• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Which bastard?

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
I am planning an M700 .308 build. I plan to get a Bartlein MTU cut to 20" and need to know which APA brake will be appropriate. I would think Little Bastard, yes?

Re: Which bastard?

As soon as I get paid for my can I sold Im getting a little bastard for my rifle.

Im gonna be the Fat Bastard with a little bastard.

I want a shirt that says "Ask me about my little bastard"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a shirt that says "Ask me about my little bastard" </div></div>

Chicks will dig it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a shirt that says "Ask me about my little bastard" </div></div>

Chicks will dig it
wink.gif
</div></div>

You could go the other way and say, "Ask me about my Fat bastard" and really get the looks
laugh.gif

To clarify my original question, I don't know the diameter of the MTU contour at 20 inches. I want a seamless look and wanted to make sure that the diameter of the Little Bastard is enough to blend with the barrel.

dave

you will be fine and it can be blended on that barrel

the mtu is large contour

sorry for thread jack, but how does the little bastard compare with, for example, the Badger Thruster brake or the FTE?

DaveX,

The little bastard has a 1" diameter, so you would have to measure your blank and see what it is. I just put a little bastard on a larger barrel (cant recall off the top of my head the contour) and it only had about .010" of material before it was too small for this barrel. So you will just have to measure it and see.

I like the little bastard brakes, I think they are the most efficent of this design.

Mark

Thanks Mark. You are getting at the heart of my concern. I will circle back around and ask if anyone knows the diameter at the 20" cut. If I need to use the Fat Bastard, will the performance be comparable even though it is designed for big magnums?

I do believe that the Fat Bastard has a .338 opening, so performance should not be compromised too much from having a large opening for the bullet to pass through. In addition, the F/B has 4 ports instead of the 3 like the L/B.

You might be able to call Bartlien and see if they know what the Diameter will be.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I emailed Bartlein and they said they will custom contour the barrel to meet my requirements at 20 inches so I will go with the Little Bastard.

FYI, here is a copy of the email:

<span style="font-style: italic">Dave, It would be approx. 1.014". That contour has about a .014 taper per inch. With a muzzle of .930 and take 6" x .014 = .084" than add the original muzzle dia. of .930" = 1.014"

Or if you want to stay around a certain diameter lets say .950 we can make the barrel .950 @ 20". You just have to let us know. </span>

The FB's actually start life as 7mm's. That being said you can still open them up for 338's and run 30's through them. They work so well that it doesn't matter. I normally give .030 clearance while other people say do .020 on most other brakes.

Thanks for chiming in Jered. Back to my original question, which brake would you recommend?

It depends on the look. If you want a seamless transition into the brake, both will give you that. The little bastard has one more port and has a taper on the muzzle end. I must say the F/B looks pretty awesome if you dont want to have a square muzzle. Also, the F/B looks best if you want to leave it a little larger than the barrel diameter.

We need a Small Bastard for AR barrels and smaller caliber sporter barrels Jered!!!!

Sign me up for a few!

Mark

Thier Little Bastard brake takes my 15lb .260's recoil to that of a .22-250. Concussion is able to be dealt with with just one set of earplugs, but two sets of ear pro are a bit easier.

I would highly recommend the LB over the FB for the 308.

Here is a photo of how I set up the LB to maximize recoil reduction.
Try to keep your eye on the brake. Never mind whats in the truck.
IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5657copy.jpg

I leave it 1.0 and chamfer the rear like the FB. That set up will tame an Ultra Mag so plan on it eating a 308's lunch.

I think I might have to pay Mr Joplin a visit this week ....

Just got a Shilen Select Match, no7 contour .... I think its gonna be finished around 20inches and have a little bastard put on it ....

Thanks for the input Jered. All I saw in the back of the truck was a sweet rifle and a bag of deer corn. Did I miss something else
grin.gif

Damn Jered, if you had fins, I'd call you a shark in a feeding frenzy, given what's in the truck. Such would make some good breakfast.

Might I ask what the specs on that NICE rifle are?

The scope is a March.

The rifle is something I haven't released yet so I really don't want to shout the name out on the net just yet.

As far as the deer go...........I'll never apologize for putting meat on the table. I normally am after the tastey doe but these guys ambushed me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The rifle is something I haven't released yet so I really don't want to shout the name out on the net just yet.

</div></div>

Pretty. I think it needs to be named after a goddess (Artemis, Bellona, Enyo).