• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bladder?

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
Picked up a USMC 3 day pack at a flea market to carry my shooting gear to the range. Has a pouch for a hydration bladder, but not sure which size it takes. Anyone know?

Great bladders, especially the current models with detachable tubes and nozzles. Love them!

You may consider 3L model (that's what I use).

when hiking in hot sun your first sip of water is very warm from sitting in the tube.
Well, the first sip may be, but the rest is deliciously cool. Somehow it manages to maintain the temperature. I filled the bladder with cold water, and it stayed cold till that bladder was empty. Carried in that Eberlestock rucksack.

Yup: Source. Have both Source and Camelbak, both are serviceable but if I knew then what I know now (as they say... ;)) I'd have all Source.

Im assuming these bladders are interchangeable between different models right? Ive got a camelbak that tastes like crap. It has that plastix taste no matter what I do and would love to swap it out

I'm afraid the accessories are not interchangeable, based in my experience with old and new Source bladder system (the old hose wasn't even detachable). Perhaps somebody who tried to connect, say, a hose from one model to a bladder of another, could comment?

P.S. despite that "interoperability" displeasure, Source worked great for me, which is why I've been staying with it and adding more if their bladders to my setup.

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I use this one in my packs. I have 3 of them. They go WAY up in price during the summer strangely but they're coming back down. They were, on Amazon, $60 during July/August but have come back down to $23. I got mine for $17 in December
Amazon.com: Osprey HydraForm Reservoir: Sports & Outdoors

I like the bite valve and the magnet on the back side of the valve. I also like it because it has a hardened back side. If you look at the second picture on the Amazon link the oval shape where the logo is is hard plastic making the bladder very rigid. After using issued camel backs for a while something that was really annoying was the bladder changing shape as I inserted it into its pocket. This hardened back solves that problem.

Amazon.com: Osprey Sternum Three Magnet Kit: Sports & Outdoors

If not, pick that up too. You slip the above on a strap and its much easier to place the bite valve near the magnet and have it just pop on there and you not have to look or use any fine motor skills to pinch an alligator clip or whatever. The magnet is strong enough to snap the valve to it without being right on top of it.
I did have a problem with one of mine leaking in the seam but a call to Osprey and a cell phone picture of the leak (even though it was completely not visible) and they sent me a new one out no questions and no charge. They didn't even want the leaking one back.

Found a quick video showing the features of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpM_inTdmz8

I'll never buy a different one. The hardened back is such a nice feature and the magnet...there's no reason to look elsewhere IMO. A feature the guy didn't mention in his video is with the hardened back I don't need to unload my bag to put the bladder in. The plastic is so rigid I can just shove it down into the hydration pouch in my full pack and I'm ready to go.

I'll probably pick a couple more of these up to add to other packs I have or intend on getting because, as I said before the price of these goes way up during the hotter seasons.

We were issued Camelbacks back in the day. They always came loose, leaked, etc. They were probably good for hikers and for doing chores, but not for field use.

I got a 3 day pack at Tactical Tailor for hiking, and picked up a 3L Source bladder. That thing is MUCH nicer. Better tube, no bite valve, doesn't pull apart easy. The inside is supposed to have a glass like liner making it cleaner and easier to clean. The whole top opens up too for cleaning and it dries easy over a vodka bottle. They come in all sizes.

I didn't wanna pay the price for it at first, I figured a bag with a hose on it is a bag with a hose on it, but it is actually a lot nicer and I wouldn't go back.

a little more expensive but like everything Eberlestock it is very high quality: Eberlestock: 100 oz. / 3 Liter Hydration System

it has an insulated tube which helps to not get the hot first drink and cuts down on possible bacteria growth. Also has a very good mouth piece and cover.

Bear - that is indeed a good bladder, but its not an Eberlestock product, it is made by SOURCE and can be purchased from many other retailers.

The insulated tube does cut down on a hot first sip in the summer and a frozen first sip in the winter, but that weave does NOTHING to cut-down on bacteria growth - in fact depending on materials used in manufacture, it actually may promote it. (Warm, dark & moist areas grow best!)

SOURCE does use materials that are ANTI-bacterial - but those aren't in the tube sleeve! ;)

~Will

Bear - that is indeed a good bladder, but its not an Eberlestock product, it is made by SOURCE and can be purchased from many other retailers.

The insulated tube does cut down on a hot first sip in the summer and a frozen first sip in the winter, but that weave does NOTHING to cut-down on bacteria growth - in fact depending on materials used in manufacture, it actually may promote it. (Warm, dark & moist areas grow best!)

SOURCE does use materials that are ANTI-bacterial - but those aren't in the tube sleeve! ;)

~Will

Thanks for the info/correction, That makes sense

MSR makes a nice and tough bladder. I've been using them for backpacking and is one tough bladder.

Source are okay. I have friends that use them and are satisfied, but they only hike a few times a year. They haven't held up for me. I've busted a few of them over the years. The ones I didn't bust eventually sprouted leaks around the seams. This led to me paying the extra to try the MSR line. I've been using them since. They simply don't break. I have so much faith in them now I regularly toss them in dragbags with equipment. Unless you take a knife point to them, they are not going down.

They taste like plastic, but that goes away. Quicker with a good baking soda soak. I also like that all the parts can be switched out and bought separately. When my dog chewed both ends of the tube I didn't need to buy a whole new bladder, just two pieces of plastic. My only complaint is the use of the color black on the heavy duty ones- makes it hard to know how clean they really are.