• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which Brake for .338 Lapua Remington 700??

Jer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
Loveland, Colorado
I've been searching and I'm finding threads that are leaning towards the Badger FTE but they are all about a year old. Just curious what is the best brake to buy TODAY. Has there been any changes in the last year or so and if so what are some pros cons of what's available. I keep seeing mention of a group buy as well but can't seem to find any details of that. I would appreciate your opinion on what offers the best recoil suppression as well as pries of each one as this is a consideration as well. Look for the best recoil reduction per dollar I can get. I'm pretty sure this bbl has a 5/8-24 thread from the factory.

Thanks!

Re: Which Brake for .338 Lapua Remington 700??

I have a SureFire on my 338 Lapua. I think it is perfect. The shooter does not get blasted. The recoil reduction is good and its not a big nasty dogknot on the end of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SureFire on my 338 Lapua. I think it is perfect. The shooter does not get blasted. The recoil reduction is good and its not a big nasty dogknot on the end of the barrel. </div></div>

Edit: Looks like that brake doesn't thread onto the threads already on the R700.

Midwayusa.com.. I think they run about $180.00. They cost a little more than the Badger FTE. Also if you live in a state where suppressors are legal it serves as an attaching point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard
</div></div>

Who sells them? Do they thread on?

Even the Badger "Thruster" brake is more than adequate. I've had the Vias,Both Badger's and the Accuracy International (new style) brake on 4 different 338LM sticks-they all work.

The Vias is PITA to clean though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even the Badger "Thruster" brake is more than adequate. I've had the Vias,Both Badger's and the Accuracy International (new style) brake on 4 different 338LM sticks-they all work.

The Vias is PITA to clean though. </div></div>

So in your opinion which gives the best performance per dollar? Needs to thread onto R700 stock threads and also needs to not have issues blowing debris when shooting prone since that's likely what I'll do most.

I saw the site for APA on the Fat Bastard but it says 'starting at $145' which means with my luck it's over $200 so I don't want to get my hopes up. I can't seem to find a vendor that lists it with actual pricing for the 338 version.

ftebrake002.jpg

This is what I run on my GAP .338LM...Badger's FTE...it works great. Dogknot or whatever, it gets the job done and diverts the blast to both sides and not down. Easy to remove and clean with no POI change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I run on my GAP .338LM...Badger's FTE...it works great. Dogknot or whatever, it gets the job done and diverts the blast to both sides and not down. Easy to remove and clean with no POI change. </div></div>

I'm trying to get an answer from someone who knows for sure if the Badger FTE will thread directly onto the Remington 700 .338LM bbl.

Hey I wasn't making fun of the FTE. I just like the look of the SureFire. As long as the comp has a couple of baffles it will work. However I put a Holland quick discharge three port on a 300wsm. it worked but was very loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard
</div></div>

Who sells them? Do they thread on? </div></div>

Fat Bastard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard
</div></div>

Call Bill or Mr. Joplin....

They will take good care of you

A buddy had an idea and I'm thinking about trying it. I have a FSC556 from PWS w/the QD threads for my suppressor on my shorty AR15 and it works awesome. I'm thinking about buying a FSC30 and then having the bore machined a little larger to clear the 338 round. The part can be had for about $100 and I know they work great so perhaps it's worth a shot since it's about half the price of the other options listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard
</div></div>

They will take good care of you </div></div>

I wish they would just list their prices in their 'price list' link. Otherwise what's the purpose of the 'price list' option?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA Fat Bastard
</div></div>

They will take good care of you </div></div>

I wish they would just list their prices in their 'price list' link. Otherwise what's the purpose of the 'price list' option? </div></div>

Or maybe you should scroll down and look at the price of the brake. It's listed clear as day on the site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or maybe you should scroll down and look at the price of the brake. It's listed clear as day on the site. </div></div>

You mean just like I noted above when I said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the site for APA on the Fat Bastard but it says 'starting at $145' which means with my luck it's over $200 so I don't want to get my hopes up. I can't seem to find a vendor that lists it with actual pricing for the 338 version.</div></div>

Thanks for your condescending and incredibly helpful post though. I only hope I'm able to return the helpfulness someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jer, I doubt that you will find a direct "screw on" without any gunsmithing though. </div></div>

If the barrel is threaded at 5/8-24 and a brake is listed as the same thread pitch why won't it just thread on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or maybe you should scroll down and look at the price of the brake. It's listed clear as day on the site. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the site for APA on the Fat Bastard but it says 'starting at $145' which means with my luck it's over $200 so I don't want to get my hopes up. I can't seem to find a vendor that lists it with actual pricing for the 338 version.</div></div>

Thanks for your condescending and incredibly helpful post though. I only hope I'm able to return the helpfulness someday. </div></div>

And what would make you think it would cost more? A 338 bore isn't that special...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or maybe you should scroll down and look at the price of the brake. It's listed clear as day on the site. </div></div>

Thanks for your condescending and incredibly helpful post though. I only hope I'm able to return the helpfulness someday. </div></div>

And what would make you think it would cost more? A 338 bore isn't that special... </div></div>

You can stop posting in this thread any time now as you are of no help. I appreciate input and first hand knowledge. What I don't appreciate is condescending posts that offer no help so that's why I'm asking you politely to leave this thread since you clearly have nothing positive to offer it.

Condescending? And you weren't one bit of APAs price list when everything is listed on their site? If you have a special request why not just email or call them?

As for the APA brake, does it work? There is a vid out there of a 8 year old kid shooting multiple round with one on a 338LM. Yeah, I would say so.

Bar none the "Fat Bastard" brake by APA is the best brake I have ever used in over 30 years of shooting rifles with brakes. I highly reccommend the Fat Bastard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bar none the "Fat Bastard" brake by APA is the best brake I have ever used in over 30 years of shooting rifles with brakes. I highly reccommend the Fat Bastard. </div></div>

Have you used it on a 338 Lapua rifle? If so what did it cost and does it thread right onto the Remington barrel? Just trying to get some additional first hand info if you did. If not thanks for the info you've already posted.

You aren't going to get a FB brake that just threads right on. It will have to be timed to have the ports come out in the right place when it is tight.

The FTE comes in 5/8-24. I have a 700 in 8mm Magnum -every bit the match for the 338LM I thought I was just playing around when I threaded the stock pencil (sporter) barrel but the thing worked out great. I have actually fired a round with the rifle in one hand, unsupported and standing-sorta in a picture taking stance...no problems at all with recoil anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't going to get a FB brake that just threads right on. It will have to be timed to have the ports come out in the right place when it is tight. </div></div>

That's what peel washers are for.

Peel Washers?? That's exactly what I was saying to myself.

But maybe that's too "AR" for most folks.

Hey Jer, keep us posted as to what you do to your .338 Lapua. I am very much leaning that way too. Take care, man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peel Washers?? That's exactly what I was saying to myself.

Hey Jer, keep us posted as to what you do to your .338 Lapua. I am very much leaning that way too. Take care, man. </div></div>

I wasn't aware something could be 'too AR' if it's a simple mechanical fix for a problem. Guess there's much to learn about the 'sniper community' isn't there? Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peel Washers?? That's exactly what I was saying to myself.

Hey Jer, keep us posted as to what you do to your .338 Lapua. I am very much leaning that way too. Take care, man. </div></div>

I wasn't aware something could be 'too AR' if it's a simple mechanical fix for a problem. Guess there's much to learn about the 'sniper community' isn't there? Lol </div></div>

Jer,

A good smith will want to see that the brake is timed correctly. I dont think anybody was giving you a hard time. In all honesty short of going to a clamshell brake you will be pressed to do better than the APA brake. Raydog makes some good stuff also. Long story short. Do it right, have it sent to a good smith and get it timed up right.

Mine and others thoughts, your mileage may vary.