• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Which Bipod for Field Use?

TheNatural21

Private
Minuteman
  • May 30, 2020
    What bipod would you suggest for a precision rifle in the field and why? Use is hunting or more often just target shooting on empty land. I need to be able to carry everything with me on foot to my final location, but a truck/atv/snowmobile will often get me close. Terrain is mostly wooded with mild elevation changes. Weight and cost are considerations, but getting something that does the job well is priority. Rifle is a 9.5lb 308 in a chassis with mlok forend so I could use nearly any attachment method. Would also likely use it on a 16lb 6.5 Creedmoor. QD is nice so I can keep it in an easily accessible backpack pocket and not carry the weight on the rifle when I don't need it. It would be nice to also use it for PRS competition, but not required.

I have a Mystic Precision MPOD which is rock solid and I like it at the range. I don't know if it can be beat in the prone. The quick release is nice. Not folding makes it awkward to carry in a pack though, and forget about leaving it on the rifle.

I also have a couple Harris style bipods with cant and notched legs. I can never get them tight enough to lock up the cant for more than a couple shots and I find that frustrating so I rarely use them. They stow nicely though.

I was thinking about trying a Ckye Pod. Standard height, either pic rail or ARCA. Any thoughts on those?

Not sure how far you have to go but with the money spent on a Ckye pod you could get a nice carbon fiber tripod

If you don’t have a solid tripod yet I think you should consider that before a ckye pod. I’ve used a CAL with no problem in field shooting.

Reactions: 260284
    I've been using Atlas for decades and love them. I love the CAM for range time, but in the field I like the BT10LW17 best.

The quick attach to a picatinny rail or ARCA gives options. Being able to set the legs at 45 or 135 degrees as well as 90 comes in very handy. Pointed in you can steady on someone close to you like the edge of a tree stand, point one back / one forward to straddle a fence for both forward to minimize movement for long shots. The 45 / 135 degree also gives a closer to the ground option when needed. The swivel adjustment both side to side and leveling helps prevent any torque from uneven positions transferring to the rifle while making it easy to level and track a target.

Only down sides are they are slow to deploy compared to something like a harris and like any bipod do not offer a lot of height. You can get more height with a pair of extensions or pipes slid over the legs, but it is no tripod replacement. I can set mine on a day pack and it works well for sitting, but that's about the limit IMO.

Attachments

• 16184338672728238920784933681703.jpg
      16184338672728238920784933681703.jpg
      503.4 KB · Views: 111
    Not sure how far you have to go but with the money spent on a Ckye pod you could get a nice carbon fiber tripod

If you don’t have a solid tripod yet I think you should consider that before a ckye pod. I’ve used a CAL with no problem in field shooting.
    You guys make a good point. I have never learned to shoot off of a tripod but I've seen pictures and heard good things online and in magazines. I happen to have a tripod with a high weight rating from photography... Maybe I'll take it out and see how I like it.

Could I use a tripod at the front of a rifle with a rear bag in the prone without any disadvantages? Of course I see the appeal of mounting it near the balance point of the rifle for seated positions, but I'm often able to get prone on the edge of a clearing and I kind of like shooting prone when I can.

i am using an atlas cal (and a monopod) so everything i need is attached to the rifle (if i don't have a rear bag).

I wouldn't want to drag a tripod unless you really need to make standing shots. If you can do sitting and prone shooting or have something to shoot off of like backpack, fences, tree branches, rocks etc. I would use a bipod.

If you are in open fields and need to see above the grass or shoot so far you need elevation to see over the horizon then a tripod.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    You guys have been a great help. Thank you all for your input.

I'm still hoping someone with a Ckye Pod chimes in, but the Atlas recommendations and tripod idea seem very solid. I'll be diving further into those with the Google for sure.
    I wouldn't want to drag a tripod unless you really need to make standing shots. If you can do sitting and prone shooting or have something to shoot off of like backpack, fences, tree branches, rocks etc. I would use a bipod.

If you are in open fields and need to see above the grass or shoot so far you need elevation to see over the horizon then a tripod.
    I pretty much always have a backpack with me and lots of trees to use in the wooded areas. Standing with a tripod is not something I see myself doing - there aren't many places that I need to see over something tall. Still, though, tripods look fun and I like trying new things.

You guys have been a great help. Thank you all for your input.

I'm still hoping someone with a Ckye Pod chimes in, but the Atlas recommendations and tripod idea seem very solid. I'll be diving further into those with the Google for sure.

I pretty much always have a backpack with me and lots of trees to use in the wooded areas. Standing with a tripod is not something I see myself doing - there aren't many places that I need to see over something tall. Still, though, tripods look fun and I like trying new things.
    I have ckye pods and have used them. I’ve never missed a shot because i didn’t have a ckye pod. They are good in the field but I always find myself reaching for my cal.
    There are some for sale in the PX for reasonable prices. I don’t think they are worth what mdt is asking for.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TheNatural21
    For what it's worth I no longer being my tripod or hunting..it has been replaced with my triple pull ckyepod. That said of you are just looking to use it from shooting prone an atlas cal or a tbac would serve your purposes just fine.

I absolutely love my atlas super cal, way more than my V8.

I like my atlas cal but if time is critical it's pretty slow to deploy. The Tbac looks like it does everything the cal does but better imo.

Reactions: rady
    TBAC, Accu Tac. Of these two, Accu Tac would be my choice, that's if you can get one. When shooting magnum loads, cant stays put. Can't say that about the prs.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
    Damn, that's a lot of votes for an Atlas. I was looking at them earlier, but will look at them much harder now.

The marketing hype really had me thinking the Ckye pod would be a better alternative. Although.. I live in the same province as MDT's head office so I probably hear more about their products than people that are further away. They are not cheap here by any means, but most of their stuff is a little more affordable than US products (like an MPA or KRG chassis), probably because of cross border shipping and duties. I guess lots of you in this thread probably have the opposite perspective.

+1 for accu-tac if you want something super sturdy, but it would not be the lightest or quietest bipod for hunting, jmo.
    I agree. Pulling the legs down requires some strength and the ratchet on the legs can be rather noisy if you don't watch yourself. I love the ratcheting legs and how they lock.............. They are a great looking set of legs. :)

I like my atlas cal but if time is critical it's pretty slow to deploy. The Tbac looks like it does everything the cal does but better imo.
    i thought that for a while

went back to atlas with a super cal

a triple pull cyke would be nice but i'd rather an RRS with an anvil30

Reactions: st1650

+1 for accu-tac if you want something super sturdy, but it would not be the lightest or quietest bipod for hunting, jmo.
    Those do look really nice. It's not a lot of height adjustment compared to the Harris, but beats no adjustment in the Atlas.

Weight... If it has QD (which those do) I am less concerned. I know ounces -> pounds -> pain, but it feels like they add up a lot slower in the side pocket of a pack than fixed to the rifle.

Those do look really nice. It's not a lot of height adjustment compared to the Harris, but beats no adjustment in the Atlas.

Weight... If it has QD (which those do) I am less concerned. I know ounces -> pounds -> pain, but it feels like they add up a lot slower in the side pocket of a pack than fixed to the rifle.
    not sure what you mean. the atlas extends like most bipods (i have all 3).
    for the atlas, you pull down on the cap to release, up or down.
    the accu-tac is quicker to extend (just pull) and retract (spring load push button).
    the atlas has slightly more play in the legs, but this just lets the rifle rock back with recoil without the feet moving, imho.
    the harris is serviceable from flat ground, but the feet can roll on some surfaces because the legs rotate.
    also, i have found the 45deg angle option very useful on the atlas and accu-tac.

not sure what you mean. the atlas extends like most bipods (i have all 3).
    for the atlas, you pull down on the cap to release, up or down.
    the accu-tac is quicker to extend (just pull) and retract (spring load push button).
    the atlas has slightly more play in the legs, but this just lets the rifle rock back with recoil without the feet moving, imho.
    the harris is serviceable from flat ground, but the feet can roll on some surfaces because the legs rotate.
    also, i have found the 45deg angle option very useful on the atlas and accu-tac.
    Umm.. I have been misunderstanding the Atlas for a long time. For some reason, I thought the only change in height was from switching between 45 degree and 90 degree leg positions. Your reply forced me to Google it and realize, once again, that I had it all wrong. Thanks.

I'm so remote it's a hell of a trip to go to any sort of shop that stocks such things. Everyone hunts here but nobody is interested in precision/tactical shooting. It makes it really tough to check out different gear, so there's lots of stuff I've never seen except in pictures.

Reactions: theLBC
    Umm.. I have been misunderstanding the Atlas for a long time. For some reason, I thought the only change in height was from switching between 45 degree and 90 degree leg positions. Your reply forced me to Google it and realize, once again, that I had it all wrong. Thanks.

I'm so remote it's a hell of a trip to go to any sort of shop that stocks such things. Everyone hunts here but nobody is interested in precision/tactical shooting. It makes it really tough to check out different gear, so there's lots of stuff I've never seen except in pictures.
    yeah, for us "poors", it helps to have a forum with rich bastards that have the money to try everything for us first and tell us what works.

yeah, for us "poors", it helps to have a forum with rich bastards that have the money to try everything for us first and tell us what works.
    100%! To actually test things out I would have to drive 9 hours each way (in good weather) to look at an Atlas in a store, if they had one in stock. Or I could buy one of everything online and check them out at home. As a poor, neither of those is really feasible and it is absolutely amazing to be able to get this info from the non-poors online.

Recently got an Atlas V8. Really nice, but wish I’d got a little more length. It takes more than I thought when legs are 45*

A few more notes about the ckye pod. The double pull only really gives you +3” over the single. So if you’re set on a ckye pod then look at a single or triple. Like I said above...do I like mine? Sure. Do I think they are worth the price MDT is asking? No. I find myself reaching more for my cal to be totally honest. Thunderbeast is “eh”. Nothing special to write about. Never tried accutac. All things considered I’d recommend a cal and a good tripod set up.

A few more notes about the ckye pod. The double pull only really gives you +3” over the single. So if you’re set on a ckye pod then look at a single or triple. Like I said above...do I like mine? Sure. Do I think they are worth the price MDT is asking? No. I find myself reaching more for my cal to be totally honest. Thunderbeast is “eh”. Nothing special to write about. Never tried accutac. All things considered I’d recommend a cal and a good tripod set up.
    Thanks. I think I'd go with the standard height single pull Ckye pod. I think the Harris I like the most is a 9-13 (or close to that), so the standard height single pull would offer the height range I like.

There has been an awful lot of support for the Atlas cal in this thread, though. Too much to ignore. The models I see available at Canadian retailers would need the 3" leg extensions to get high enough for my liking.

With the extensions there is less than $100 price difference between the Ckye and Atlas cal. Atlas is still the less expensive, but not the drastic difference I think you guys south of the border are seeing. (Atlas is an import here which always adds to the price, but MDT is home grown). Still vote Atlas cal?

Thanks. I think I'd go with the standard height single pull Ckye pod. I think the Harris I like the most is a 9-13 (or close to that), so the standard height single pull would offer the height range I like.

There has been an awful lot of support for the Atlas cal in this thread, though. Too much to ignore. The models I see available at Canadian retailers would need the 3" leg extensions to get high enough for my liking.

With the extensions there is less than $100 price difference between the Ckye and Atlas cal. Atlas is still the less expensive, but not the drastic difference I think you guys south of the border are seeing. (Atlas is an import here which always adds to the price, but MDT is home grown). Still vote Atlas cal?
    That's what made me go Ckye, to get an atlas and everything I'd need I was 50-100 from the Ckye price.

If the extensions are a must have then I’d agree with you and just go for a single pull ckye pod. It’s sort of the same argument as a Harris. By the time you’ve upgraded with a pod lock, arca, etc you’re already at atlas prices. Same in this case- extensions put you at such a tight margin with the ckye pod so you might as well go ckye pod.

Nobody has mentioned it, but I really like the Thunderbeast bipod. I've only shot with it a couple times now, but it is solid, light, and has a 45* position. Definitely not cheap though..

No one has the BT69 tall CAL in canada?
    I found one place that had one in stock on the other end of the country this morning. Their shipping is $$, not any less expensive than getting the shorter one + leg extensions, and still pretty close in $ to the Ckye pod.

Without the extensions it's probably more solid feeling though? I imagine another connection point would introduce a little bit more wobble.

if i needed something taller, i'd probably take a tripod if i could instead.

There are a few threads on here about making your own extensions for the atlas legs. They range from wooden dowels to aluminum tubes. Depends what materials and tools you have available.

I have all the pst, cal gen 2, ckye pod, and tbac. I kept the ckyepod and tbac.

The tbac has the smoothest cant adjustment. It is one of the best no frills prone bipods. Leg deployment and feet deployment are super quick.

Ckye pod is a field bipods given all the adjustments. So if you're on some weird rock or tree the wide stance or wide and 45 degree and then the cant range is huge too so you could have a leg push horizontally against a tree.

My favs are the elite iron and SCAL.
    The elite iron kicks ass in so many various conditions from mud, ice, rock and sand and levels up so smoothly yet easily locks up solid if need be.
    Plus it easily folds up and fits in the bag unlike the SCAL.

Love my ckye-pod, but $$$

My thoughts exactly.

I bought one to use in matches because the only guy that consistently beat me was using one. He let me borrow it on a stage that the match director was trying to design against bipod use, and I was sold.

My thoughts exactly.

I bought one to use in matches because the only guy that consistently beat me was using one. He let me borrow it on a stage that the match director was trying to design against bipod use, and I was sold.
    If you can post up on the PX or look around there someone will have one they want to move. Used market prices for them are pretty good.

I got a as new gen 1.5 Ckye-pod for a good deal on the PX