• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bipod to buy??

bobbyblank

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
Sacramento, Comiefornia
In the process of setting up a .22 caliber setup to try to get into a little more precison shooting. Always shot of sandbags but never used pods before. what hight do most you guys use for bench shooting? would you suggest 6-9" or 9-13" ? I would hate to buy one to short, im 6'1. Its going on a savage .22 rifle.

Also, if buying a harris, are there any special adapters needed for the savage rifles? Or will most harris models fit without?

Thanks again,

bobby

Re: Which bipod to buy??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobbyblank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the process of setting up a .22 caliber setup to try to get into a little more precison shooting. Always shot of sandbags but never used pods before. what hight do most you guys use for bench shooting? would you suggest 6-9" or 9-13" ? I would hate to buy one to short, im 6'1. Its going on a savage .22 rifle.

Also, if buying a harris, are there any special adapters needed for the savage rifles? Or will most harris models fit without?

Thanks again,

bobby
</div></div>
If you're shooting off a bench most of the time, a 6-9" should work well for you, and should also work in the prone position with two possible exceptions:

(1) Frequent shooting at high-angle targets. The 9" maximum height may be too low for high-angle targets. When this happens you have to use whatever is handy to elevate the front end more (place additional support under the bipod such as a ruck).

(2) If you have a large overall build, large upper body or a big belly the 6-9" may also present the problem with high-angle targets, because you may not be able to get your body low enough in relation to the muzzle to get on target. This is especially true while prone.

If you're going to shoot off the bench you may not need a "swivel" bipod (on a Harris the swivel allows the rifle to arc in a fairly large radius so you can level the rifle on uneven ground, ect). Another feature that often comes in handy is the "notched" legs of a Harris. The notched model is much faster to adjust the legs than the non-notched equivalent, although the notches won't always be at the exact height that you want. I think its' a fair tradeoff because in order to adjust the height of the non-notched models you have to turn a thumbscrew, pull the leg out to the desired length, then tighten the thumbscrew. Doing this for both legs is tedious.

If you do get a swivel model you should order a <span style="font-weight: bold">KMW Pod-Loc</span> at the same time. The Pod Loc replaces the knurled factory thumbscrew on the Harris swiwel bipods (it probably works on some other swivel bipods too). While its' just a simple lever, the Pod-Loc is definitely recommended because it makes loosening, adjusting, and tightening the tension adjustment of the swivel easier and faster. The Pod-Loc can also be "parked" out-of-the-way when not in use (handy because it does stick-out more than the factory knurled knob). KMW produces what I believe is the original, but there are knock-offs out there too. As much as I like saving money, I do not believe in supporting counterfeit and other knock-off producing people and companies. That is all I'll say about that.

You can order Harris bipods and KMW Pod Locs from <span style="font-weight: bold">Bauer Arms</span>,<span style="font-weight: bold">Triad Tactical</span>, and <span style="font-weight: bold">Big River Tactical</span>. All are Hide' supporters. I've bought from both Triad and Bauer and they are GTG. While I haven't dealt with Donnie at BRT I've heard only good about him.

Finally, the Harris will attach directly onto factory swivel studs your Savage .22. No adapter is needed.

Keith

Thanks. I was thinking about the harris 6-9" as well, just didnt know if it would be to low because my hight. Ill have to check out the websites you listed. I found non swivel one local today for $74. Wasnt sure if i needed an adapter, so thanks for that. Save me a little cash
smile.gif
. Its more of a range rifle then varmint hunting, so ill probably get a non swivel.

bobby

You want the swivel. First time you shoot when you are not on a bench you will be cussing the non swivel.

I just recieved a 6-9 notched swivel I ordered from Triad Tactical for $87. That is the bipod to have IMO.

-dan

I started with a 9-13 and ended up switching to the 6-9. 6'1" isn't all that tall these days, no offense.

Get the 6-9. I am over 6'2" and it works for me. Swivels and pod locks are good to have, but the people that I usually see with them don't use them. Save your dollars and get the basic. It' resale value is good if and when you want the extras.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6'1" isn't all that tall these days, no offense. </div></div>

Ha, try being 5'5"!

Thank God for adjustable LOP stocks!

Thanks for all the replies! I found a harris 6-9 non-swivel at local shop for $75. I have to say, very imprested with the quality of the product. Compared it to another brand the had for around $50, they were not even close to the same quality. It was just hard to imagine if 6-9 inches would be tall enough if your at a range with smaller benches, but seeing it up close and in your hands made it easy to see it would work.

Again, thanks. Ill post pictures of it on my new toy as soon as damn ten days are up...