• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which BCG

Quiet6.8

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
UT
Hello Fellow Snipers,
First let me state that, I already have a functioning rifles with my current BCGs, they run fine, and shoot smoothly. But I am wanting to “upgrade” my BCGs. Rifle info..
1) 16” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
2aArmament Ti GB
2aArmament RBCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega
2) 12.5” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
SuperLative AGB
BoomFab Ti BCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega

I just finished two large frame upper builds (308 & 338FED) using JP VMOS carriers paired with JPSCS, they shoot shoot smooth as butter. After shooting those uppers, it’s made me reconsider my current BCGs in my other rifles. The 6.8s are primarily hunting rifles, but I have enough ammo to use them, along with my 5.56 rifles, as a “duty” rifle.

Questions are, Would using the VMOS carriers gain me any real world reliability? I have yet to have any sort of malfunction with my current rifles with the gas tuned to my weakest ammunition. Would the extra reciprocating mass, compensate not having an AGB on my 16” rifle? Am I just chasing the JP name and reputation?

Cheers,
Cris from UT

Hello Fellow Snipers,
First let me state that, I already have a functioning rifles with my current BCGs, they run fine, and shoot smoothly. But I am wanting to “upgrade” my BCGs. Rifle info..
1) 16” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
2aArmament Ti GB
2aArmament RBCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega
2) 12.5” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
SuperLative AGB
BoomFab Ti BCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega

I just finished two large frame upper builds (308 & 338FED) using JP VMOS carriers paired with JPSCS, they shoot shoot smooth as butter. After shooting those uppers, it’s made me reconsider my current BCGs in my other rifles. The 6.8s are primarily hunting rifles, but I have enough ammo to use them, along with my 5.56 rifles, as a “duty” rifle.

Questions are, Would using the VMOS carriers gain me any real world reliability? I have yet to have any sort of malfunction with my current rifles with the gas tuned to my weakest ammunition. Would the extra reciprocating mass, compensate not having an AGB on my 16” rifle? Am I just chasing the JP name and reputation?

Cheers,
Cris from UT

sounds like you are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist. BCGs are pretty simple. Most work reliably. Cheap ones can fail from time to time. I would put my money aside for great optics. You BCGs look fine.

Hello Fellow Snipers,
1) 16” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
2aArmament Ti GB
2aArmament RBCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega
2) 12.5” 6.8ARP Mid Gas
SuperLative AGB
BoomFab Ti BCG
JPSCS
SiCo Omega

Cheers,
Cris from UT
Given your parts list for the 2 firearms... I don't see any advantage to the VMOS carriers.

Your 16" is using this... 2aArmament RBCG,
"The Regulated Bolt Carrier (RBC) is a lightweight carrier with a gas regulating gate built into the carrier itself. This provides a drop in, lightweight solution for those looking to tune your AR-15's gas system. It eliminates the need for adjustable gas blocks and allows the firearm to be restored to a factory full weight system by simply swapping your full-mass carrier back into your firearm. The RBC has infinite adjustment from fully open, to fully closed on the regulating gate. The RBC can be tuned to most combinations of buffers, springs, suppressors, and barrel lengths. The RBC Is fully adjustable through the port door and does not require the firearm to be broken down for adjustment. "

Have you tried both firearms in extreme temps ? ( with your exisiting parts )

The coldest I’ve shot both rifles is about 15*F, hottest temps have been around 100*

Cheers,
Cris from UT
Won't necessarily gain you real world reliability over a properly tuned low mass set up. You would still have to select the weight combo for the VMOS+JP SCS (or other buffer) + ammunition in order to maintain reliability.

Extra reciprocating mass could compensate for not having an AGB but only if you shoot ammo pressure that leaned towards the higher end of the spectrum and your gas port is oversized. If you go too high on the reciprocating mass adjustments, you'll end up on the unreliable side with lower pressure ammo if the gas port is undersized.

Probably the cheaper way of going about this if you want to see if you're the type of person that prefers the recoil impulse of a heavier mass setup is increase buffer weight first. Some people just don't like the fast and light snappy feel of low mass and prefer slow push of the heavier setup.

No, the VMOS is not going to give you anymore reliability than you can get without it, assuming your gun is tuned correctly.

And if you have an AGB (or gas key), you don't need a VMOS; if you want a lighter BCG, then go that route & tune accordingly.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

So the only main difference between the large frame uppers and your 12.5" is the BCG? They both have JP SCS? Both have the gas tuned Id assume to run with their respective BCG?

Trying to figure out why one seems so much better for you than the other

I have a variety of BCGs. Toolcraft DLCs, Young Manufacturing chrome, JPs, Bootlegs. All are quality. I’ve only ever had issues with the cheap carriers. Shooting suppressed…by far…my chrome platedYoung national match will stay the slickest and go the longest before any drop in performance.