• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bottom metals will work with Surgeon Actions

buster hindend

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
I'm in the planning stages of a future build. This rifle will be a hunting rifle. I want this to be a detach mag fed rifle so I can run some VLD. I have one rifle that has the surgeon bottom metal and I'm not real crazy about how far it hangs down past the bottom of the stock. Again this is a hunting rifle and don't want things hanging down that could snag on gear, clothing etc. I know Jared at APA can cut down AI mags to make them somewhat flush and I like that. So that's kinda the direction I would like to go if possible.

I have another with Seekins BM and I really like it. So my question, is will Surgeon actions work well with most bottom metals or does the Surgeon BM work the best? Could I run a Surgeon action and Seekins BM. Trying to get my ducks in a row so I can order a stock and know which components will work together.

Thanks

Re: Which bottom metals will work with Surgeon Actions

Any of the BM that takes AI mags should work. Badger, Seekins, Surgeon, APA, etc.

Buster,

The Surgeon DBM extends below the stock line for several reasons.

1: Maximum support for the magazine on the Z-axis. This allows good control and positioning of the magazine without having to make the mag well size overly tight. Overly tight sounds good until you get a magazine that is on the high side of allowable manufacturing dimensions.

2: Best design for good approach to the magazine well. All four corners of the magazine are controlled for positioning but the sides are cut out. This allows the magazine to be easily grasped and removed even if things get filled with mud or sand. When behind the rifle, all you have to do is hit the rear of the well (back corners) and you are in.

3: Most DBMs allow the magazine position to be moved or biased while locked in place. For example, if you are pushing into a pack, rail, barricade, rock, etc. to use as a hasty rest, the front of the magazine can come into contact with the object and alter the position of the top round enough to cause a feed failure on some setups. The Surgeon DBM places a 5 round magazine almost flush with the front of the mag well. The Surgeon DBM is also a favorite with many competitors because they can cram the front of the DBM into the barricade without any function issues.

4: With the exception of a cut down/ shortened magazine, all magazines are going to extend below the bottom of the rifle stock anyway.

Seekins also makes very good DBM systems. So it sounds like you have some good choices.

Good luck with your project.

OK, what about this, what if I wanted to build a 6.5x47L and shoot the 130 Berger VLD, could I build it on a long action and use a BDL set up? How about with a Wyatts box?

I have been known to be biased from time to time.

So...

Surgeon BM

Others will work but hey, Surgeon action = Surgeon BM

For a hunting rifle I'd go Seekins,APA or Surgeon. I worry about the one's with the extended mag release latch like Badger,PTG or Accurate Mag snagging something in thick brush and releasing the magazine accidentally. I used APA on my hunting rifle and love it!

I thought a Surgeon action had the same bottom cut as a Remington 700. Is that not correct?

If running the Surgeon 591 I'd run the Surgeon DBM. Dont worry about it hanging down under the rifle. You'll never know it's there. The magazine hangs lower than the DBM does.