• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which barrel?

bob3663

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Pa
Hey everyone. New guy here posting. Lurked for a long time and decided I want to build an AR-10 in .308. I have build 2 AR-15’s so far. I have a TC Icon Precision Hunter in .308 for my deer gun and want to use my AR-10 for long range work. I know JP makes amazing barrels, but they are a bit pricey. I saw some Faxon barrels but not sure how well they shoot. I want to go to 800 yards with it. I was thinking maybe a 18-20 inch barrel with a heavy profile. Am I on the right track? Would a medium profile be better? Longer or shorter length? And what brand? Thanks for the advice.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson and Wilson combat are two different company’s. With Wilson combat being the more expensive brand.

Wilson and Wilson combat are two different company’s. With Wilson combat being the more expensive brand.

Wilson Combat makes guns not barrels. Wilson Arms makes barrels and blanks. WOA uses Wilson blanks for their barrels

I saw that post padom but it was a while ago, do you have a link to it? If I remember correctly the barrel was around $265?

I saw that post padom but it was a while ago, do you have a link to it? If I remember correctly the barrel was around $265?

Yep, here you go

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...a-build-thread

I bought 2 when they were on sale at JSE Surplus. Got the fluted version for $140 and the non fluted for $120. I tested the fluted version in the above thread. I have the non fluted one on the shelf, havent touched it. I dont doubt for a second it shoots just like the fluted one. I also just picked up a Wilson SS match 6.5 Grendel barrel on sale from JSE which I have shot 40rds through. Its already hammering nice tight groups. Wilson's have never let me down. Best bang for the buck out there IMHO. The Wilson 308 Barrels are back at full price ($265 fluted, $230 non fluted) but sign up for JSE's email notice. They have awesome barrel deals pop up weekely. That barre

padom - while youre obviously correct Wilson Combat =/= Wilson Arms - the barrel manufacturer/supplier which WOA's tubes come from at a awesome price/performance point, I actually am pretty sure Wilson Combat is in fact running their own button rifling operation in-house since like 2011 I believe? Dont quote me on that, but I swear I remember hearing that from a Wilson Combat employee...

Regardless thats beside the point, Wilson Arms is a seperate entity who only supplies barrels in bulk. White Oak Armament is one of the best known for selling Wilson barrels(and theyre spectacular by all accounts) and unless something has changed, last I heard was that Compass Lake is the one who actually does the machine work on the WOA barrels/uppers and then theyre obviously sold under the White Oak brand...???

Uh no. Compass Lake and WOA are 2 complete different barrel makers and are direct competitor in the industry. They each make their own barrels in house. WOA uses Wilson, and Krieger upon request. CLE makes barrels from various blanks of your choosing.

I'm not sure if it's changed but you can find Wilson Combats company post over on AR15 stating they source blanks from others and finish them in house. Other than that post from them directly I have no idea.

Last edited:
padom No offense or anything, like I said my info might be outdated and theyre doing em in-house now..? But uh yeah, I'm pretty dang sure CLE did the machine work atleast up until fairly recently... I mean, this very thing was once in their FAQ, though upon checking their current FAQ, it is not:

"Q: What is the difference between a White Oak Precision upper and a White Oak Armament upper?

A: The biggest difference is in the barrel and sights. The WOA uppers have Wilson barrels and the sights are not pinned unless you get that option. The sight parts however are the same. I wanted to offer something for the new shooter that would be competitively priced with the uppers from RRA, bushmaster, or Armalite, yet would have all top notch components so that when you were ready to upgrade all you have to do is replace the barrel and do a little sight work. You won't have to throw away a bunch of sub standard parts.

The WOA barrels are Wilson blanks that I have turned and chambered to my specs by Frank White. Frank has the equipment to do this work much faster than I can which allows me to spend my time making WOP uppers. We all know Frank does great work so my customers get a top quality workmanship. Not only that, but when you buy a WOA upper you are also supporting CLE which keeps the money in the HP community. How can you loose with a combination like that. :)

All WOP barrels and uppers are still done by me. This will not change. This allows me complete control over quality and allows me to offer options and variations to make each upper exactly what the customer wants. "

So unless their FAQ had bad info...??? Then I'm pretty sure CLE atleast used to do WOA's(but not WOP) barrel work..

That's news to me. I was actually talking to Frank a few weeks ago about WOA and he didn't mention a thing. I'll ask him when I speak to him next week.