• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which binoculars? - I am totally new.

Johnnyscience

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys I'm looking to get a really good, durable set of binoculars.

The thing is, I dont have any clue about what specs are "good" and what is really available.

I am looking for a smaller pair (as long as that doesnt degrade the quality/distance) I would assume in this day in age, it wont.

Something I can fit in a MOLLE pouch on a vest.

Are there any type of binoculars that give you a digital read out on the screen of how far something is? Or is that not something thats available yet?

Do you buy them based on how far you are trying to see? 300 yards, 1000 yards etc etc?

So what do you guys suggest?

I honestly dont know enough about them to ask more questions beyond that.

Thanks.

Re: Which binoculars? - I am totally new.

Binoculars are use specific as to which power suits the intended purpose the best.
Standard powers range from 6x - 10x and after that you get into "Big-Eyes" of 12-20x magnification.
There are binoculars such as Leica Geovids and Zeiss Victory RF's that are combination binocular and distance reading rangefinders. These units are slightly larger and a bit more expensive.

If you've got a few moments please feel free to give a call and we can discuss what features would best suit your needs.

Hmm. interesting. I'm at work right now and dont know when I can call, but will try later today at some point. thank you.

I handled a Steiner Predator C5 at the Shot Show and it had a great image. I'm looking for a pair now but have money tied up in a spotter at the moment. Size wasn't bad for a 10x42 and it seemed pretty tough. No digital readout, just a plain jane binocular. Price is around $600 and it seemed to beat out other ED binos for more money. My .02

You would be better off getting a set of compact binos and not having the rangefinding capabilty. If you do want the rangefinding feature in a high end bino you will pay a heafy price. Another route is to go with the swaro laser guide. Very good glass and it will range up to 1200 yards consistently. Good luck and get your visa out of your wallet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnyscience</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I'm looking to get a really good, durable set of binoculars.

The thing is, I dont have any clue about what specs are "good" and what is really available.

I am looking for a smaller pair (as long as that doesnt degrade the quality/distance) I would assume in this day in age, it wont.

Something I can fit in a MOLLE pouch on a vest.

Are there any type of binoculars that give you a digital read out on the screen of how far something is? Or is that not something thats available yet?

Do you buy them based on how far you are trying to see? 300 yards, 1000 yards etc etc?

So what do you guys suggest?

I honestly dont know enough about them to ask more questions beyond that.

Thanks. </div></div>

I have a Leica Geovid 8 power for a couple of years now and love it. In the field without support, the 8X is just about what I want to handle for ranging. Optics is superd and the laser range feature is fairly accurate for my hunting purposes.

Doug from Cameraland I thought had these on sale not that long ago. I certainly paid a lot more than what he was asking for these units.

Can't go wrong with the Geovids.

Zeiss Victory FL, great size, great glass, I highly recommend.

Be advised, at least with Leica Geovid, the warranty on the bino is lifetime, the warranty on the rangefinder is 3 years. When the rangefinder in your binos dies, you can pay a hefty price to repair or buy a new rangefinder.

I like Leica Ultravid or Victory FL. Other stuff works good too, but these are where I spend my money and have the most confidence.

Ok, some great feedback guys.

Let me say this after talking with Doug from Camera Land:

Range finders are going to be too large & too costly for what I'm looking to spend.

He suggested the Minox 62122 BD which is normally a $500 set and he currently has for $275.

More than likely because of everything, price, size & quality I will go with the Minox

But I will like to address the others suggested

I REALLY like the Predator C5 - how big is it in relation to the Minox?

The price is literally double, so if I'm going to double up, I may look into other avenues...

That Minox just seems like a sweet spot right now.

What about the Zeiss Victory FL - how does that compare to the Minox?

the swaro laser guide is cool, but out of my price range for now. - Is it also binoculars though?

also, I forgot, the 1st number dictates how large the image will be, but what does the 2nd number dictate?

second number is MM. That is the measurement of the diameter of glass in the objective.

the swaro is not a bino because you look through one eye but the glass is good so if you wanted you could make it your bino with rangefinder capabilities.

The ziess is handsdown the winner vs. the minox but you will pay for the ziess once. Later you will be wanting to get something else if you buy the minox. Buy once cry once.

Whatever you decide, don't hesitate to buy from cameraland, I have had good experiences with them, and will use them in the future.

Good CS, good warranties and overall good people to deal with.

If Minox is the "sweet spot", I'd also look at Vortex too.

Zeiss Victory is amazing; and at almost $2,000, it should be.

Ok, which Ziess model exactly?

Because when I type in Zeiss Victory FL it brings up a slew of different models.

How much will it cost roughly?

Why/how exactly is the Ziess better than the Minox so I can justify the price?

If I'm in the Ziess price range, what other binos are out there that would compare to it?

I'm still highly considering the Minox because of the price though. Thats a sweet deal.

Wow, if Zeiss is that much, I'm not interested.

Maybe later when/if I have more money... but 2k is totally unrealistic right now.

Which Vortex exactly? What makes that comparable to Minox?

For sure doing business with Doug, great guy.

Vectronics Vector IV.....been eating ramon noodles now for 3 years....only have to do that for 6 more years

The new Vortex Viper compacts (32mm objective) carry on the excellent Viper bino tradition. We have sold a few of the little 6x32 with excellent feedback. Come in 8x32 and 10x32 flavors too.

We've never had good luck selling Minox. It's just not a high demand item, and doesn't seem to have a street value correlating with asking price. The older "original" BD BR Aspherics were damm fine binos, though.

Scott

After some experimentation, I like the 9 ounce Nikon Travelites strapped to my chest with an elastic harness.

I can crawl on my belly with them, and they keep my total weight carried down.

My biggest problem with chest mount is crumbs falling in the eye pieces while eating while riding in the truck.

I believe the Minox is an Aspherics.

so with that said, which would be a better choice, the Minox or the new Vortex Viper?

What is the real price difference and the spec differences?

I bought one of the pairs of 6x32 from Scott and really, rally like them. They are good glass at a good price.

The Zeiss I have experience with are the Victory FL 10x32: small, relatively light-weight, fantastic glass, good low-light - to the limits that 10x32 will ever be good in low light.

The biggest differentiating factor for me in binos is that I can look through my Leica's (or comperable) for hours and never get a headache; the same isn't true of lesser binos I've owned.

Though the hours haven't stretched on yet with my 6x32 Vipers, I have been very impressed with them, for the time I've used.

I've had a pare of Zeiss 10x25 compacts for years and it was a good decision that I've never regretted.I've looked through some of the bigger Swaro's over the years and yes they are slightly clearer and brighter but in my opinion not that much better for 4-5 times the price.Also I have looked through a half dozen other brands like Nikon,Bushnell,Pentax Etc.I'm not sure whether these were their top of the line glass or not but my Z10x25's were clearer.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnyscience</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the Minox is an Aspherics.

so with that said, which would be a better choice, the Minox or the new Vortex Viper?

What is the real price difference and the spec differences? </div></div>

The Ziess sound great, but they will be something I will upgrade to later on down the road. I have too much other gear to get right now and just cant/dont want to spend that much.

I think it will be between the Minox or Vortex, I just dont know how the vortex compares to the Minox in price & specs?

For 400 used or 700.00 new you can get 10x40 zeiss classics.

One big problem for me in 2008 was riding in a moving truck on a dirt road, looking 1000 yards to the horizon, looking for Antelope, deer, or elk.

The 9X binocs give false positives when sighting a fence post.

I have been looking for 2X binocs, but 3.2x is the lowest I have found in 2009.

I'm surprised Steiner has only been mentioned in one post. Zeiss I'm sure makes great binos with better glass, but I vote for Steiner if you're looking for something that will see hard use.

steiners are nice. I would really recomend you try a pair of the Vortex. Their warranty alone should have you look at them.

I should say that I am looking for something that can handle hard use.

I dont think I will be looking through these for hours at a time - but you never know.

I talked with Neil from Cameraland, he said that the Vortex's are around $400 but have that unbelievable warranty.

He said that they are about equal to the Minox other than the warranty.

I dont know, I'm still kind of torn. That minox for $275 is just such a sweet price and a deal...

The Steiners sound nice, but it seems that everything else is in the 500-1000 range.

This Minox has a sweet spot for the price right now.

There is a nice set of used Swarovski for sale in the classifieds. I have 2 pair of swarovski and I think they are the best. I also had a pair of Leupold the cheaper models and they worked well for a long time.

If you really want a compact bino with excellent glass and very durable, the swarovski ELs are probably the best in that category. There's an 8x32 and 10x32 model. My sister has the 8x32 pair that she uses for birdwatching, and they are amazing. Of course new price for those is from $1600-1800, so probably they are out of your price range. The zeiss is also great, but the swarovski is still a little smaller. If you search for a really long time, you could find one of those swaros for around $1000 (my dad found my sister's pair on ebay after about 2 years of searching).

There are different classes of binos depending on price. At the high end($1000+) you have many great choices. Below the high end, I don't notice much difference between $300 binos and $600 binos. I think the Nikon Monarch 8x42 ATB is the best deal out there at about $250. Combine that with a Nikon Monarch 800 rangefinder and you have a super package.

Here is a great review: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Check out the Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7430-Monarch...5227&sr=1-1

You know a really good bino for the money is the nikon monarch 8X42. You can buy them new for $299. Excellent bino for the money. I have a pair and would not trade if for anything. Very durable and crystal clear. You will not be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnyscience</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

He suggested the Minox 62122 BD which is normally a $500 set and he currently has for $275.

More than likely because of everything, price, size & quality I will go with the Minox </div></div>

No optics expert here but I got to partake in an outside demo with binos and 60% or more there, all agreed the Minox was just as good as everything in the test and when cost value to optics, it won hands down. I was amazed at the brightness and clarity even compared to Swaro at 4 times the cost. I am sure the experts could tell but I think if all we got to do was look through the glass and not know brand, Minox would be picked as $1500-$2000 bino for a cost of around $400.

My .01 take if for what is it.

Good luck

You might want to look at Kahles. I got a pair of 8x32's that I like alot. I think Kahles is owned by Swarovski, not sure though.

For me it came down to finding a pair that I could use wearing glasses, It was harder than you think. Some of the less expensive ones I just could'nt get them focused very well with or without glasses. I was prepared to go up into the high end stuff but the Kahles solved my problem just fine. I think I paid 600.00 at sportsman's warehouse.

I had Steiner Military Marine 8x30s, individual focus, very nice quality; except they fogged the first time I ever "challenged" them in the outback.

You want shirt pocket size?
Zeiss armored 8x30 BTP are about the best small binocular for durability and image quality. All Zeiss stuff has a more contrast-tuned lens set that make what you see appear crisp and bright. The 7x42 Zeiss are a midsize but fine unit.

I have an 8x25 set of Olympus binos that are about cigarette pack in size and are excellent.

No getting around the fact that for constant use, you want a 7x50 set of field glasses, maybe an 8x56 for diminished light situations.

I prefer individual occular focus designs for best image quality. If you are going to really use a binocular, you don't want to fatigue your eyes.

Doug just wanted to let you know that I bought the Minnox from Neil last friday. It was delievered today, but I havent had a chance to get it.

Just wanted to let you know I did end up doing business with you.

Thanks again.

I have some 12x56 Nikon Monarch binoculars that are way to heavy and powerful for hand use.

I have them mounted on a post that is attached to a 10 pound metal plate that slides on my shooting bench turret that is atop my vehicle.

They are good at differentiating the shades of brown that are targets from the brown dirt back ground.