• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which barrel?

bob3663

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Pa
Hey everyone. New guy here posting. Lurked for a long time and decided I want to build an AR-10 in .308. I have build 2 AR-15’s so far. I have a TC Icon Precision Hunter in .308 for my deer gun and want to use my AR-10 for long range work. I know JP makes amazing barrels, but they are a bit pricey. I saw some Faxon barrels but not sure how well they shoot. I want to go to 800 yards with it. I was thinking maybe a 18-20 inch barrel with a heavy profile. Am I on the right track? Would a medium profile be better? Longer or shorter length? And what brand? Thanks for the advice.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob,

I just picked up a Faxon, 6.5 CM, fluted, 20" barrel and shot it this week. It appealed to me due to its weight. I've shot Hornady 120 gn AMAX factory ammo and Prime 130 gn ammo. The rifle is assembled on Aero receivers with a Steiner 3-15 in a Spuhr mount and 3 lb velocity trigger.

It shot both varieties of ammo very, very well. It only has 25 rounds through it; but with the Hornady 120s, it printed a .46 and a .6 group. The Prime ammo printed .7, .8 and .9. I only shot it out to 100 yds, but I am very pleased with it. Not sure on it being any cheaper than a JP as I gave $360.00 for the barrel and $220.00 for the Rubber City Armory BCG (w/HP bolt) utilizing Veteran Day sales. So, basically around $480.00 for barrel and bolt with the sales.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

blessings,

BC