• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which brand of sizing die pushes the shoulder back the most

Choid

Anti Bodyfat Activist
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Assuming you screw the die all the way to the shellplate, which brand, or sub brand, is going to give you the most shoulder bump? Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the shoulder but a small base die would size the case down farthest I believe.
What are you looking to do?

I'm good on body, I just have a rifle that needs the shoulder pushed back a little further than my current die will do. I know I can have the bottom of the die faced, but I'd rather just buy something.

Redding competition shell holders allow 2 thou increments in depth.

617FU9YYKjL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

^^^ The Redding Competition Shell Holders INCREASE the length of shoulder bump, NOT decease it, meaning, if you set your standard .125" decked shell holder to the maximum it can shoulder bump, these shell holders increase shoulder length by .002" (.004", .006", .008" and .010"), not decrease it.

They work great to adjust for different brass or freshly annealed brass.

Anyone who actually uses these knows this.

If you want / need more shoulder bump from a die, you'll need to do one of two things. 1. shave off a standard shell holder or 2. Face off the bottom of the F/L die. I've done both.

Reactions: pabrousseau
No, they go the opposite direction. I am not looking for a different shellholder, though.

Get another shell holder and shave it on a flat stone. I've had to do that with one of the calibers I reload. Each rifle get's a different shell holder.

He would need to add material to a shell holder not shave off correct? to bump the shoulder more.

He would need to add material to a shell holder not shave off correct? to bump the shoulder more.

To bump it more you need it to go deeper into the die. If you shave off the top of the shell holder it allows brass to go in further, assuming you are camming over with the shell holder on the bottom of the die. I took off two thou on a flat stone to get the brass in further, bumping the shoulder back two thou more.

Great discussion on shellholders, but it is on a progressive, so I don't have that option.

I was trying to size fired 556 brass to fit a Compass Lake Barrel, and I couldn't do it with my progressive set up. I figured it might be the plate, so I tried on my Zero as well, with the same dies, but no dice. Anyway, I went through every 223 die I have, and the only one that would get it small enough, on the Zero and/or the Mark 7, was Whidden. It did it with room to spare.

Since the CLE gives you an absolute number goal, it isn't hit or miss as much as it is a pretty short chamber. It's just about equal to virgin starline 223 brass.

What a clusterfuck…

Redding dies push the shoulder back the most. Forster the least. Redding bests Forster by about .004”

What a clusterfuck…

Redding dies push the shoulder back the most. Forster the least. Redding bests Forster by about .004”
Thanks. FWIW, in 223 Whidden pushes it back even more.