• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which buis makes sense for a SHTF rifle?

Bridgebuilder34

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2021
CA
I’m currently pricing out parts for my one and only,one and done AR. I’d like my AR to have BUIS. Would it make sense to have a QD scope mount with buis directly over bore or a non QD scope mount with offset irons?

Based on this info I’ll start researching Buis and a scope mount. It’s going to be a lpvo with a red dot on the forward scope ring. Any info or suggestions is appreciated.

On my Aero M5 I have a Leupold DPP as a backup to the primary XRTii 4-20:

156D9114-EA76-4786-BC7F-02C912272D50.png

For my LWRCi AR pistol I use a Leuphold DPP as a primary and have Magpul Pro flip-ups, for backup.

8C8C60B1-F31C-4A51-9A88-1D79F19866D2.jpeg

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
For a hard use carbine, I really like the Daniel Defense A1.5 sights. I haven’t found anything I like better. They have been rock solid for me, but that’s not gonna work for your optic setup. On my scoped ARs, I’m running the plastic Magpul flip ups. They are serviceable sights, but not my favorite.

So you want triple redundancy? Given how good even budget optics are getting the probability of a fantasy playing out where the optic goes down, the levers on a QD mount get flipped, and a transition to irons ensues is low, really low. Especially if there's already a secondary optic attached to the primary optic.

I've gone the way of a non-QD scope mount containing a LPVO or MPVO with offset iron sights as a secondary or back up sighting system. I've run a few different sets of offset iron sights but I like the Magpul Offset irons as they're an overall well rounded package being durable, compact, it zeros without tools, and works pretty well out to 300. You could run an offset red dot also but I like the irons because to me they're the ultimate back up, no batteries, no electronics, just simplicity.

If your talking about 10-20 yards on larger targets, keep the target in the red dot “window”.

If the dot is there or not, decent practice /fundamentals will make you effective

Not saying don’t get back ups..more stuff is always fun but you might not really need it depending on your needs

I’ve personally gone to a non-QD mount simply to save weight (Reptilia). I am very confident my primary optic will do what I need but I’m also a little paranoid (more about a dead battery than a failed optic).

My go to on my rifle is a PLXc 1-8 with a piggyback RMR. I keep the PLXc on 2-4x and spent the $ on the RMR because their battery usage is well documented. I went with the MIL reticle to not have a reticle that requires illumination (especially over 2x).

I run Magpul Pros, but would also consider the MBUS Gen 3

Me personally I like the Troy HK style front sight and GG&G rear buis. The GG&G has a dial to go from small to large apature and sits really low so it will fit under a scope easier.

I prefer red dot centerline with QD. if it doesn't work, just drop it. I run Aimpoint, so that's not too likely, but stuff happens with glass (breaks, fogging)

Get Magpul MBUS 3 straight from Magpul(to ensure they're not knockoffs) . Never used the new MBUS 3 (likely very few knockoffs) but honestly, the originals work great even as primary sights. Just because they're polymer on the outside, doesn't mean they aren't durable.

Make sure they work with your optics.

I prefer red dot centerline with QD. if it doesn't work, just drop it. I run Aimpoint, so that's not too likely, but stuff happens with glass (breaks, fogging)

Get Magpul MBUS 3 straight from Magpul(to ensure they're not knockoffs) . Never used the new MBUS 3 (likely very few knockoffs) but honestly, the originals work great even as primary sights. Just because they're polymer on the outside, doesn't mean they aren't durable.

Make sure they work with your optics.

I traded out my mbus 3's for the pro's. the whole spring to action feels gimmicky too me.

The money you would spend on a good quality QD mount and BUIS, would make a good start toward a entire backup AR.

Reactions: jb0311