl, out to 30", if I was planning on humping it around in the field much. too heavy, and front-heavy for my taste.

A Rem varmint contour is pretty friendly for carrying around. I'd go 22-24". My 22.5" bbl does fine to 1000 yards. It's more about the bullet choice than the bbl length.

No need for the heavy palma contour for 1k. Most palma shooters (me included) do just fine with a medium. Some run a light, though I have not shouldered one of those. 30" or more.

Hard to go wrong with the Remmy varmit contour at 26". The '06 is magic at 26" with 200 grain bullets and RL22. Several of us get 2800+ out of this combo. That is 300WM territory.

All that said, there is no such thing as the one rifle. My 30-06 has a #5 Krieger on it in a HTG stock. It is very versatile, but heavy hauling around at 10k feet for 12 hours and light when banging long range steel.

Hunting with a 30" barrel in CO is a mistake, period.

I wouldn't argue with a Rem Varmint contour at 26" either. 26" was my original length, and 2800 fps with 210 Bergers or 208 AMax is easily arranged. At 26" that contour is not too front heavy, and leaves options for shortening should you want to later.

I cut my 26" #7 down to 22.5 to improve balance.

Thanks for the input, I didn't think Id need the 30 inch seeing as the 308 can do it in a shorter barrel, but it never hurts to ask those that have done it before, its cheaper. Thanks for the input guys, and the load data.