• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bullet for .300 winmag long range in an AI AXMC (11 twist)

jim996

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2018
I’m thinking of adding a .300 win mag barrel to my AXMC and wanted to ask people on here which high BC bullets people are using that work with the 1/11 twist on the AI barrel? I’ve researched some of the heavier Berger and Hornady bullets but they all seem to need a 1-10 or higher twist to be stable.

Target bullets only, I’m not hunting. Thanks in advance

Maybe try the new 195 ELD-M from Hornady? What elevation are you shooting at?

Generally shooting at 350-max 1000 ft elevation

Thanks guys. I’ve not ordered the barrel yet I was just using the Information AI puts out in its marketing. The AI AXMC data sheet says the barrel is 11 twist and that was what was concerning me. Agree the 10 twist is better for the heavy bullets

Generally shooting at 350-max 1000 ft elevation
Is that 350 yard (or meter) max distance? At that distance the high BC of the heavy/long bullets doesn't give you much advantage. Get some 185 grainers.

double check, I think they are 1-10

.300 (MAG AND NORMA MAG)= 1:10 TWIST from the MHSA website

Edited to add, I think the very old AWSM was 1-11, but AI has been 1-10 for quite a while now the only place I see a 1-11 is Wiki

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Just on the range question. The ranges I will be shooting on are at an elevation of anywhere between 350 and 1000 Ft above sea level. The long range I shoot on goes out to 2 miles so realistically looking to build a load that goes out to 1500 metres for the 300 win mag.

I got the 1 in 11 twist info from the data sheet.

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/assets/axmcdatasheetuk.pdf

I think I need 1 in 10 twist to shoot the heavier bullets? The US version of the AXMC might be supplied with a 1 in 10 where the UK is a 1 in 11??

I called, the difference is,

In the UK they used Lothar barrels which were 1-11, but in the US they are all 1-10.

You'd probably have to specify because they use more than one barrel maker outside of the US

But US Barrels are 1-10

Reactions: az _desert
I shoot a GA Hospitaler in .300WM. I load a 215gr hybrid over a warm load of H1000 pushing right around 2,750 FPS (just under pressure signs). It smacks at 1,500 very well.
I would shoot it over my comp rifle if the recoil didn’t prevent from self spotting easily. It rides those bullets like they were on a rail.

I have an AX with a 1-11 barrel and it loves SMK 190's. 81 gr. H1000 gives me 3050 Ft/sec in Nosler and 3070 in PPU. It just works and just works really well. I have taken it out to 1400m and can hit thumb tacks at 100m.

I have some 200.20x that I want to try but every time I sit down to load I can't see past the 190's.

Reactions: jim996
Thanks for your help. Just on the range question. The ranges I will be shooting on are at an elevation of anywhere between 350 and 1000 Ft above sea level. The long range I shoot on goes out to 2 miles so realistically looking to build a load that goes out to 1500 metres for the 300 win mag.

I got the 1 in 11 twist info from the data sheet.

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/assets/axmcdatasheetuk.pdf

I think I need 1 in 10 twist to shoot the heavier bullets? The US version of the AXMC might be supplied with a 1 in 10 where the UK is a 1 in 11??
You could just check it

AI have confirmed that the .300 win mag Barrel supplied in the UK is an 11 twist

I have an AX with a 1-11 barrel and it loves SMK 190's. 81 gr. H1000 gives me 3050 Ft/sec in Nosler and 3070 in PPU. It just works and just works really well. I have taken it out to 1400m and can hit thumb tacks at 100m.

I have some 200.20x that I want to try but every time I sit down to load I can't see past the 190's.

Hey mate, did you end up trying the 200.20x in the 1:11? This is what I had in mind. Thanks

No, not yet. I have been shooting some PRS and have focused on 6.5x47 for the last while. I will be playing around in August and think I will try starting at 79grs of H1000 and go from there. Then I'm sure a flat line or 2 might be worth a try. 198's sound interesting.

Have fun...

Reactions: Dee-Rex